The Gardening Thread

GVF, are you the one that bought the Carmine Jewel cherry bushes? If so, thoughts and from where?
I ordered from here: Spent a lot of time on Google before I ran accross this grower. For what I wanted in a cherry, it had to be a bush & had to be Carmine Jewel.

You'll probably have to call and see if they have any left. It's currently not listed (think it goes on their list in the fall), and they move these plants quickly. I ordered back in the fall and they shipped early march.

It was bare root and well cared for and packaged. With shipping I paid about the same price as Gurney's just for the plant, but I was very happy and would order from them again. My bush shipped atleast 36" tall already. Other online retailers ship much smaller for same price. It was already soaked (wet wrapped root), but I did soak it for a few extra hours before planting. It is thriving and healthy. Leaves budded out well for what top end the plant has. Just looking forward to a warm spell so it can kick in gear.

Check Gurney's. Still have the dormant 4" pots availble for $35.00. My 3' foot bare root was $33.00, but I also paid $28 shipping from WA. To me it was worth it for what I received. Not many places will have much of a selection left, and if your itching to get in the ground this year/spring you may consider the Gurney's plant even if it's likely only about a 6" sprout.

Last edited:
Reactions: zhangliao04
I ordered from here: Spent a lot of time on Google before I ran accross this grower. For what I wanted in a cherry, it had to be a bush & had to be Carmine Jewel.

You'll probably have to call and see if they have any left. It's currently not listed (think it goes on their list in the fall), and they move these plants quickly. I ordered back in the fall and they shipped early march.

It was bare root and well cared for and packaged. With shipping I paid about the same price as Gurney's just for the plant, but I was very happy and would order from them again. My bush shipped atleast 36" tall already. Other online retailers ship much smaller for same price. It was already soaked (wet wrapped root), but I did soak it for a few extra hours before planting. It is thriving and healthy. Leaves budded out well for what top end the plant has. Just looking forward to a warm spell so it can kick in gear.

Check Gurney's. Still have the dormant 4" pots availble for $35.00. My 3' foot bare root was $33.00, but I also paid $28 shipping from WA. To me it was worth it for what I received. Not many places will have much of a selection left, and if your itching to get in the ground this year/spring you may consider the Gurney's plant even if it's likely only about a 6" sprout.
I will do that, thanks. This summer we will be filling out the backyard with how we want it to look and I’ve got the wife on the idea of a cherry bush or two along with some grape vines growing on a fence trellis (she likes that look).

Reactions: VolNExile
Getting mine tilled this evening. Peppers, Romanesco, Broccoli, Brussels going in first. Have to check okra and eggplant. THey may not be big enough. I think I pretty much got all my herbs in, but I forgot to get some chives. Rest of mine other than tomatoes will be direct sow. No need to start corn, beans, squashes, cukes, melons etc. THey come up pretty quick on direct sowing.

Gonna try a honey bush butternut this year. Smaller, sweeter, and only about 3-4 foot vines. Last time i did butternut, they ran half the length of the garden. Got a new variety yellow squash this year from Burpee. Vertical grower.

Disappointed in trying to start Brocolli Rabe. Seeded it twice, It just stays leggy. But I had some regular garden center brocolli as a back up.

Filled up my other set of grow bag with compost yesterday. Will be spreading carrots and golden beats in that. Tater bags coming along. Not quite ready for next layer of soil though.
I planted chives 14 years ago. still there, slowly spreading. 14 years is the longest we've lived anywhere.

Reactions: GVF and VolNExile
I will do that, thanks. This summer we will be filling out the backyard with how we want it to look and I’ve got the wife on the idea of a cherry bush or two along with some grape vines growing on a fence trellis (she likes that look).
There are other options for a bush cherry other than CJ. Depends on what you want it for. And you may want more than one variety. Juliet and Romeo seem like well travelled varieties. CJ is sweeter for fresh eating (which was my 1st criteria) but can be canned and cooked with as well. Also self-pollinating. I think it is billed as the sweetest of the dwarf bushes. And the varieties on the trees is even greater. And mainly I didn't want to deal with a large tree in the future. For my wants, the CJ was the logical all-purpose choice. If I wanted it in the ground this spring and just now ordering and really wanted the CJ, I'd take the 4" pot at Gurney's. I got a Razzmataz grape and some strawberries from them I'm well pleased with.

Reactions: zhangliao04
I had mine in a raised bed. We only snipped the tops to cook with or use as a garnish.
I've got most of my herbs in pots. I sort of *cough* abandoned a few at the end of last fall, and to my amazement, the chives came back, along with the French tarragon (which is woody, so a little less surprising.)

There are other options for a bush cherry other than CJ. Depends on what you want it for. And you may want more than one variety. Juliet and Romeo seem like well travelled varieties. CJ is sweeter for fresh eating (which was my 1st criteria) but can be canned and cooked with as well. Also self-pollinating. I think it is billed as the sweetest of the dwarf bushes. And the varieties on the trees is even greater. And mainly I didn't want to deal with a large tree in the future. For my wants, the CJ was the logical all-purpose choice. If I wanted it in the ground this spring and just now ordering and really wanted the CJ, I'd take the 4" pot at Gurney's. I got a Razzmataz grape and some strawberries from them I'm well pleased with.
Interesting, I was reading that the CJ was actually a good balance between tart and sweet which made me think it was a middle of the pack in sweetness. And I did see the Juliet and Romeo varieties reading that the Juliet can be pretty sweet even more than some tree cherries. This made me think the Juliet was at or near the top for sweet bush cherries. Have you had fresh CJ cherries before?

Interesting, I was reading that the CJ was actually a good balance between tart and sweet which made me think it was a middle of the pack in sweetness. And I did see the Juliet and Romeo varieties reading that the Juliet can be pretty sweet even more than some tree cherries. This made me think the Juliet was at or near the top for sweet bush cherries. Have you had fresh CJ cherries before?
You may be right. I might have been thinking of another one. The CJ being balanced and versatile is probably why I chose it. The Juliet gets really good customer reviews on Gurney's as well. Not sure what the typical store cherry is besides the Ranier.

I've not had fresh CJ's before that I'm aware of. Looking forward to maybe getting a few on the bush this year and get a taste. I did go back and look at the descriptions and I think my deciding factor for the CJ over the Juliet was possibly better resistence to disease and pests.

VN Store

Back