Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Yet it makes perfect sense. This is probably our best team under Barnes. You also didn’t quote that or refer to it the first time. It can me dramatic all you want but it doesn’t stop it from being the goal. Now that a hated rival (Bama) or a lower level overall program (Clemson) than us is guaranteed to make their first final four, it is even more pertinent. We are more than good enough to have multiple final fours under our belt as a basketball program. I really do not see us being this good for a few years either…so when is it coming if we do not do it this time…

We don’t know what will happen this year, but it’s usually not the ‘best’ team that makes it. I think it’s safe to say that Oats had his best team at Bama last year with Brandon Miller, but they made it further with this group, which is a common occurrence.

Bad faith argument like people have to make a deal with the devil. Both can happen. You can make a Final Four, and you can continue to make the tournament. Would other top 25 programs want this deal?
My point exactly. I like being good enough every year that makes us a possible FF contender every year

We ALL want the final four, but if Oats makes it this year it doesn’t make him better than Barnes. Just like Frank Martin isn’t better than Barnes, for example.
Why are you trying to put Frank Martin into the equation. What exactly will Oats not have achieved that Barnes would have then?

If you’re not a blue blood that can stack entire rosters of McDonald’s All Americans, it’s harder to make a Final Four than to win a national championship in football.
This is simply not true under any circumstance and it’s absurd for you to put it out in the world. Go count how many teams make a Final Four in basketball vs how many win national titles in football. Heck just go count the difference in the last 5-10 years.

Reactions: Probably_in_Class
You’re the one that said final four or bust
Answer the question that was presented to you. Asking for one Final Four in a decade should be a required thing with how good we supposedly are anyway. Certainly my expectation. It is crazy to have fans say that they are good if we never finish on the biggest stage in the sport ever. Destined for mediocrity with that approach.

We don’t know what will happen this year, but it’s usually not the ‘best’ team that makes it. I think it’s safe to say that Oats had his best team at Bama last year with Brandon Miller, but they made it further with this group, which is a common occurrence.
Just not for Tennessee right. Everybody else is allowed to have their fun and their runs except us. We should never get in on the party.

Last edited:
This is simply not true under any circumstance and it’s absurd for you to put it out in the world. Go count how many teams make a Final Four in basketball vs how many win national titles in football. Heck just go count the difference in the last 5-10 years.
Look at how many teams are competitive at the top level of D1 BB vs FB.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
Just not for Tennessee right. Everybody else is allowed to have their fun and their runs except us. We should never get in on the party.

Well, we did have a similar party when we thought we had lost our best player from the football team (Peyton Manning), but yet the next year we won the championship. Sadly, I did not work here yet for that one, so I was not invited to that party. But yes, we have not been quite as fortunate in basketball.

Well, we did have a similar party when we thought we had lost our best player from the football team (Peyton Manning), but yet the next year we won the championship. Sadly, I did not work here yet for that one, so I was not invited to that party. But yes, we have not been quite as fortunate in basketball.
Al Wilson sure does help things…hope he is in the arena this weekend…lol

Reactions: Volprofch05
Answer the question that was presented to you. Asking for one Final Four in a decade should be a required thing with how good we supposedly are anyway. Certainly my expectation. It is crazy to have fans say that they are good if we never finish on the biggest stage in the sport ever. Destined for mediocrity with that approach.
You think these last few years is mediocrity? I didn’t see you ask me a question previously but I’m not going to answer it because I don’t work for you. If you think final 4’s is the measure of a coach, then I’ve got some surprising names for you of coaches that belong among the greats.

You say you aren’t one of the “fire Barnes” people. Great. Then what’s the point you’re making? Should Tennessee have made a final four by now? Yeah. What you you think we should do about it? Truth be told, the 99- 2000 and 2006-2007 teams had a better/easier path than this team, imo. I think 2019,22,23 teams had easier paths. Deighton is very good. Purdue is very good. Gonzaga is good. You’re acting like final fours are easy. You’re acting like there aren’t things that have happened in the past that have made it difficult. (I mentioned these above)
I started going to bball games in the 80’s. Many here have been around longer than that. We know what it means. We crave a final four/championship. We want it bad. We want it more than any of the things that have been achieved. If it doesn’t happen, I’m going to be a grey and disappointed. Crushed. However, I’m not going to feel differently about Barnes or this team/season. It’s going to be another team that did great things but fell short of the ultimate goal. As bad as we feel, those guys are gonna feel it even worse. I’m not gonna pile on.

What does “final four or bust” mean? We just sit around and gripe again about not making one? If you don’t want Barnes fine if he doesn’t make it, what are you saying? You’re saying the season is waste? Ok, fine. Have fun.

Last edited:
You’re the only fan here that wants Tennessee to go to the Final Four. You win.

VN Store

Back