That's racist!

This day in age the "media" does include things like this.

The media is so big now. We went from 3 channels and a few big newspapers to everybody's a journalist. Naturally, everything gets more coverage now, which is good and bad.

I'll ad it was a preemptive move by The Gap.

For some reason we've elevated even the possible appearance of some form of insensitivity to a major transgression. I guarantee some people will endure sensitivity training after this ad choice.

I'd say it's an ignorant move by The Gap. Which is about typical in the knee jerk reactionary world we live in.

The sad thing is there are people in this country who are just looking for a reason to throw a race flag and cause controversy. Pictures like this have been in ads for years but now it's racist cause the little black girl is just standing there with a white girls arm on her....

Then you have the black college student losing her mind over the white guy with dreads, it's a culture thing....blah blah blah.

Also the F the Flag group who's standing on an American flag outside of Trump rallies... WTF????

its embarrassing as an American that $$$$ like this makes news.

Bad PR move.

There is no way anyone can look at that photo and even remotely think it's racist. Especially given the circumstances behind the young lady in question as well as what they do. (watch the videos with Ellen to understand)

Sorry, if I was The Gap, I'd be fighting this tooth and nail with facts, not assumptions behind the alleged "racism" involved. They caved, nothing more, nothing less.

Bad PR move.

There is no way anyone can look at that photo and even remotely think it's racist. Especially given the circumstances behind the young lady in question as well as what they do. (watch the videos with Ellen to understand)

Sorry, if I was The Gap, I'd be fighting this tooth and nail with facts, not assumptions behind the alleged "racism" involved. They caved, nothing more, nothing less.

Yep, I'm not shopping at Gap again. Of course I haven't shopped there in 20 some years but I'm taking a stand now!

Reactions: 1 person
Yep, I'm not shopping at Gap again. Of course I haven't shopped there in 20 some years but I'm taking a stand now!

yeah I have been doing that with Porsche, Ferrari and Bentleys. Its got nothing to do with my financial standings but everything to do with them being bigoted in some way.

I don't follow any of this.

"He's ball-less now! He doesn't have any balls, cotton!"

Ploy to pull in the Black Lives Matter crowd in the stores.

images

yeah I have been doing that with Porsche, Ferrari and Bentleys. Its got nothing to do with my financial standings but everything to do with them being bigoted in some way.

The fact I can't rock skinny jeans and hate hipster clothes has nothing to do with my decision to boycott Gap.

Is it really like that? I would say in most cases, no. The article in OP is about Gap's apology. Did "the media" actually go after Gap?

My point is that even 15 years ago a single person being upset would update their blog or write a letter. Now a single tweet somehow speaks for a large group of people and is called an outrage or backlash. The whole Mexican Mondays thing at Clemson started with only one person complaining and it turned into some referendum on racism.

Bad PR move.

The unfortunate truth here and with most companies in same position

PC unchecked, has run amok

The sad thing is there are people in this country who are just looking for a reason to throw a race flag and cause controversy. Pictures like this have been in ads for years but now it's racist cause the little black girl is just standing there with a white girls arm on her....

Then you have the black college student losing her mind over the white guy with dreads, it's a culture thing....blah blah blah.

Also the F the Flag group who's standing on an American flag outside of Trump rallies... WTF????

its embarrassing as an American that $$$$ like this makes news.

You may not agree with them, but it is certainly an exercise of free speech. With the exception of the one chick and the cultural appropriation garbage regarding dreads (because she laid hands on him) all represent free speech issues. You can hate it, but the ability to say stupid crap is protected. The ability to quickly spread such stupidity is exponentially greater than it was even 10 years ago. It is what it is and Gap made a business decision that it wasn't worth risking possible backlash.

It is what it is and Gap made a business decision that it wasn't worth risking possible backlash.

And what possible backlash could come from this? We're talking a multi-million dollar company that has a PR machine that can (should) put the truth out there and blow this idiot out of the water.

"She was adopted and the girl next to her is her sister. Exactly how is her sister in a cute pose racist in any way?"

And wait for the response. See, here's the problems with those that want to play this race card all the time. When confronted with facts, they melt away and fall back on the same quote "well, you're just a racist." And that stance blows any argument they had out of the water. Fight the "fire" with facts. They sure as hell don't want me running the PR department. I'd have the girl that Tweeted that crap out crying and begging for forgiveness before it was said and done.

And what possible backlash could come from this? We're talking a multi-million dollar company that has a PR machine that can (should) put the truth out there and blow this idiot out of the water.

"She was adopted and the girl next to her is her sister. Exactly how is her sister in a cute pose racist in any way?"

And wait for the response. See, here's the problems with those that want to play this race card all the time. When confronted with facts, they melt away and fall back on the same quote "well, you're just a racist." And that stance blows any argument they had out of the water. Fight the "fire" with facts. They sure as hell don't want me running the PR department. I'd have the girl that Tweeted that crap out crying and begging for forgiveness before it was said and done.

Dude, you and I are on the same side of this, but if Ferguson, BLM, Freddie Gray etc has taught us anything is that people may be willing to mobilize behind less than perfect (in some cases downright frivolous) causes. Gap most certainly considered this and decided it wasn't worth the risk.

Dude, you and I are on the same side of this, but if Ferguson, BLM, Freddie Gray etc has taught us anything is that people may be willing to mobilize behind less than perfect (in some cases downright frivolous) causes. Gap most certainly considered this and decided it wasn't worth the risk.

Hence, they caved.

It has to stop sometime. And again, they wouldn't want me in the PR chair.

Reactions: 2 people

Any brand geared towards the millennials will cut and run from any possible racial or LBGT controversy. It's just smart business when your customer base is reactionary and sound bites, feeling good and perception outweighs facts and reason.

VN Store

Back