Tennessee UConn Rivalry Renewed (UPDATED)

Maria gives a much needed perspective from the Lady Vols side. The Hartford Courant's take was completely one sided and unprofessional to the point of being Pro-UConn propaganda.

The irony, of course, is that her perspective is no less "one sided" and "unprofessional" than Jacobs', it just happens to be what the Holly mafia wants to hear. It's amazing how similar they are to UConn fans in blindly lapping up all the "propaganda" she sends out on behalf of Holly...

The irony, of course, is that her perspective is no less "one sided" and "unprofessional" than Jacobs', it just happens to be what the Holly mafia wants to hear. It's amazing how similar they are to UConn fans in blindly lapping up all the "propaganda" she sends out on behalf of Holly...
Which passages in Maria's article constituted propaganda that served Holly's interest? I must have missed them on first read.

Good point. It reminds me of a sales manager I knew once upon a time, long away and far ago...

He had a nice habit of mediating squabbles among his crew by quoting an apocryphal "Great Uncle Jeb" who taught him that "There's two sides to an argument...and then...there's the truth."

Reactions: Darth_Vol
Despite the long-regurgitated narrative, Summitt didn’t end the series over an impermissible trip to ESPN for a recruit or the string of silly insults that flowed from Auriemma over the years. Her reasons, which she never publicly stated, were much more significant and involved recruiting shenanigans she could no longer stomach. When asked why she ended the series, Summitt replied to media, “Ask Geno. He knows.” And he did. Summitt explained why in a phone call filled with shouted expletives from Auriemma asking how she could do this to him. How do I know? Summitt told me in 2007.

This is all we need to know. These two games should NOT be taking place.

Someone has put much time in, in setting it up and keeping it relevant and up-to-date technologically.

I went and read the bone to see their opinion of the two teams playing again....

Some of their posters were good dudes and thought it would be good for women's college basketball.....Of course, there is also the standard group of bone posters that just want to complain....Nothing new there.

Since the two school's have agreed to play next season, that's just the way it is, no matter how much crying the bone does.

Reactions: volnationnj
I went and read the bone to see their opinion of the two teams playing again....

Some of their posters were good dudes and thought it would be good for women's college basketball.....Of course, there is also the standard group of bone posters that just want to complain....Nothing new there.

Since the two school's have agreed to play next season, that's just the way it is, no matter how much crying the bone does.

True.
Kind of like this forum !

There was not anything unprofessional about her article. And it had nothing to do with Holly Warlick.

There was not anything unprofessional about her article. And it had nothing to do with Holly Warlick.

I would argue making an allegation about an "expletive" filled phone call from Geno over ten years ago based on a conversation with someone who is no longer here to confirm or deny the details isn't professional, even if the allegation is true (and it's coming from Maria so it MUST be). Certainly more "unprofessional" (again your word, not mine) than anything in Jacobs' article....

Reactions: olddog and montbb47
[QUOTE="Darth_Vol, post: 15652724, member: 51282"]I would argue making an allegation about an "expletive" filled phone call from Geno over ten years ago based on a conversation with someone who is no longer here to confirm or deny the details isn't professional, even if the allegation is true (and it's coming from Maria so it MUST be). Certainly more "unprofessional" (again your word, not mine) than anything in Jacobs' article....[/QUOTE]

Pat Summitt did include a description of that phone call in her book written with Sally Jenkins in 2013 titled "Sum it Up: A Thousand and Nintety-Eight Victories, a Couple of Irrelevant Losses, and a Life in Perspective".

[QUOTE="Darth_Vol, post: 15652724, member: 51282"]I would argue making an allegation about an "expletive" filled phone call from Geno over ten years ago based on a conversation with someone who is no longer here to confirm or deny the details isn't professional, even if the allegation is true (and it's coming from Maria so it MUST be). Certainly more "unprofessional" (again your word, not mine) than anything in Jacobs' article....

