Stocks were NOT up today

I still don’t believe he is that dumb and makes it that easy every time . It has to be a joke of some kind .

No, no.....

It’s not a joke.

We thought maybe it was a few years ago but time has proven that he is the punchline.

The people who stayed in the market when it crashed in 08 and then bought heavy when it was bottomed out made a boat load of money.

It’s the people who flip out and pull their money when it starts to drop.

History has shown us the market will only keep going up over time.

Very simple, well run businesses are supposed to be stable and last, unless being bought out or acquired. What happens today, or tomorrow, should not take away from my 5, 10, and 15+ year plan.

Day trading corrupted the market, and so did commodities and futures, they created the quick buck market. I have a lot of P&G stock, have never sold a share, and they came from my grandfather who worked there in the 40's-60's, always buying more with each paycheck and always reinvesting the dividends. I still do the same with the dividends and still buy shares as well from time to time. The shares will never be touched until I die and they will be given to friends and their children, it is the greatest annuity one could hope to have.

My point, these shares have done nothing but split and split and the original shares when passed on to the 3 children after both grandparents passed, was quite astounding. That was over 30 years ago, and my mom (one of the 3 children) has never touched them either just reinvesting. Now, I made my own way and these shares are an extremely nice thing to have, but, I'll never touch them. When I go, the people receiving them will instantly be millionaires, as we have spoken about, I hope that they see the generational impact long term investing has.

You invest for the long term, unfortunately people, because of the easy way, think investing is instantaneous rewards, and it can be, but, it is not the purpose of the market. P&G expects to be here 20 and 50+ years from now.

Reactions: McDad
I love the stock market and watching people comment and/or panic at every move up or down. Invest in a low cost S&P 500 index fund and reap the rewards.
That is the easy way. Not as much fun though as option trading. (with mad money of course, dyodd, ymmv, past returns are no guarantee... yada yada yada)

I love the stock market and watching people comment and/or panic at every move up or down. Invest in a low cost S&P 500 index fund and reap the rewards.
If the market went up 5% in two days no one would say boo. It goes down 5% in two days and the world is ending. People put far more importance on negative outcomes than equal positive ones.

Reactions: UCVols
My plan.
Buy simi conservative
Never sold anything.

When it’s time to shut down I’ll cash out. Or leave it for my kids to worry about

Reactions: 1972 Grad
My plan.
Buy simi conservative
Never sold anything.

When it’s time to shut down I’ll cash out. Or leave it for my kids to worry about

Just sell anything that's down to use the tax write off. Anything that has risen in value don't sell... leave the appreciated securities to your kids and they can take advantage of the IRS's stepped up cost basis rule (assuming that the evil democrats don't change the IRS rules... because, you know. They're evil people).

If the market went up 5% in two days no one would say boo. It goes down 5% in two days and the world is ending. People put far more importance on negative outcomes than equal positive ones.
That's pretty much a universal truth. For some reason, most folks seem to feast on pain. I don't really understand it. How often do you read about or watch reporting of positive events in the news? And before you jump on the news source, it doesn't matter. They all do it. They show what brings up their ratings, so clearly viewers prefer the negative stories.

BS. You and FOX would praise Trump for your 401k .

BS. You and FOX would praise Trump for your 401k .
It’s not even close. Look up how many articles this drop spawned regarding an impending bear market, recession, safety stocks, etc. If the market went up the same amount there wouldn’t be nearly as many articles saying bull market here to stay, how to cash in, etc. Even if you do have a good run it causes lots of articles about overheating and unsupported exuberance.

The people that gripe sound like my mom. The market goes down 1% and she’s calling me asking what’s going on and what a beating she took today. Like 1% in one day has a big impact on the next 25-30 years of her retirement.

VN Store

Back