stock market was up today...

Many of you guys really know investing and have done well...i think some of you even get their primary source of income from their investments rather than having to work for the man.
Please weigh in on this one folks:

Its a new year and the Fed said they're gonna cut rates 3x...BUT its an election year as well. What do you guys think the market will do this year ?

Extra credit: IF the Dimwits somehow manage to disqualify Trump...which is the ONLY scenario in which he is NOT our president elect in November...is there any way possible the market doesn't tank with another Dimwit in office? I think our economy will roar with Trump in office, but don't see a scenario where anyone but him avoids a serious recession because their garbage policies and drunken spending simply do not work.

If Biden wins then Kamala will be POTUS soon after. As long as the House of Reps doesn’t flip it might not be as bad as that sounds. However if we’re targeted by an adversary in any big way the markets could crumble.

The Fed only sets the short term rates. What happens with mortgages and LT corporate debt will be more impactful. Each Fed rate cut could see some near term “sell the news” equity share movements.

The NASDAQ might be dead money in 2024. Since it’s a cap weighted the biggest names carried it with the huge up move. Health care and energy are often mentioned as possible outperforming sectors HOWEVER Big Pharma makes up the biggest piece of HC and BOTH the Ds and Rs love to threaten them during election cycles. Medicare/Medicaid cuts have already been happening so more of that can’t be good for them.

You never know when big rallies will begin so staying long and averaging new money into equities over time is a solid strategy.

WOW... this is probably one of the most deceptive articles I've seen written in a while. Read the headline, and then read down in the story.

Retail sales jumped 0.7% in March, much higher than expected

Rising inflation in March didn't deter consumers, who continued shopping at a more rapid pace than anticipated, the Commerce Department reported Monday.
OK, so the initial impression most people would take away from this is that in spite of inflation, American consumers are still out buying clothes, going to movies and ball games and buying big ticket electronics. OK...

But then you get to here on further down...

A rise in gas prices helped push the headline retail sales number higher, with sales up 2.1% on the month at service stations. However, the biggest growth area for the month was online sales, up 2.7%, while miscellaneous retailers saw an increase of 2.1%.

Multiple categories did report declines in sales for the month: Sporting goods, hobbies, musical instruments and books posted a 1.8% decrease, while clothing stores were off 1.6%, and electronics and appliances saw a 1.2% drop.

So consumers having to spend more on energy is now being used to control a narrative. I suppose GDP will also show growth based on higher energy costs? When I see the word "shopping", I think of people going to the mail or the retail stores making purchases. I don't think of "shopping" being me going to the gas station or me paying my electric/gas bill.

Last edited:
Reactions: norrislakevol
WOW... this is probably one of the most deceptive articles I've seen written in a while. Read the headline, and then read down in the story.

OK, so the initial impression most people would take away from this is that in spite of inflation, American consumers are still out buying clothes, going to movies and ball games and buying big ticket electronics. OK...

So consumers having to spend more on energy is now a being used to control a narrative. I suppose GDP will also show growth based on higher energy costs? When I see the word "shopping", I think of people going to the mail or the retail stores making purchases. I don't think of "shopping" being me going to the gas station or me paying my electric/gas bill.
They got to make the libs look good so Potato head gets re elected

So consumers having to spend more on energy is now a being used to control a narrative. I suppose GDP will also show growth based on higher energy costs? When I see the word "shopping", I think of people going to the mail or the retail stores making purchases. I don't think of "shopping" being me going to the gas station or me paying my electric/gas bill.
I posted in another thread the most ridiculous thing about inflation numbers is leaving out food and energy, only focusing on core inflation. So I guess at least this article is making the point (finally) that food and energy are important factors wrt inflation relative to consumer spending. We (consumers) are repeating history from prior to the financial crisis, too. Consumer debt levels are enormous. Shocking, I know. You can almost, if not certainly, write the ending to this from experience.

VN Store

Back