Tennessee Lady Vol News

I think a good first season would be a 4th place conference finish which will probably go SC, Texas, LSU. So, 4th means getting ahead of Ole Miss and Oklahoma and staying ahead of Bama and all the other strivers. 4th gets a NCAA bid and probably a decent path to the S16.
Would absolutely be a great first season if the roster stays as it currently is.

Yes, I think the bar for next year's team has always been to be a good team, not a great team. In other words, to be in the top half of a good conference, make the NCAAs, and win a first round game with the possibility of getting into the Sweet 16. This is because our entire situation of firing a coach, losing a lottery pick, having the least talent of a returning team that I can remember for a LV team, and having an unknown coach with a totally different system would make it almost remarkable to get into the Sweet 16 the first year. Despite the wisdom of this line of thinking, I got pulled onto the excitement train to fantasize beyond this when we were led to believe that we got Latham, Spearman, Nye (per 2 reliable sources) and the news that a POY from a mid-major conference was planning to visit, all within a week's time of having a full staff. I still feel positive, but not getting Nye and to a much lesser extent the POY player committing elsewhere before coming here help me put the brakes on the runaway train that had gathered too much momentum. I still am feeling positive about the future and hope we get one or two more solid transfers. I have reverted back to my original hope of having a good team who is setting the stage for better things to come in the future.
Agree 💯

Looks like P'hariz Watkins and Dillon Carson are the last two positions on the coaching staff as graduate assistants.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
My apologies. Back in the dark ages, c. 1968-70, I was an impoverished grad student working for scraps as a copy editor for an academic journal. Bad habits linger.

So cool. I get you. Once a copy editor, ALWAYS a copy editor. Drives me nuts these days to look at carelessly edited news stories, or billboards, or even menus. For me it has been 40-plus years of noticing every silly grammatical error and typo and the gradual erosion of language that has haunted my ocd existence. At least I can laugh at myself over it. I take solace in that. lol

That would depend on if they promoted another player with nonstop coverage. Without the media blitz the viewership would have been normal.
You would first have to find another player who could demand that much attention with the type of performances Clark put in day in and day out. Or otherwise there would be many millions less viewers on women's basketball. Viewership being normal doesn't grow the game.

You would first have to find another player who could demand that much attention with the type of performances Clark put in day in and day out. Or otherwise there would be many millions less viewers on women's basketball. Viewership being normal doesn't grow the game.
Juju Watkins put on a show her freshman season, and she would be worthy of that type of coverage, but I doubt she gets it, I’m sure people will turn on her for some reason. They will probably try to promote Paige if they follow their pattern.

Juju Watkins put on a show her freshman season, and she would be worthy of that type of coverage, but I doubt she gets it, I’m sure people will turn on her for some reason. They will probably try to promote Paige if they follow their pattern.

That’s already what’s happening which is silly, better to promote the younger player with mor eligibility lol. Take advantage of the new wave and give them what they want for another 3 years. Is Juju my fav? Nah, her passing just isn’t for me, but she does have some nice moves man. That little shimmy is signature.

I feel like they’re “giving Paige her flowers” which is fine, but I do hope they make an attempt to cover more than just one player.

Clark was a TOTAL outlier, just a freak.

Something that hurt JuJu is the same thing that's been hurting west coast athletes forever - playing in the west coast time zone when most of the country is asleep. Ever heard of Mike Trout? Probably the best overall baseball player of the decade who is almost unknown bc he's spent his career with the Angels. It was even worse for JuJu bc she was tied exclusively to the Pac 12 network which almost no one has even if they were awake.

Should get better for her next year when she'll have more games in other time zones and hopefully be seen on other networks during the regular season. But no one is going to get the attention CC got unless they routinely drain the kind of spectacular, splashy shots she hit.

Something that hurt JuJu is the same thing that's been hurting west coast athletes forever - playing in the west coast time zone when most of the country is asleep. Ever heard of Mike Trout? Probably the best overall baseball player of the decade who is almost unknown bc he's spent his career with the Angels. It was even worse for JuJu bc she was tied exclusively to the Pac 12 network which almost no one has even if they were awake.

Should get better for her next year when she'll have more games in other time zones and hopefully be seen on other networks during the regular season. But no one is going to get the attention CC got unless they routinely drain the kind of spectacular, splashy shots she hit.
Steph Curry plays on the west coast, I don’t think he’s had a problem. If they promote her correctly she will be huge, she has an overall game that’s unmatched at this point in her career. People can stay up to watch greatness, I watched every USC,Stanford and UCLA game this season because I wanted to watch Juju, Kiki, and Lauren Betts. Trust me is not just about shooting 3’s to get people to watch, just give the same nonstop promo and watch the number skyrocket.

I think this roster can be better than expected. I look for Jillian to be more of a force. I think a more wide-open, faster paced offense will unlock a lot of players. Though she is not the fastest player in the world, Tess is really good at transition threes. I think Sara will have a much bigger role in the offense and might put up numbers that get her in a conversation for an all conference spot. The big question mark for this team is PG,. Will Destinee be able to go and at what level post ACL. Who else carries the load-- Wynn again, Coooper? If CKC can bring in a capable and experienced PG, this roster does not look bad.

I think a good first season would be a 4th place conference finish which will probably go SC, Texas, LSU. So, 4th means getting ahead of Ole Miss and Oklahoma and staying ahead of Bama and all the other strivers. 4th gets a NCAA bid and probably a decent path to the S16.
I think that is fair and should be expected, making the NCAA tourny is the bottom line. It is up to White to provide the resources for her to get the recruit to accomplish that. It is the expectation like it or not. The roster has to get another pg even though I believe UT keeps both Boyd and Cooper. I hope Wells and Boyd are healthy and ready this fall. I believe UT needs another 6 foot athletic wing who can handle the ball to beat the press. You are not going to find a Horston or Jackson but even if we did I doubt we could afford them in todays market. We have to upgrade team speed and quickness if only for defensive purposes. I know Wynn and Darby are here, Darby has the BB smarts and Wynn is a player that has to prove she can play smart. Wynn can handle the ball well enough to break a press when called on. The system is great etc but it is the Jill and Janes and not the X's and o's. Our new coach was labeled a money ball coach by some in the press. To me that means the system and coach puts together a team that can win when the program cannot sign elite talent. The problem is that Staley and SC is playing ball 9 deep and can press plus she gets quality big play for the half court. She is signing elite HS players and bringing in players in the portal that are future WNBA players. Some moron or a bunch of morons posted she was not a great coach, she won because of talent. She just won a NC and went undefeated with a young team that was supposed to be rebuilding. She has staff that puts together scouting and game plans similar to a WNBA staff. She has Jolette Law as an assistant and Staley is just getting started. Coach KC has a hard row to hoe. But expectations are still the same.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back