Stocks were NOT up today

Looks like our resident anti-predictor has done it again. Today's gains (so far) plus yesterday's gain account for over 1/2 of the losses that prompted the prediction.

No one has a better track record than the OP and getting it exactly wrong.

So I gather that the plan is that every day the market goes up you drop by, mock the thread... and simply ignore the days it goes down. Plus ignore the larger point, which s that absent a meaningful improvement in the lot of the middle class, the economy will over time continue to falter.

Reactions: 1 person
AMZN crushed earnings and up 8% AH. Could help to lead to a good day tomorrow.
poppin1.gif

So I gather that the plan is that every day the market goes up you drop by, mock the thread... and simply ignore the days it goes down. Plus ignore the larger point, which s that absent a meaningful improvement in the lot of the middle class, the economy will over time continue to falter.
Your REALISTIC plan to improve the lot of the middle class is................??

Your REALISTIC plan to improve the lot of the middle class is................??

Tax cuts that target those making < 100k, paid for by those making > 1 mill.

Tuition assistance for middle class families.

Promote programs for retraining of displaced workers.

To start.

What he said. What we are training them for now is something for which there is no market. The more of them you stuff in college, paid for by government, the more expensive it becomes to train them for something for which there is no market.

Last edited:
What he said. What we are training them for now is something for which there is no market. The more of them you stuff in college, paid for by government, the more expensive it becomes to train them for something for which there is no market.

I'm thinking more of people in their 40s that lose the factory job and need new skills.

You started this by posting when it went down one day. It's obviously a cyclical market day to day, but I firmly believe that long term market fundamentals look good. A lot of other investors agree with me on that.

Tax cuts that target those making < 100k, paid for by those making > 1 mill.
This has already happened.

Tuition assistance for middle class families.
I believe any assistance should be done at the state level. TN and GA (and FL?) use the lottery to heavily subsidize undergraduate education which I think is a good move. Federal government should only be involved in college education insofar as providing low interest loans.. and even that is a stretch. Dems already tried to shove a bunch of people to college who didn't belong and look where it got us.

Promote programs for retraining of displaced workers.
On this we agree.

I'm thinking more of people in their 40s that lose the factory job and need new skills.
Do you worry about PhDs in Gender Studies as well? I mean at least factory workers had a marketable skill at some point.

I love watching PBS. They are wringing their hands about what a change in the Iran deal could do to oil. Their special guest said it could take 300-500k barrels a day out of the market. Gasp!

World production is close to 100M barrels a day. The Saudis could find 500k barrels in their couch cushions.

Reactions: 2 people
I love watching PBS. They are wringing their hands about what a change in the Iran deal could do to oil. Their special guest said it could take 300-500k barrels a day out of the market. Gasp!

World production is close to 100M barrels a day. The Saudis could find 500k barrels in their couch cushions.
Fine with me if it goes up. My energy stocks will go up more than what I spend for gas.

Check this out and what happened in 2015 with reduced rig counts and astronomical rise in production. Horizontal drillin that reaches out 10 miles from the rig. The tech is so amazing that with 800+ rigs, but SA output is with only 60+ rigs. This few rigs seems too consolidated and a war where a "few burn" would see prices skyrocket, thence allowing for less efficient US rigs to come back online.

I am only guessing but between Canadian and US production, we are already oil energy independent fro the ME. Watch as China, now the worlds largest net importer, takes our role in the mess of the ME.

Rig Counts

Not a good morning. What's driving the market today?
Interest rates and the IMF running its mouth. Money isn’t free any longer and the market is pissed about that.

Earnings season starts Friday though and expectations are thru the roof so I would guess this is short term for now.

Interest rates and the IMF running its mouth. Money isn’t free any longer and the market is pissed about that.

Earnings season starts Friday though and expectations are thru the roof so I would guess this is short term for now.
Some economist are expecting a 13% correction.

VN Store

Back