The Fishing Thread

One time me and my brother-in-law were surf fishing (how many stories start like that?) and we got a huge hook and wire leader and put a whole ladyfish on it. We argued about who was going to take it out and I lost. So I got into a sea kayak and took it out about 200 yards. That kind of freaked me out a bit because I know that sharks were in the area. (I had seen a large black shadow swim in front of me about 50 yards away during the day when I was out in the kayak. It wasn't Flipper the friendly dolphin. And when I say large, I mean man sized). Lucky for me, apple pie moonshine made me brave. The result was just a fish skeleton when we reeled it in - the crabs got it. So we didn't do that again.

It's going to be a week and a half at least before things get somewhat back to normal.
Probably so, they're also moving a lot of water through Old Hickory, I'm not going out there for at least a week. I'm going to give Priest a try in a few days, although it might be a tough bite there also, depends on how the water looks.

Good thing about Priest is it warms up faster than Old Hickory, probably where i should have went my first two trips anyway. I have a hate hate relationship with Priest though, me and that lake just don't get along.

Norris is a giant mud puddle as well. We are still catching large/smallmouth on small crank baits were the really muddy water meats the main channel. Its not been too bad considering the conditions.....I just found this thread and I am pumped. I am an avid fisherman.

One time me and my brother-in-law were surf fishing (how many stories start like that?) and we got a huge hook and wire leader and put a whole ladyfish on it. We argued about who was going to take it out and I lost. So I got into a sea kayak and took it out about 200 yards. That kind of freaked me out a bit because I know that sharks were in the area. (I had seen a large black shadow swim in front of me about 50 yards away during the day when I was out in the kayak. It wasn't Flipper the friendly dolphin. And when I say large, I mean man sized). Lucky for me, apple pie moonshine made me brave. The result was just a fish skeleton when we reeled it in - the crabs got it. So we didn't do that again.

This story started with great promise and ended up with me feeling ripped off.

Born - your are right. I got halfway into it then realized it was going nowhere but I posted it anyway. My apologies to all who read it. But let me see if I can get a quick salvage - once I saw this skinny redneck battle a stingray for about 20 minutes. When he got it in, him and his buddy didn't know what to do with it. So they threw a lawn chair on top of it, unhooked it and let it flop back into the surf. I have used "the lawn chair" technique ever since. Now - I have bequeathed knowledge to the unwashed. Is the somewhat better?

Well, I've got a 6'6 mh St. Croix Mojo rod that is my worm rod. I also have a 5'8 Tennessee Guide rod that I throw some jerk baits on. Then I have a couple normal 'ole rods I throw smaller-medium sized crankbaits on. So now I'm looking to get a bigger rod to throw the deep diving crankbaits like the Strike King 6xd, just wanting to know what rod I should get. I'm looking to spend $60-$100 on the rod and put the BPS Pro Qualifier reel on it. Any suggestions:hi:

I may have to dust off the old Shimano reel I got, and go fishing this year. I miss it, although I don't miss a Gamakatsu hook going through my thumb, and a treble hook at that. Still skiddish about grabbing a fish, but I'll get over it someday. LOL!!

Well, I've got a 6'6 mh St. Croix Mojo rod that is my worm rod. I also have a 5'8 Tennessee Guide rod that I throw some jerk baits on. Then I have a couple normal 'ole rods I throw smaller-medium sized crankbaits on. So now I'm looking to get a bigger rod to throw the deep diving crankbaits like the Strike King 6xd, just wanting to know what rod I should get. I'm looking to spend $60-$100 on the rod and put the BPS Pro Qualifier reel on it. Any suggestions:hi:
The BPS cranking stick is around $69 or $79 dollars. A medium action 7' BPS Extreme is my main crankbait rod, paired with a 5.4.1 Extreme reel. These are good rod and reels for the money. Around $169.00 for a combo if you catch it on sale.

