Tennessee ranked #6 in Pre-Season AP Poll (and Coaches Poll)

Have to admit there's quite a bit of difference in swagger rights and respect between a top 25 and a DickieV top 4. Do you think Kentucky at 14 gets the same respect as Alabama in football?
I’m not sure what you’re asking, are you comparing Tennessee basketball being ranked 6th to team of the decade in Alabama football?

This is the highest preseason ranking the men's team has ever received. Tennessee fans are obviously not accustomed to this kind of hype, so I can understand the "let's hope it doesn't go to their heads" jitters a bit. The saying "act like you've been there before" comes to mind, and it's because we really haven't been there (at least, not in the preseason).

Nevertheless, these players aren't beholden to Tennessee's past, and Rick Barnes is an amazing coach. He's not going to let it be a distraction. If we want to take the next step as a program, this kind of hype needs to be backed up during the season.

Why do people feel like this? Not singling you out Freak it’s been a common opinion, I just don’t necessarily understand it? We were ranked Top 20 after about the 4th or 5th week of the season last year and stayed there all year, I don’t think we were necessarily the hunter last year, everyone we played knew what they were getting.

I think last year it wasn't as much about being the hunted versus the hunter after the 4th or 5th week especially after Purdue and the first few SEC games blowing leads Villanova UNC, Arkansas and Auburn.

It was more about earning respect and getting on the board to set up this year. Every time we hit a plateau something prevented us from getting over the hump. The NCAA Tournament may have been different if not for the injury to K Alexandar.

I think maybe the first month people might have overlooked us but after beating Purdue and then giving UNC all they wanted I don’t think teams were looking past us or thinking we were the 13th best team in the league.

They might’ve used it, and if they did I can guarantee they’ll use the fact UK is ahead of them in the same way.

JMO
I hear ya. The hype and expectations are going to be on a whole different level this year, I think. Maybe that's just my perspective. I think a being a top 5-ish team is a lot different than climbing into the top 20 four or five weeks into the season. It's going to be fun to watch, that's for sure. As a fan, I love that we're being talked about in championship conversations.

I understand what you’re saying. It had more to do with our team’s mindset more than the mindset of other teams we faced and their perception of us. As the hunter, we were out to prove everyone wrong who doubted us and picked us 13th in the SEC. As the hunted, what will be our motivation for the 2018-19 season? My guess is that motivation will be in proving that last season wasn’t a fluke and that we belong, as well as advancing further in the tournament and making additional history. With our preseason ranking, we have already made some history as the highest preseason rank in school history.

Yeah, it definitely has a lot to do with our team's mindset in addition to how other teams perceive us.

Think of it this way, how many times have we seen a team get everyone back from a very solid team the year before, have high expectations, and fall on their face? It happens. I think it's different playing from on top. I'm not implying that our team can't handle it, just that it's different.

Who do you guys expect to be the biggest surprise this year? I think we know what we'll get from guys like Williams and Schofield, etc. But who is the guy that can unexpectedly be a meaningful contributor?

Who do you guys expect to be the biggest surprise this year? I think we know what we'll get from guys like Williams and Schofield, etc. But who is the guy that can unexpectedly be a meaningful contributor?
I'd say Pons and Walker.

Reactions: walkenvol

I think this team will have more Chemistry and depth than ever before. IMO it will be a group effort. Williams and Schofield will get there share but there is more balance in the rest of the squad that every player will have their nights. Coach Barnes has an arsenal on his bench and they all appear to be about what is best for the team.

but, no pressure...bet they haven't forgotten how they finished last year...don't believe they liked that taste...

GO VOLS!

Reactions: StrangeVol
This is horrible! i wish they would stop with these articles. If the players read these articles. Over a period of time, they will believe they are that good and get a big head, thus affecting their play on the court.
This is BVS. Imo

This opinion is assuming that basically the same group of 3 stars that got ripped by CRB thru the media last year, and didn’t just not give up, but finished tied for first in the SEC are suddenly not the underdog anymore. They were recruited as underdogs and they’ll fight like dogs till they graduate.

I hear ya. The hype and expectations are going to be on a whole different level this year, I think. Maybe that's just my perspective. I think a being a top 5-ish team is a lot different than climbing into the top 20 four or five weeks into the season. It's going to be fun to watch, that's for sure. As a fan, I love that we're being talked about in championship conversations.

Yeah, it definitely has a lot to do with our team's mindset in addition to how other teams perceive us.

Think of it this way, how many times have we seen a team get everyone back from a very solid team the year before, have high expectations, and fall on their face? It happens. I think it's different playing from on top. I'm not implying that our team can't handle it, just that it's different.

Yea I agree with what Chris said, definitely agree with the mindset being different just don’t agree about the whole hunter vs. hunted in the eyes of our opponents, don’t think anyone was looking past the Vols.

If we are ruling out...Bone, Bowen, Turner, Schofield, Williams and Alexander that leaves....

Pons
Walker
Fulk
Johnson
Kent
Burns

I think Burns redshirts and Kent plays sparingly so that leaves the first 4...my money is on Pons and Walker. Someone has to emerge on the wing and I think Pons has the edge, similar for the post and Walker appears much leaner which should only benefit him.

Yea I agree with what Chris said, definitely agree with the mindset being different just don’t agree about the whole hunter vs. hunted in the eyes of our opponents, don’t think anyone was looking past the Vols.
I think it's mindset and opponent. Not that people were necessarily looking past us, but top 5-ish, championship talk. There's a bigger target on our back than last season.

But we can disagree. I'm pumped for the season to get started so we can see how it all plays out. Hopefully it's a fun ride.

I think Johnson and Pons are going to play very well this year (I think Barnes would have went after another point guard this summer if he didn’t believe Pons and Johnson could hold down the wing position, which allows Lamonte to play backup point guard. I also expect Bowden to be a more complete player this year. Barnes really went after Bowden, Fulkerson, and Walker right after the season in the media.

I was curious to see which sportswriter picked us #1. It turns out to be John Feinstein, one of the best, if not the best, sportswriter who voted. He is the author of several highly regarded sports-related books.

Reactions: Freak
I was curious to see which sportswriter picked us #1. It turns out to be John Feinstein, one of the best, if not the best, sportswriter who voted. He is the author of several highly regarded sports-related books.
Really? It was Feinstein?

It was Feinstein. If you go to the AP college basketball home page, you have the option to see how each writer voted. At least two voted us third, and the lowest we were voted was 12th.

Reactions: Freak

VN Store

Back