The Official 2024 UFL Thread

@VolsSportsFan

You probably know Spring football better than any of us, what was your take after the first weekend compared to the previous attempts?

@VolsSportsFan

You probably know Spring football better than any of us, what was your take after the first weekend compared to the previous attempts?

It was about as I expected. I was disappointed with Fox's coverage, it seemed a step back from their USFL coverage last year, but ESPN's coverage was just as good imo.

It was a nice touch I thought Birmingham running out with the USFL trophy to hype up the whole "USFL/XFL Champion" clash. The crowds were a bit disappointing imo. Arlington's looked terrible at kick off but filled in better, and San Antonio's was ok, but Detroit looked a bit smaller than last year and Houston's wasn't great.

The football itself was pretty decent. Just me but I still miss them being 2 seperate leagues and I miss some of the XFL teams but maybe if it they do well enough they can slowly bring some back.

Reactions: MAD
It was about as I expected. I was disappointed with Fox's coverage, it seemed a step back from their USFL coverage last year, but ESPN's coverage was just as good imo.

It was a nice touch I thought Birmingham running out with the USFL trophy to hype up the whole "USFL/XFL Champion" clash. The crowds were a bit disappointing imo. Arlington's looked terrible at kick off but filled in better, and San Antonio's was ok, but Detroit looked a bit smaller than last year and Houston's wasn't great.

The football itself was pretty decent. Just me but I still miss them being 2 seperate leagues and I miss some of the XFL teams but maybe if it they do well enough they can slowly bring some back.

During the Showboats game, they talked about some 4th and 20 conversion thing. That sounded pretty gimmicky.

I know the TV ratings are the most important measurable and I'm assuming they will give the league 2-3 years before they would pull the plug, but the in person engagement (aka attendance) looks pretty bleak outside of STL and to a lesser extent DC.

San Antonio was supposed to be another STL but their attendance has dropped down to 11K, that's down from the high of 24K in last year's opener. And they aren't getting the support they got when they had the Commanders in 2019 in the AAF. Arlington had an announced crowd of 8400 and there were closer to 5K actual people there. Birmingham had 12K but they are only selling half the stadium and the lower bowl only.

Dormandy balling out for San Antonio today. Lost the starting job in camp, but he’s in the game today and playing well.

VN Store

Back