Tennessee ranked #6 in Pre-Season AP Poll (and Coaches Poll)

Does anybody think that Pons played timid last year? Was he adjusting? Looking for a breakout year.

All these players on this team can step up? Our depth and their ability to step it up should be an asset.

Can't say what an excellent hire in Rick Barnes that we got....What a difference he is from the previous coaches we have seen....Calm, Cool and Collective.

Everyone seems so confident, as I, that Tennessee will handle the pressure well....that I'm now a bit cautious lol

6. Tennessee: Because the Vols are still not built to handle teams driven by quick wings who can score off the dribble and create problems in space. The shifty Loyola-Chicago squad that ejected the Vols in the first round of the NCAA tournament had the DNA of the teams that had given Tennessee problems throughout the season.

Why your team won't make it to the Final Four

Who do you guys expect to be the biggest surprise this year? I think we know what we'll get from guys like Williams and Schofield, etc. But who is the guy that can unexpectedly be a meaningful contributor?
I fully expect Bone to take that next step and be a true difference maker on the floor.

But if we are excluding him, I'd go with Pons.

6. Tennessee: Because the Vols are still not built to handle teams driven by quick wings who can score off the dribble and create problems in space. The shifty Loyola-Chicago squad that ejected the Vols in the first round of the NCAA tournament had the DNA of the teams that had given Tennessee problems throughout the season.

Hmmm. Interesting read. I still don’t see how dude for Loyola Chicago made that game winning falling away around the rim floater bucket. Our defense did step it up late in that game though and gave us a chance. Whatever adjustment Barnes made in those final four minutes on defense worked.

Lol “first round”

I was curious to see which sportswriter picked us #1. It turns out to be John Feinstein, one of the best, if not the best, sportswriter who voted. He is the author of several highly regarded sports-related books.
I read Feinstein's " A Season on the Brink" about Bobby Knight and Indiana, in high school. I got the book a little over a year after it came out, so it had a chapter about the team that won the NCAA Championship the year after the book. Steve Alford and Keith Smart (he hit the game winning shot against Syracuse and my boy, Derrick Coleman) were the catalysts for that team. Great book

Jordan Bowden is my breakout player but I do think Alexander gets drafted so I guess that means I believe on him too.

I bet Johnson ends up better than Pons.

So, there won't be a Final 4 this season?

Reactions: Chris4Vols22
Agree. At some point, you have to adjust to that role. Otherwise, it means you probably suck every year. This is the point we all hoped we would see our program reach. Next step is sustaining it over a period of time.
Very exciting to see us in this group. Time for another #1 ranking. Hopefully we can keep it longer than a week this time.

Who do you guys expect to be the biggest surprise this year? I think we know what we'll get from guys like Williams and Schofield, etc. But who is the guy that can unexpectedly be a meaningful contributor?
Jalen Johnson has all the tools. I’ll be interested to see if he can put it together.

This is horrible! i wish they would stop with these articles. If the players read these articles. Over a period of time, they will believe they are that good and get a big head, thus affecting their play on the court.
Dumb

First round?

NBC Sports has an interesting article ranking teams by how many appearances they have had on preseason top 25 lists this century. Tennessee has eight appearances from 2000-2018, ranked 21st. Duke leads with 20 appearances.

VN Store

Back