Tennessee Senate Race

Shelby County election officials say Thousands of voter Registrations Invalid due to missing information

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — One day before early voting begins Wednesday, Shelby County election officials are dealing with thousands of invalid voter registrations because of problems in the applications.

Election officials say between 3,000 and 5,000 voter registration applications are missing key information, like names, Social Security numbers or addresses. Some list "201 Poplar" as an address. Felons are also trying to register, and some people have tried to register multiple times.

It's unusual to have so many problems, they say. The majority of the problem applications are coming from one organization, the Tennessee Black Voter Project.

The commission said about 55 percent of the 10,000 applications the group submitted were found invalid because they were incomplete, they were duplicates from previously registered voters, they had address changes, they were from people that are too young, they were illegible or they came from convicted felons.

The Tennessee Black Voter Project filed a lawsuit Monday in Shelby County Chancery Court asking a judge to allow the group to inspect voter registration forms that the county's Election Commission has rejected.

This year, the Shelby County Election Commission is processing 24,000 new voter registration applications, more than in 2016. About 10,000 of those came in on Oct. 9, the last day to register.

To keep up with the backlog, election officials say they are working night and day. They've added a second shift and sometimes start as early as 6:30 a.m.

Shelby County election officials say thousands of voter registrations invalid due to missing information

Last edited:
Shelby County election officials say Thousands of voter Registrations Invalid due to missing information

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — One day before early voting begins Wednesday, Shelby County election officials are dealing with thousands of invalid voter registrations because of problems in the applications.

Election officials say between 3,000 and 5,000 voter registration applications are missing key information, like names, Social Security numbers or addresses. Some list "201 Poplar" as an address. Felons are also trying to register, and some people have tried to register multiple times.

It's unusual to have so many problems, they say. The majority of the problem applications are coming from one organization, the Tennessee Black Voter Project.

The commission said about 55 percent of the 10,000 applications the group submitted were found invalid because they were incomplete, they were duplicates from previously registered voters, they had address changes, they were from people that are too young, they were illegible or they came from convicted felons.

The Tennessee Black Voter Project filed a lawsuit Monday in Shelby County Chancery Court asking a judge to allow the group to inspect voter registration forms that the county's Election Commission has rejected.

This year, the Shelby County Election Commission is processing 24,000 new voter registration applications, more than in 2016. About 10,000 of those came in on Oct. 9, the last day to register.

To keep up with the backlog, election officials say they are working night and day. They've added a second shift and sometimes start as early as 6:30 a.m.

Shelby County election officials say thousands of voter registrations invalid due to missing information
I can't imagine who those folks are going to vote for in the Senate race

Oh, I think they're highly questionable. I have a background in statistics. Actually taught undergraduate research methods and was a graduate assistant for graduate level statistics. There are numerous biases and errors that can be introduced from testers, as well as respondents. There are, of course, ways to minimize them, but you usually need to consider the source, when evaluating results. It's no surprise that left and right leaning polls tend to favor their respective sides. Polls are estimates, but they're also often used to try and drive voting in a certain direction. Internal pollingby campaigns tends to be more reliable, but those results aren't made public. It's like Twain said: "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics."

I've always wondered about polls or even just surveys regarding anything, for lack of a better word, divisive in nature. For instance I've seen things like phone polls/surveys. Right off the bat you're obviously dealing with "people that will answer questions on the phone from strangers". My mom won't even do that. Hell, she won't answer the phone if she doesn't know the number and if you don't leave a message you might as well not have called. I know a LOT of people with that MO. If I'm asked something political by a stranger assuming I'm in a good mood they might get answers like Donald Duck, unicorns or marmosets. If not in a good mood I may go full curmudgeon them.