Pat Summitt did include a description of that phone call in her book written with Sally Jenkins in 2013 titled "Sum it Up: A Thousand and Nintety-Eight Victories, a Couple of Irrelevant Losses, and a Life in Perspective".[/QUOTE]

I'm aware, but Maria didn't reference the book. In her typical self grandiosity she referenced a discussion Pat had with HER, of course added with her own personal embellishment. In particular I love Geno's alleged "how could she (Pat) do this to him" implying the cancellation was some great punishment to the UConn program.

FWIW, Pat's account from her book: "The conversation only lasted a minute or so more. It mainly consisted of him saying he hoped to see us the NCAA tournament, so 'I can kick your a**.' But we never played again."

Now that version I can believe...

Reactions: montbb47
I scratch my head and ponder BUT try as I might I cannot come up with anything illicit or sculduggerous in the UConn program other than the secondary violation of UConn calling ESPN to set up a tour that anyone could have had for the price of a phone call. Everything else is simply black smoke from people who need to hate.

Ridiculous! Some of you are acting like the Lady Vols have never had their butts kicked by UConn before. Those of us who remember both the 2000 National Championship Game and the 2002 National Semifinal Game beg to differ. They were both over at halftime. The '02 Semifinal was 65-33 at one point. It didn't "crush further the Lady Vol's legacy" back then and it won't next year either. This is a loser's mentality. They will play the game and likely give a better account of themselves than some of the so-called "fans" on here want to believe.

Not a losers mentality but rather a realistic one. I guess you are one of those who think the football team could win 5 out of 10 against Alabama as well. There are some games you just avoid until you are ready, and the Lady Vols are not ready!

So you only support your team when its winning and if its not winning you are ready to burn it down. There are uncomplimentary names for people with that attitude. You should take your attitude and go buy a Notre Dame t-shirt with it. If you take that advice you can have the broadest t-shirt collection in the county. I was going to say state, but I feel you may not get out too much.

Again with people trying to gain likes with insults, pathetic. No one said burn anything down but lets be realistic in our expectations and the talent of CHW. She cannot compete with Geno and never will be able to. Yes upsets happen but not very often in the Women's game and not often to UCONN. take off the orange glasses and you will be able to see that we are not to that level yet and probably wont be until Phil replaces CHW

Reactions: mcannon1 and olddog
Not a losers mentality but rather a realistic one. I guess you are one of those who think the football team could win 5 out of 10 against Alabama as well. There are some games you just avoid until you are ready, and the Lady Vols are not ready!
You don't have to win every game in the regular season of women's college basketball. So what if they lose? It's just a regular season out of conference game with very little on the line. Even in the Pat Summitt heyday the Lady Vols lost regular season games to UConn ('95-'97). Big deal. The Lady Vols are not a 2nd rate program. They recruit the best players and should play the best opponents.

Also, these games are two and three seasons down the road. Who are you to say what they will be ready for then? Your posts are weak and defeatist.

Last edited:
Despite the long-regurgitated narrative, Summitt didn’t end the series over an impermissible trip to ESPN for a recruit or the string of silly insults that flowed from Auriemma over the years. Her reasons, which she never publicly stated, were much more significant and involved recruiting shenanigans she could no longer stomach. When asked why she ended the series, Summitt replied to media, “Ask Geno. He knows.” And he did. Summitt explained why in a phone call filled with shouted expletives from Auriemma asking how she could do this to him. How do I know? Summitt told me in 2007.

This is all we need to know. These two games should NOT be taking place.
Summitt confirmed that story many times... regardless of what Darth Vol wants to say, it's not just Maria's narrative.

Again with people trying to gain likes with insults, pathetic. No one said burn anything down but lets be realistic in our expectations and the talent of CHW. She cannot compete with Geno and never will be able to. Yes upsets happen but not very often in the Women's game and not often to UCONN. take off the orange glasses and you will be able to see that we are not to that level yet and probably wont be until Phil replaces CHW
That poster is a UConn fan and explained the handle in an earlier post.

VN Store

Back