Tennessee BBall and Adidas vs. Nike

lostsheep

Reading all of the gibberish concerning the impact shoe companies are having on which schools get which recruits has been a bit surprising to me. I knew they were involved heavily, but didn't know to what level. Question for you old-heads that are knowledgeable (or at least think you are :D) about Tennessee basketball...

Has Tennessee shifting from an Adidas school to a Nike one had a quantifiable impact on recent BBall recruiting? I know Ziti would argue that recruiting still sucks, but it appears to me that we are in more conversations now with higher ranked players. Is this a product of a good year, or does it speak more to what's going on with the shoe circuit?

Not sure but I do remember Rucker reporting that Cuonzo Martin was extremely happy when it was announced in 2014 that in 2015 UT was switching to Nike, though he didn't stay long enough to see it happen.

No.
But imo it’s because this staff ain’t having any 1st, 2nd or 3rd parties do anything shady that could be connected to the program. Plausible deniability says it would be easier for a coach to use a shoe co. to pay for a players services. But I’m just speculating and giving one old heads 2 cents.

It's better than Adidas. It's not the biggest factor for a recruit unless a payment is involved.

Adidas has cheats in its ranks (just as Louisville) plus Nike does some nice uniform designs.

I actually wore an old Adidas bball jersey to work a couple weeks ago for "team day" and got some looks for it lol. I think it was odd enough for them to see a bball jersey, let alone an Adidas.

I think winning has a much greater effect on recruiting than what brand of shoe they wear. That being said I believe Nike basketball shoes are better than adidas. However adidas apparel is better quality than Nike.

VN Store

Back