Source of O-Line Woes?

Me too brother, and not just for the obvious reasons. If they dont, and lose...this place will get yougly, people will get feelers hurt, some will get banned others will go to jail. It will not be pretty.
please, none of yall go to jail.....

Reactions: Behr
Wait, are we really changing schemes? I was under the impression we were still zone blocking. I thought I heard it mentioned on one of the coaches shows but I could be wrong.

Here are the weight training posters that Fitzgerald took off of the wall's when he got to UT.:rolleyes:
Might explain a few things.

41MPTJxZqXL._SY450_.jpg

Reactions: lifeVol
Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
I think they certainly are better than last year, but we are playing mostly young and inexperienced guys right now with Jahmir Johnson, Ryan Johnson, Jerome Carvin, Riley Locklear, Neihaus, and even Trey Smith are Sophomores or younger. Combine that with the fact Richmond isn't that good, and you got a problem. Doesn't help we've already lost a starter as well. They have certainly gotten better, they went from a bursting dam in pass protection to just a leaky faucet. We rushed for over 200 yards only 1 time last year, and 0 times over 300 yards, and have already rushed for 300 yards one game and over 100 all 3 games, which is something we failed to do 5 times last year.

They might only see slight improvement this year, which I feel they already have, but next year they should take a big step forward.

This thread's intent is not to bash the o-line but to discuss the underlying cause of our O-Line issues? We've seen very poor blocking the first 3 games with penalties, missed assignments and a general lack of push. I'm not big on the "no talent" argument and compiled the recruiting #'s (readily available measure of talent and demand but not the end all be all). It certainly doesn't appear like we're marching a bunch of scrubs out there.

Pos Player Name Year 247 Composite Offers # Notable Other Offers
LT1 Trey Smith SO 0.99 5* 26 Everyone
LT2 Nathan Niehaus SO 0.84 3* 9 Cinci, Louisville
LG1 Jahmir Johnson JR 0.89 3* JUCO 20 USC, NEB, Multiple SEC
LG2 K'Rojhn Calbert SO 0.86 3* 12 FL, Multiple SEC
C1 Ryan Johnson SO 0.91 4* 12 Al, Clem, Mich, ND
C2 Riley Locklear SO 0.86 3* 22 FSU, Miami, Penn, Ore
RG1 Jerome Carvin FR 0.89 4* 18 AL, FL, Mich, AU, A&M
RG2 Chance Hall JR 0.86 3 * 9 Mich, ND, Maryland
RT1 Drew Richmond JR 0.97 4* 29 Everyone
RT2 Marcus Tatum SO 0.88 3* 24 AL, FL, Stan, AU, Miami

Is it that they are that underdeveloped from the previous regime? Is it that they're learning a new blocking scheme and playbook that is way different from previous years? They look fairly young as a unit so maybe that's the issue. One things for certain, they need to make giant leaps as a unit to compete with the gauntlet of SEC defensive fronts they are about to face. What's your thoughts Volnation?

Trey Smith is elite. Chance Hall just got unlucky with injuries and his football career probably ends at Tennessee unfortunately. Drew Richmond is a total bust. Most of the rest of that list are either still young (second year players) or were at best 3 star players anyway with a terrible head coach who taught them bad things.

CJP has a chance to maybe positively affect 2 players from this list and make them significantly better players.

The rest just have to be cycled out of the program. Get rid of that Butch stank.

This thread's intent is not to bash the o-line but to discuss the underlying cause of our O-Line issues? We've seen very poor blocking the first 3 games with penalties, missed assignments and a general lack of push. I'm not big on the "no talent" argument and compiled the recruiting #'s (readily available measure of talent and demand but not the end all be all). It certainly doesn't appear like we're marching a bunch of scrubs out there.

Pos Player Name Year 247 Composite Offers # Notable Other Offers
LT1 Trey Smith SO 0.99 5* 26 Everyone
LT2 Nathan Niehaus SO 0.84 3* 9 Cinci, Louisville
LG1 Jahmir Johnson JR 0.89 3* JUCO 20 USC, NEB, Multiple SEC
LG2 K'Rojhn Calbert SO 0.86 3* 12 FL, Multiple SEC
C1 Ryan Johnson SO 0.91 4* 12 Al, Clem, Mich, ND
C2 Riley Locklear SO 0.86 3* 22 FSU, Miami, Penn, Ore
RG1 Jerome Carvin FR 0.89 4* 18 AL, FL, Mich, AU, A&M
RG2 Chance Hall JR 0.86 3 * 9 Mich, ND, Maryland
RT1 Drew Richmond JR 0.97 4* 29 Everyone
RT2 Marcus Tatum SO 0.88 3* 24 AL, FL, Stan, AU, Miami

Is it that they are that underdeveloped from the previous regime? Is it that they're learning a new blocking scheme and playbook that is way different from previous years? They look fairly young as a unit so maybe that's the issue. One things for certain, they need to make giant leaps as a unit to compete with the gauntlet of SEC defensive fronts they are about to face. What's your thoughts Volnation?

One word answer : LYLE

I really, really hope Phil isn't getting involved in specifics in these discussions.

Phil own offensive lines, and his entire teams, were nothing to write home about late in his tenure. He's 15+ years removed from his last truly great team.

Coach Fulmer was sabotaged by a lot of academic snobs following Dickey's retirement. It became difficult to get players in UT compared to other schools in the SEC.

Reactions: hexnut
It's not Pruitt's fault since he just got here. It's not the talent' fault since they were 4 or 5 star recruits that excelled in high school.

Therefore, by process of elimination, it really boils down to two possibilities.

1. S&C

2. Butch's horrible coaching

Practically all of the guys on that list except Smith should have been redshirted and put in a weight room and not allowed to leave until they increased their strength significantly and weight necessary to complete in the SEC. Instead several were not redshirted or redshirted due to injury which required rehab time over development. Add to it Tennessee's weight program had to be the worst in developing talent in the country. LOS has been weak for years......Its a long hard road to get where you gotta be.

Reactions: trion23
Smith does. I saw flashes of it Saturday from Ryan Johnson. Carvin definitely has it. He mauled a few guys.
I agree with those, Richmond does not at all. Really miss Jack Jones that boy had it for sure. Of course unfortunately his time was cut short really hate it for him, we could really use his kind of grit and determination.

Reactions: sjt18
Is Chance Hall ready yet???? I thought the mission was to have him ready for SEC play. We could use a healthy Chance Hall Saturday. GBO!!!!!

Reactions: sjt18
Is Chance Hall ready yet???? I thought the mission was to have him ready for SEC play. We could use a healthy Chance Hall Saturday. GBO!!!!!
I've noticed he's been playing some, I certainly hope he's full go by Saturday that would be great. I know against WV he and Trey Smith was a good tandem on the left side

It seems to me that the real question is: "Besides Trey, do we have a single OL who could play in the NFL now or down the road?"

VN Store

Back