Because they ate all my bacon wrapped jalapeno shrimp with pepper jelly glaze first.
See now I know you didn’t attend. Everyone knows that every food dish brought to our White people’s meeting has to contain mayonnaise or cool whip. You sir are a fraud.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl Pickens
Republican has Narrow Lead in Tennessee U.S. Senate race: Poll

(Reuters) - U.S. Representative Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee, who has tied herself tightly to President Donald Trump as she aims to succeed one of his most vocal Republican critics in the U.S. Senate, has a modest lead in her election bid, a Reuters opinion poll found.

A Reuters/Ipsos/UVA Center for Politics Poll released on Wednesday showed 47 percent of likely voters supporting Blackburn and 44 percent backing her Democratic rival, former Governor Phil Bredesen, who has staked a centrist course and tried to appeal to Republicans and independents in a deeply conservative state.

The 3 percentage-point spread is just outside the poll’s 2.5 percentage point credibility interval, a measure of precision. Other recent polls have shown Blackburn with a substantially wider lead.

Republican has narrow lead in Tennessee U.S. Senate race: poll | Reuters

That sounds disgusting.

It really isn't. (though everyone has different tastes of course) I had it served as an appetizer at a fishing lodge on Christmas Bay in TX and loved it.

See now I know you didn’t attend. Everyone knows that every food dish brought to our White people’s meeting has to contain mayonnaise or cool whip. You sir are a fraud.

The mayo is in the artichoke dip/chips that's supposed to go with the shrimp. (and your comment made me think of Undercover Brother)

Tenn. Lawmaker Accuses Bredesen Campaign Treasurer of Hatch Act Violation

Bredesen's campaign treasurer is on TVA board of directors, appeared in campaign ad

A Tennessee lawmaker has called for an investigation into whether Senate candidate Phil Bredesen's campaign treasurer, who is also an appointed board member of the Tennessee Valley Authority, violated the Hatch Act, which bars executive branch employees from soliciting political contributions.

The complaint from Rick Tillis, a Republican member of Tennessee's House of Representatives, concerns Virginia Lodge, who was appointed to TVA's board of directors by Barack Obama in 2012 and is listed as the treasurer for Bredesen's Senate campaign. Lodge was featured in a recent ad that was used by the campaign in a fundraising plea, which Tillis believes crosses the line set by the Hatch Act.

Tillis argues in his letter to the U.S. Office of Special Counsel—a copy of which was shared with the Washington Free Beacon—that Lodge's name appearing on campaign materials soliciting contributions is a blatant violation of the statute.

He points to an advisory opinion issued by the Office of Special Counsel in 2015 on the specific issue of whether it would be a violation for a federal employee like Lodge to serve as treasurer for a political campaign. The answer was that it would be permitted for the employee to be treasurer, but the employee "may not allow [her] name to appear anywhere on materials soliciting political contributions for the candidate."

"Pursuant to your office’s August 6, 2015, advisory opinion, being a treasurer for a political campaign, in and of itself, does not constitute a violation of the Hatch Act," Tillis wrote in his letter, sent Monday. "However, this opinion does make it clear that a federal employee ‘may not allow [her] name to appear anywhere on materials soliciting political contributions for the candidate.'"

"Considering this advisory opinion, I ask that you review and investigate Ms. Lodge’s appearance on Mr. Bredesen candidate website in which a contribution is sought," Tillis wrote. "Her name appears on this page: www.bredesen.com/press-releases/liar and the same webpage asks for a political contribution in multiple places."

Bredesen's campaign did not respond to a request for comment on the accusation of a Hatch Act violation.

Lodge was used by the Bredesen campaign to give a testimony as a former employee of Bredesen on his handling of sexual harassment allegations, an issue that has been referenced frequently by his Republican opponent, Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R., Tenn.).

Bredesen came under fire as Tennessee's governor for shredded documentation of harassment claims against his top officials. He also argued workplace harassment was inevitable with women in the workplace.

Tenn. Lawmaker Accuses Bredesen Campaign Treasurer of Hatch Act Violation

Pickled-Eggs.JPG

Reactions: AirVol

VN Store

Back