Tennessee Tech

Kelley_VFL

If you didn’t know, Tennessee Tech has a VERY good baseball team. They lead the NCAA in almost every offensive category (avg, runs, hr, 2b, rbi, slg %, etc) and have the nations longest win streak at 25 games. Fun team to watch. If you have a chance to get to the game on Tuesday, it should be a great game with lots of fireworks.

Reactions: 3 people
The best team in the state imo.

Huge game for Tech in that it's an at large type game for them. I don't think the ovc has ever gotten 2 bids but this could be the year

Reactions: 2 people
Does anyone know if they are expected to throw their midweek guy? I know sometimes a smaller school looking for a win against a power 5 school can throw a weekend arm during the week

Does anyone know if they are expected to throw their midweek guy? I know sometimes a smaller school looking for a win against a power 5 school can throw a weekend arm during the week

Not sure it matters. They are all about the sticks and I don’t think there’s a big difference between weekend and mid-week with them.

Reactions: 1 person
Not sure it matters. They are all about the sticks and I don’t think there’s a big difference between weekend and mid-week with them.

Very true. 4.80 team ERA against mostly mid level teams. Winning games with score like 15-10, etc.

We should score some runs, just gotta keep their bats in check.

Very true. 4.80 team ERA against mostly mid level teams. Winning games with score like 15-10, etc.

We should score some runs, just gotta keep their bats in check.

Thier ballpark is a hitters park like no other. 4.8 era there is exceptional.

The best team in the state imo.

Huge game for Tech in that it's an at large type game for them. I don't think the ovc has ever gotten 2 bids but this could be the year

This one and next week against Vandy are going to be HUGE for Tech. Now this is just my opinion but if they win both and put together a decent finish they may very well be in a host spot for regionals.

This one and next week against Vandy are going to be HUGE for Tech. Now this is just my opinion but if they win both and put together a decent finish they may very well be in a host spot for regionals.

High praise but their facility isn't capable of that

Imo they won't get a sniff at that even if they moved it to Nashville or knoxville

Thier ballpark is a hitters park like no other. 4.8 era there is exceptional.

Very true and Tech has had a habit of jumping out to huge early leads to the tune of 10+ runs in the first 4 inning leads. With that kind of run support I could imagine the pitching staff has been a lot more lax. When the games have been close they have tightened up. That 4.8 should be lower and is likely more of a product of large cushions.

The midweek guys have done well against better competition 1 run in 2 games vs. West Virginia (32 RPI), 2 runs vs Kennesaw St. and 2 runs vs. MTSU.

I would look for them to throw Nic Dye or Devin Lancaster. Dye has by far been the more impressive of the two. I would go Dye and save our Firday guy (Moths) for the weekend.

Reactions: 1 person
Very true and Tech has had a habit of jumping out to huge early leads to the tune of 10+ runs in the first 4 inning leads. With that kind of run support I could imagine the pitching staff has been a lot more lax. When the games have been close they have tightened up. That 4.8 should be lower and is likely more of a product of large cushions.

The midweek guys have done well against better competition 1 run in 2 games vs. West Virginia (32 RPI), 2 runs vs Kennesaw St. and 2 runs vs. MTSU.

I would look for them to throw Nic Dye or Devin Lancaster. Dye has by far been the more impressive of the two. I would go Dye and save our Firday guy (Moths) for the weekend.

How high is MOths going to go in the draft?

High praise but their facility isn't capable of that

Imo they won't get a sniff at that even if they moved it to Nashville or knoxville

Yeah I agree with this. They are not set up well at all to accommodate hosting a regional. It would be a shame thought if facilities held them back from that opportunity if they were deserving. If they stay on the same track as they have been I believe there will be little to no argument that they aren't deserving.

Yeah I agree with this. They are not set up well at all to accommodate hosting a regional. It would be a shame thought if facilities held them back from that opportunity if they were deserving. If they stay on the same track as they have been I believe there will be little to no argument that they aren't deserving.

I love their team but imo they won't be deserving even if they win out. SOS just isn't good enough and the one higher major series they played they lost

How high is MOths going to go in the draft?

I don't know. I saw him pitch for the first time Friday night against Southern Illinois and he looked very impressive. He went 8 innings of shutout ball with only 3 hits that were weak little singles. He hasn't been as dominant as you would like to see against the competition they play but like I said in an earlier comment he usually has gotten such rediculous run support in the early innings that he hasn't needed to be on top of his game. I could see him being a top 10 round kind of guy. Tech pitchers have also panned out very well here recently. I believe 5 of their last 7 pitchers drafted have at least made it to the show. I don't know if MLB teams look at stuff like that or not but if so I'd say it will definitely work in his favor.

I don't know. I saw him pitch for the first time Friday night against Southern Illinois and he looked very impressive. He went 8 innings of shutout ball with only 3 hits that were weak little singles. He hasn't been as dominant as you would like to see against the competition they play but like I said in an earlier comment he usually has gotten such rediculous run support in the early innings that he hasn't needed to be on top of his game. I could see him being a top 10 round kind of guy. Tech pitchers have also panned out very well here recently. I believe 5 of their last 7 pitchers drafted have at least made it to the show. I don't know if MLB teams look at stuff like that or not but if so I'd say it will definitely work in his favor.

Thanks. I heard he was good

I love their team but imo they won't be deserving even if they win out. SOS just isn't good enough and the one higher major series they played they lost

The Troy series was close but also that was very early on in the season. I would put much more stock into wins against SEC competition later on in the season vs. an early season series lost to a Mid Major opponent.

Also that'd be pretty weak argument if they held one early series loss against you especially if that series was competitive and your only lost series during the season. It's baseball to put an expectation on a team that they win every single series during the season would be nuts.

But then again who would've guessed that they would be in this kind of position! It's been a special season for sure.

The Troy series was close but also that was very early on in the season. I would put much more stock into wins against SEC competition later on in the season vs. an early season series lost to a Mid Major opponent.

Also that'd be pretty weak argument if they held one early series loss against you especially if that series was competitive and your only lost series during the season. It's baseball to put an expectation on a team that they win every single series during the season would be nuts.

But then again who would've guessed that they would be in this kind of position! It's been a special season for sure.

Troy is having a good year so that series isn't a killer but it really is all the committee has to go by in turns of series.
Imo the best Tech can hope for is a 2 seed and I think they will be a 3

The facility could not qualify to host a regional and unfortunately for them, there's not a minor league facility close enough to them they could move to.

Nashville would be the closest and I'm not sure the NCAA would go for that at all.

There's been a lot of teams that could not host at home. Dallas Baptist, East Carolina in the early 2000s, Coastal Carolina in same period. There facility is tons better than it used to be- at least it has a warning track unlike the 90s; but the NCAA does have standards to be met.

The facility could not qualify to host a regional and unfortunately for them, there's not a minor league facility close enough to them they could move to.

Nashville would be the closest and I'm not sure the NCAA would go for that at all.

There's been a lot of teams that could not host at home. Dallas Baptist, East Carolina in the early 2000s, Coastal Carolina in same period. There facility is tons better than it used to be- at least it has a warning track unlike the 90s; but the NCAA does have standards to be met.

A few years back a school in cali hosted and was 2.5 hours away iirc

Anyone recall who that was?

Unfortunately for Tech, if they don't win the conference tourney, their SOS will probably keep them out of the NCAA tourney. Sad but true.

VN Store

Back