"Thats my fault", said Coach Pruitt.

I like this about him too. I especially like it when coupled with how quick he is to get in guys' faces over mistakes. He's objective enough to look at himself and his staff along with the players. Hopefully players will enjoy playing for that kind of honesty.

Reactions: GreyWolf1129
It appears as though CJP coaches with the principles/values from Patrick Lencioni's The Ideal Team Player. People need to be Humble, Hungry, and People Smart.
Not saying it's directly from this book, but he seems to ask of this and show these things.
If you are in the business of team building or are on a team it's a great book.

Reactions: GBOx2
I had noticed him say such on previous coach shows, but this morning it seemed to stick in my head and I was wondering what folks think. I can't recall that type of comment being made much at all by head coaches...(Shoutout to Urban.)
I hope it is a positive to both the team and to recruits. It shows a man who is secure with himself and actually is in the process of getting better that he is demanding of his players. After all, you can't get better if you fail to realize what needs fixing.
Anyhow, I thought we got a good one from the time he was named. Nothing changing that.

He’s simple minded. He knows he is coaching for his job. Win and he’s #Aight. Lose and he’s gone. Obviously he has a few years with the latter before any potential firing, but he seems like he has a chip on his shoulder being a first time head coach. Really respect it as he is calling himself out just like anyone else. Makes it clear to me that even the head coach doesn’t know it all.

I dig it!

Danny Ford at Clemson used to do it. Then ole coach Frank Howard told him, “you better quit blaming yourself, pretty soon they’d agree with you.”

Reactions: dono
I heard somewhere once that really good leaders are the ones who share all the praise but accept all the blame.

That is certainly good leadership. But far from all great leaders follow that approach.

In fact, I'd say that virtue is more uncommon than not among the most famous leaders of history. They tend instead to "believe their own hype".

Just a question.. Do all these teams have a show like we do with Pruitt? SEC teams that is.

You definitely have to take ownership of your own mistakes. But Pruitt spreads the blame around pretty liberally. He has criticized several players individually for poor technique or effort. And he has said after several games that the coaches made good calls, but the players just failed to execute. I'm okay with it.

Agreed. Pruitt has definitely made mistakes and will continue to as a first time HC. But owning up to them and mist importantly working on fixing them, are very important. I like that he calls out the players when they dont execute properly. Thats what should be done.

As a first time head coach, there are certain to be many learning experiences for Pruitt this year.

I think his job is this... recruit at a high level and continue to show improvement year by year.

Anyone notice when asked (post game and coaches show) about JG's excellent play that he praised nearly every other aspect before praising JG. I thought it was a good team perspective but interested to see if he does that with others.

Reactions: Weezer and dono
Most coaches say this from time to time. I think Pruitt has almost gone out of his way to take responsibility as the head coach. I think it's a good thing. Of course, saying this after a win is pretty easy.
The thing about CJP is he says it after a loss as well. He expects the team and coaching staff to have the same perfectionist mindset that he has.

Reactions: Hacksaw
Working hard to switch the narrative from Jones.

Definitely an improvement over Butch and his arrogance but most coaches will at least play lip service to taking blame for their teams shortcomings.

He seems to really care about how the team plays and that how they play has everything to do with his coaching an leadership.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
It would be nice to have some context for those of us who didn’t see the show.
If you watch his coach’s show or hear him in his pressers (both of which you must not), he routinely admits when he believes he’s made mistakes. Ive heard him at least 3 times say “that was my fault on that call, I didn’t put the kids in the best position to have success there”.

OP is praising him for doing what virtually no head coach seems to do, which is publicly admit mistakes.

Reactions: dono
If you watch his coach’s show or hear him in his pressers (both of which you must not), he routinely admits when he believes he’s made mistakes. Ive heard him at least 3 times say “that was my fault on that call, I didn’t put the kids in the best position to have success there”.

OP is praising him for doing what virtually no head coach seems to do, which is publicly admit mistakes.
Yep. I got it. And sadly I’m a long way away and am not able to see the show. I do watch pressers however but it seemed like the OP was talking about something specific in that presser so was just seeking clarification.

Reactions: Lankykong

VN Store

Back