That's racist!

I cant imagine what kind of "professional environment" people are working in where they think its ok to violate someones personal space, let alone touch their flipping hair.

I cant imagine what kind of "professional environment" people are working in where they think its ok to violate someones personal space, let alone touch their flipping hair.
I had chicks do it when I was growing it out. But we all know each other pretty well here. a little weird but not much too it.

I would say that he unintentionally did something racist, which happens all the time. I don’t think I would say that he is a racist, which to me probably does require intent.

I would hope it would be definitive when using that term in such a case. I don't see the need in calling it "unintentional racism" or leaving just a slight idea it may not require intent to make him a racist. That can cheapen the term (which isn't fair to the legitimate actions and words that occur) nor to the person that got the label.

You mean like being denied loans and getting higher interest rates than whites with worse credit history, credit scores, and income?

I agree it’s terrible how we are treated.
I’ve worked in and around this area for 23 years. I can tell you that most lenders have no idea what color the person applying is. Most loans are not approved by the agent sitting with the applicant. I’ve never, in this time, see anyone be given a higher rate or denied for any reason other than credit history.

I’ve worked in and around this area for 23 years. I can tell you that most lenders have no idea what color the person applying is. Most loans are not approved by the agent sitting with the applicant. I’ve never, in this time, see anyone be given a higher rate or denied for any reason other than credit history.
We dont need your experience, facts and working knowledge here. Not helpful. Keep it to yourself next time.

I think it’s fair for someone to call the act racist, but I wouldn’t call the person a racist.

I’m confused by this question because I can read it a few different ways. If you see someone as different and that makes you refrain from doing something, then that differential treatment based on race is arguably racist (kinda depends on the circumstances).

Alternate reading: if you touch their hair, for a different reason (not because it’s exotic, but because you’re checking for lice or something), then it’s probably not racist, but you shouldn’t be touching anyone’s hair without permission.

I don't think there is enough room between the act (racism) and the person (racist). It could be that I see both terms closer together in regards to importance.

To the second, lets use the current circumstance. You didn't or wouldn't touch their hair because they are different.

Similar on my end. When my hair is long it grows in ringlets like Shirley Temple. Very common for people, including black females, to touch it and feel it. Daughter's hair is red with strawberry blond highlights and same happens to her from white and Hispanic girls. On her study abroad trip this summer, many Indians and Japanese came up and took pictures with her.
No racism. Appreciation of the features which make us unique and different.
Exactly. People are curious about traits that are different from their own. If you’re comfortable touching someone’s hair (which I’m not) then I’m not sure how that makes you racist.

Reactions: McDad
I audited loan applications and originations for FHA and ECOA and lenders have to report race and other metrics to state/fed regulators. They are very interested to see if have too low a percentage of minority loans relative to the covered area. Never did I see anyone getting a different rate based on race. DTI and credit score had the biggest impact.

Reactions: Roustabout
Update on my totally scientific experiment that involves race and hair. So the woman I did an interview with earlier came to my office and started small talk. She's never came to my office before and I have a sneaky suspicion that she was flirting with me.

I'm gonna need some advise on this one, I wasn't prepared for this and I'm really close to shutting down this study...

Reactions: McDad
Update on my totally scientific experiment that involves race and hair. So the woman I did an interview with earlier came to my office and started small talk. She's never came to my office before and I have a sneaky suspicion that she was flirting with me.

I'm gonna need some advise on this one, I wasn't prepared for this and I'm really close to shutting down this study...
See if the race/hair thing is equally offensive on all areas where hair is found. Remember this is for science. Do your part.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
You think I should tell my wife about this because science?
Of course. How demeaning it is to you for her to even HINT that you're getting any sexual thrill from this scientific study. How dare she, sir. She is epitome of selfishness. I feel sorry for her. Your interest...nay your responsibility...is to science and the greater good.

Reactions: SLICKYINC
I have never heard of this, honkies touching or asking to touch stranger's hair. Though i do have a funny story. LoL

A friend of mine, a woman of color, was out to lunch as part of a group (we are all really good friends) and was talking about her young daughter who was awed by the difference between white people's hair and that of her family's. The daughter said that while people's hair is prettier and asked how she could get some. Then she found out white people have to wash or hair every day and she said nevermind. White people can keep their hair lol

I’m not claiming that they are actually right and wrong, objectively. That’s my point. What I view as right and wrong is largely my subjective opinion. To me, Nazis were wrong; to Nazis, Nazis were right. Both of those opinions can and do still exist, but one now enjoys near-universal and passionate agreement, which is why Nazis have largely been eradicated.
So it's only racist if you say it is? Greeeeeaaaaattttt.

Man, this has become a thread of preferences.

You prefer Americanism and freedom.

FLVOL_79 prefers Caucasian-Asian-Hispanic-the rest, as the order of breed-ability.

McDad prefers puns.

K-town prefers that everyone be racist but him.

GV prefers any Kimber 1911 models over plastic, 3D prints.

Nashvol prefers circular, self-referential justification of what’s morally superior.

Septic prefers trolling.

Tums prefers rattling the trolls’ cages.

Joe prefers being an overt racist, except when it involves Maria Taylor.

CP prefers dumb arguments be referred to as poonish.

I prefer an ass whipping of FL and a cold beer.
Damnit I didn't even make the focking list!!!

VN Store

Back