The pop up ads on this site

NighthawkVol

I know it’s a free site and ads are needed to keep it going. But I’m really tired of trying to post, an ad pops up, my iOS keyboard goes away, and I’ve entered an ad. Then I have to retype an entire post. I thought it might be a temporary glitch, but it’s happened for awhile now. Both on phone and MacBook.

Is this happening to others?

Reactions: MarcoVol
I know it’s a free site and ads are needed to keep it going. But I’m really tired of trying to post, an ad pops up, my iOS keyboard goes away, and I’ve entered an ad. Then I have to retype an entire post. I thought it might be a temporary glitch, but it’s happened for awhile now. Both on phone and MacBook.

I don’t see any ads but I will be typing a post or elsewise on the site and all of a sudden my page will refresh on its own. Have lost many a post to it. Really annoying and until now I had no idea what it was. Maybe the ads are being blocked but it’s still refreshing my page. @Freak ?

Reactions: LouderVol

The page refresh issue is one I’ve been dealing with and struggling to fix, if that is what you’re referring to?

You’re saying an ad pops up and the keyboard goes away on iOS? Is this on safari? Is it a specific ad or just random? This also happens on MacBook? I’ve seen a couple of people mention this but I believe they were on android and it didn’t seem to be a very common thing.

Provide any more details you can as I have a meeting about this later in the week.

Last edited:
Reactions: NighthawkVol
I don’t see any ads but I will be typing a post or elsewise on the site and all of a sudden my page will refresh on its own. Have lost many a post to it. Really annoying and until now I had no idea what it was. Maybe the ads are being blocked but it’s still refreshing my page. @Freak ?
This is the issue I’m aware of and still working on.

The page refresh issue is one I’ve been dealing with and struggling to fix, if that is what you’re referring to?

You’re saying an ad pops up and the keyboard goes away on iOS? Is this on safari? Is it a specific ad or just random? This also happens on MacBook? I’ve seen a couple of people mention this but I believe they were on android and it didn’t seem to be a very common thing.

Provide any more details you can as I have a meeting about this later in the week.
Maybe it’s refreshing. But I’m typing, then I end up hitting an ad and it goes to that. I’ll pay more attention next time and report back. Thanks, Freak.

Also, when you guys get the page refresh issue, can you post a link to what page you're on when it happens? I'm starting to wonder if there could be another embed on the page that's interfering with things.

I know @Orangeslice13 was having the issue this week.

Thanks

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Maybe it’s refreshing. But I’m typing, then I end up hitting an ad and it goes to that. I’ll pay more attention next time and report back. Thanks, Freak.
Also, have you tried the web app? Or are you currently using it? And you only notice this issue when typing a reply, correct?

And as always, you might try clearing your cache/temp files in safari. That's always a good first step. Sometimes it can clear out any code that might be stuck in there and improve the situation.

Last edited:
Nighthawk, if you do see an ad popping up over the keyboard, that's a different issue that I've seen a couple of other people have. If you can grab a screenshot next time, that might help.

Nighthawk, if you do see an ad popping up over the keyboard, that's a different issue that I've seen a couple of other people have. If you can grab a screenshot next time, that might help.

The keyboard disappearing was another issue on iPhone Safari but have not seen that recently.

Is it happening while typing a post or no?

It’s been chronic for me for over a month. It got better for a while when the web app became available, but got bad again after a week or two. I think that you mentioned turning off the auto save around that time.

I see it happening whether I’m creating a post or not.

I just copy my longer posts to the clipboard every couple of minutes.

I’ve noticed the screen flashing to all white (refreshing?) a lot within a minute or two of initially getting on VN. I’m not certain, but I don’t think I’m losing as many unfinished posts after I’ve been on VN for more than a few minutes.

It’s been chronic for me for over a month. It got better for a while when the web app became available, but got bad again after a week or two. I think that you mentioned turning off the auto save around that time.

I see it happening whether I’m creating a post or not.

I just copy my longer posts to the clipboard every couple of minutes.

I’ve noticed the screen flashing to all white (refreshing?) a lot within a minute or two of initially getting on VN. I’m not certain, but I don’t think I’m losing as many unfinished posts after I’ve been on VN for more than a few minutes.
We made a change that was supposed to help the page refresh causing lost posts but I’m not sure how much it helped. Keep an eye on that going forward and let me know, if you think about it.

I haven’t been on VN a whole lot the last day or two, but it’s working much better right now. I haven’t been getting the refresh that blows up posts as they’re being written.

VN Store

Back