Tennessee ranked #6 in Pre-Season AP Poll (and Coaches Poll)

This is horrible! i wish they would stop with these articles. If the players read these articles. Over a period of time, they will believe they are that good and get a big head, thus affecting their play on the court.

Reactions: amorange
they are good, and i hope they play like it. barnes is a hall of fame coach, and he will surely have them in the right frame of mind. it's definitely not horrible, Rudy

Tennesses opens up at 6th on the top 25. Highest preseason ranking in school history.

Attachments

• C7E6B931-7C77-4061-8431-28EE662BF201.jpeg
    C7E6B931-7C77-4061-8431-28EE662BF201.jpeg
    582.8 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: BigDave
1. Kansas

2. Kentucky

3. Gonzaga

4. Duke

5. Virginia

6. Tennessee

7. Nevada

8. North Carolina

9. Villanova

10. Michigan State

11. Auburn

12. Kansas State

13. West Virginia

14. Oregon

15. Virginia Tech

16. Syracuse

17. Florida State

18. Mississippi State

19. Michigan

20. TCU

21. UCLA

22. Clemson

23. LSU

24. Purdue

25. Washington

Should be interesting playing as the hunted, instead of the hunter.

Agree, but this team was not going to sneak up on anybody....

We need to adjust to the new "Status" if any coach can handle the players' adjustment it is Coach Barnes because he has been there before and this team knows their capabilities.

Great rebuild job.....

Last edited:
Looking at our schedule, we'll have plenty of opportunities to prove our worth. I see possibly four games against the top five and four more games against teams in the Top 25.

This is horrible! i wish they would stop with these articles. If the players read these articles. Over a period of time, they will believe they are that good and get a big head, thus affecting their play on the court.

Did you see us play last year ? We ARE good - it's us fans that are not used to it. I love the chemistry of this team and they need to believe they are good. It is going to be a great year !

Reactions: beamerman
Agree, but this team was not going to seek up on anybody....

We need to adjust to the new "Status" if any coach can handle the players' adjustment it is Coach Barnes because he has been there before and this team knows their capabilities.

Great rebuild job.....
Agree. At some point, you have to adjust to that role. Otherwise, it means you probably suck every year. This is the point we all hoped we would see our program reach. Next step is sustaining it over a period of time.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
I don't think we snuck up on anybody after last year's Purdue game. The guys were hunted all during the SEC schedule, it's nothing new to them. They will handle it just fine.

FWIW: Kenpom has us ranked 11th, which is fine with me in the preseason.

Should be interesting playing as the hunted, instead of the hunter.

Why do people feel like this? Not singling you out Freak it’s been a common opinion, I just don’t necessarily understand it? We were ranked Top 20 after about the 4th or 5th week of the season last year and stayed there all year, I don’t think we were necessarily the hunter last year, everyone we played knew what they were getting.

Reactions: goodtobegoad
I doubt Barnes and his players give two craps about their Preseason rankings.

It’s just bragging rights for the fanbase.

Guarantee Barnes will have his guys ready.

Why do people feel like this? Not singling you out Freak it’s been a common opinion, I just don’t necessarily understand it? We were ranked Top 20 after about the 4th or 5th week of the season last year and stayed there all year, I don’t think we were necessarily the hunter last year, everyone we played knew what they were getting.
Because we were picked 13th in the league. You’re right though, down the stretch teams knew what they were getting from us last year.

This year, we’re basically a preseason top five team. That puts a little different target on our heads IMO.

I bet Barnes used that preseason ranking a lot for motivation last year. I would have.

I don’t think any of it is a bad thing, I just think it’s a little different approach mentally.

I doubt Barnes and his players give two craps about their Preseason rankings.

It’s just bragging rights for the fanbase.

Guarantee Barnes will have his guys ready.
If I were a coach, I’d probably want as little preseason hype as possible. Managing high expectations can be rough. Unless of course, you’re just that good where it doesn’t matter. And I hope we are. 😬

Have to admit there's quite a bit of difference in swagger rights and respect between a top 25 and a DickieV top 4. Do you think Kentucky at 14 gets the same respect as Alabama in football?

If I were a coach, I’d probably want as little preseason hype as possible. Managing high expectations can be rough. Unless of course, you’re just that good where it doesn’t matter. And I hope we are. 😬

Luckily Barnes doesn’t strike me as a guy who thrives off of attention.

He’s more worried about his team improving.

Should be a fun season.

Because we were picked 13th in the league. You’re right though, down the stretch teams knew what they were getting from us last year.

This year, we’re basically a preseason top five team. That puts a little different target on our heads IMO.

I bet Barnes used that preseason ranking a lot for motivation last year. I would have.

I don’t think any of it is a bad thing, I just think it’s a little different approach mentally.
I understand what you’re saying. It had more to do with our team’s mindset more than the mindset of other teams we faced and their perception of us. As the hunter, we were out to prove everyone wrong who doubted us and picked us 13th in the SEC. As the hunted, what will be our motivation for the 2018-19 season? My guess is that motivation will be in proving that last season wasn’t a fluke and that we belong, as well as advancing further in the tournament and making additional history. With our preseason ranking, we have already made some history as the highest preseason rank in school history.

I think maybe the first month people might have overlooked us but after beating Purdue and then giving UNC all they wanted I don’t think teams were looking past us or thinking we were the 13th best team in the league.

They might’ve used it, and if they did I can guarantee they’ll use the fact UK is ahead of them in the same way.

JMO

VN Store

Back