Tennessee a seven point underdog against West Virginia

They really need to pusb the running game. Every time you have the ball run the play clock down to 0. If we can run on them, run 75% of the time and make each drive 4 or so minutes. If we do that it keeps our defense fresh, tires out their defense, and gets rid of any momentum their offense might have. That causes mistakes. If their offense is sitting on the bench chomping at the bits to get back out there it causes them to over think and causes errors. Easier said than done, yes, but we have Chandler and London and other quality backs that if they can get 3 or 4 yards every carry and stretch to the first down marker over and over we'll be fine.

Basically, we need to go Georgia Tech on them but not blow it at the end!

Reactions: 1 person
Seems like in every single thread someone points out how bad our defense is. Honest question... is our defense really that bad or was our offense so inept that our defense was on the field a ridiculously disproportionate amount of the time? I seem to recall the latter, but perhaps my memory is bad.

Seems like in every single thread someone points out how bad our defense is. Honest question... is our defense really that bad or was our offense so inept that our defense was on the field a ridiculously disproportionate amount of the time? I seem to recall the latter, but perhaps my memory is bad.
That's what I'm thinking. Last season our offense could not sustain drives. Look at us against alabama last year. For the first quarter and a half it was close but after that our defense was worn out.

I agree. I won't go so far as to say our D will be really good, but I think last year's suckiness wasn't necessarily representative, even for that system, and we could be underestimating them, especially in a new scheme under a new coach.

If we only lose by 7 it will be a good day...Too much WVU offensive power and our defense is horrid.

Sure was..last year. No one knows what it will be this year. Here is a thought, let’s wait until the first game to pass judgement. Oh, if you’re going by what you watched Spring Game, glorified scrimmage. Understand why you and any fan would be pessimistic, but I choose to wait until halftime of the game to go full ballistic with everyone else on here. Oh, :)

Reactions: 2 people

The offense was inept but the defense was really that bad. I mean our rush defense was one of the worst in the entire country. Its one thing to let Alabama and Georgia run wild on you. But letting GT put up 535 yards rushing and almost 700 yards of offense on you? And also giving up over 400 yards rushing to freaking Missouri? Sorry but that is just flat out terrible defense.

This game will come down to whether our OL can move people off the ball and allow us to run the ball and control the clock. We are not going to outscore WVU. We must limit the number of times they get an opportunity to score.

My favorite General Neyland Maxim (somehow it didn't make it into the ones recited before the game)...

"If the line goes forward, the team wins; if it comes backward, the team loses."

Spot on!

Neither do we

Different staff now, different coach, hopefully a different mentality. Shoop was over rated so was our strength and conditioning. They quit last year, and our offense could not sustain drives. I believe we'll see something totally different this year. Not predicting 10-2 or anything, but this isn't a 4-8 roster and neither is this staff.

It’s basically impossible at this point to make any intelligent predictions. Fall practice could change everything. Injuries, players maturing, getting stronger over the summer etc etc. We can bring forward all the negatives from last season and make predictions based on the 2017 team but PTL that team won’t play this year. But I guess folks still have fun with this nonsense anyways.....

Different staff now, different coach, hopefully a different mentality. Shoop was over rated so was our strength and conditioning. They quit last year, and our offense could not sustain drives. I believe we'll see something totally different this year. Not predicting 10-2 or anything, but this isn't a 4-8 roster and neither is this staff.

Still don’t get that about Shoop, how in the world did he do at Vandy and Penn State and stink so bad here? Was it Butch or did he try too fast, too soon here? Honestly want to know. That one is a head scratcher for me.

Reactions: 4 people
If we only lose by 7 it will be a good day...Too much WVU offensive power and our defense is horrid.

They are not near as explosive when you look at what they did against weaker teams. They are very 1 dimensional. Plus their Defense is as bad as their passing offense is good.

Still don’t get that about Shoop, how in the world did he do at Vandy and Penn State and stink so bad here? Was it Butch or did he try too fast, too soon here? Honestly want to know. That one is a head scratcher for me.

I do believe some is on Butch, I also believe you're seeing just how good Franklin is also, as he's doing fantastic still without Shoop.

I do believe some is on Butch, I also believe you're seeing just how good Franklin is also, as he's doing fantastic still without Shoop.

I don’t doubt you on this, if this is the true explanation, it would still be on Butch. If Franklin held him up the whole time, then Butch would be the one that over estimated the coach he hired for the big bucks.

You don't know about our defense.

Even if they are bad. We might just outscore them...

We don't know what type of team will take the field in Charlotte against the Mountaineers.

CJP doesn't mince words and one of his first criticisms was how undersized the team looked compared to bama, and other SEC teams.

And it has been a focus of this coaching staff...one of many!

We'll find out soon enough. If MissSt has a lights out defense then it was probably CBJ.

VN Store

Back