Now for little cranks, like the ones most people throw on spinning tackle i actually have a baitcast setup for those. This one is a lot more pricey though. 5.4.1 Revo wench reel paired with a 7 foot Fenwick medium action fast tip rod. This is my cadillac setup for small cranks when you need more power than spinning gear. I like to power fish period, this setup lets me do that with even the smallest crankbaits. Sweet setup, but pricey. This combo will cost right at 400 bucks, but it's worth it to me, it's made me some money.

The BPS cranking stick is around $69 or $79 dollars. A medium action 7' BPS Extreme is my main crankbait rod, paired with a 5.4.1 Extreme reel. These are good rod and reels for the money. Around $169.00 for a combo if you catch it on sale.

Now for little cranks, like the ones most people throw on spinning tackle i actually have a baitcast setup for those. This one is a lot more pricey though. 5.4.1 Revo wench reel paired with a 7 foot Fenwick medium action fast tip rod. This is my cadillac setup for small cranks when you need more power than spinning gear. I like to power fish period, this setup lets me do that with even the smallest crankbaits. Sweet setup, but pricey. This combo will cost right at 400 bucks, but it's worth it to me, it's made me some money.

Thanks. I know the cranking stick is on sale for $59 right now, and I've been thinking about it. I've also looked at All Stars crankbait rods and theyve got a mh at 7'2 that should throw deep divers well and their only $79.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Thanks. I know the cranking stick is on sale for $59 right now, and I've been thinking about it. I've also looked at All Stars crankbait rods and theyve got a mh at 7'2 that should throw deep divers well and their only $79.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
Rods have gotten better over the years even the cheaper ones. Most of your money is spent in Reels. Weight of the reel and drag tension are the two biggest factors that make one reel that much higher than another and bearings which really is a little overrated. Number of bearings isn't really as important as the quality of bearings. Rods not so much, just grades of graphite and glass.

I actually need to go buy another crankbait rod and reel combo myself. Line size is critical sometimes and switching spools on my Extreme eats up a lot of time.

Rods have gotten better over the years even the cheaper ones. Most of your money is spent in Reels. Weight of the reel and drag tension are the two biggest factors that make one reel that much higher than another and bearings which really is a little overrated. Number of bearings isn't really as important as the quality of bearings. Rods not so much, just grades of graphite and glass.

I actually need to go buy another crankbait rod and reel combo myself. Line size is critical sometimes and switching spools on my Extreme eats up a lot of time.

Ok and for crankbaits do you like graphite better than glass

Ok and for crankbaits do you like graphite better than glass
A pure glass rod has less feel (sensitivity). My rod has a combo of both i believe. This question i really can't give you a whole lot of hands on because i've never owned a true glass rod. All mine have been graphite or a combination of both.

Most people i've talked to say if you buy a true glass rod you won't like it, so i took their advice and never have took the plunge.

If you're worried about losing fish put a snap swivel on your lure. Fish will gain leverage on a crankbait because it rotates about 180 degrees and that's it. With a snap swivel it will let the bait spin 360 and won't stop, he's not getting off if he's hooked good. There are certain crankbaits that the action can be affected by a swivel but not too many. I've had a lot of luck not losing fish this way.

A pure glass rod has less feel (sensitivity). My rod has a combo of both i believe. This question i really can't give you a whole lot of hands on because i've never owned a true glass rod. All mine have been graphite or a combination of both.

Most people i've talked to say if you buy a true glass rod you won't like it, so i took their advice and never have took the plunge.

If you're worried about losing fish put a snap swivel on your lure. Fish will gain leverage on a crankbait because it rotates about 180 degrees and that's it. With a snap swivel it will let the bait spin 360 and won't stop, he's not getting off if he's hooked good. There are certain crankbaits that the action can be affected by a swivel but not too many. I've had a lot of luck not losing fish this way.

Ok, I'll just stick with a graphite rod

That's the reason I've never owned a 100% glass rod too.

I especially recommend this for Rattle Traps.

VN Store

Back