Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Sorry I got here late to the party of Barnes fanatics. Pearl is a great coach, but again he disgraced this University and cost himself a 3 year show cause (suspension). Plus jeopardize the careers of several good coaches. What kind of man does that? What's more, after being warned no contact with recruits he just basically pissed in the NCAA's face.

The University of Tennessee had no choice in the matter but to let him go. The NCAA did the rest. He regretted it and sure he might want to come back, but it is not worth the risk.
We have a great coach and yes based on past experiences Pearl may have lasted longer in the tournament than Barnes.

Here is my problem, you call out a group of Barnes Fanatics on this site. Barnes is the coach, it is posters like yourself that keep bringing Pearl into the conversation and forums. Sheesh. let the dog die without your statement and if so, then, half of this thread would be null and void.

Maybe you should go to the Auburn Boards to get your oats full instead of coming here and talking about Pearl. I think you got BB knowledge I just don't think you are a very good judge of character and made an unnecessary bet to stir up crap for your entertainment.

If we had an AD and Admin like we have now, we could have gone to war with the NCAA over it in the same manner we just did with the NIL stuff. Lets not act like Mike Hamilton and Cheek were some braniacs of their time.

Reactions: VolDave53
If we had an AD and Admin like we have now, we could have gone to war with the NCAA over it in the same manner we just did with the NIL stuff. Let’s not act like Mike Hamilton and Cheek were some braniacs of their time.
The problems were:
*Pearl had lied to the NCAA
*The NCAA been after Pearl for years
*Pearl was not well liked among the $$$
*19 wins and a 1st round exit in 2011 probably knocked some of the shine off

Reactions: crnanancy
The problems were:
*Pearl had lied to the NCAA
*The NCAA been after Pearl for years
*Pearl was not well liked among the $$$
*19 wins and a 1st round exit in 2011 probably knocked some of the shine off

You mean the 2011 Tourney that Hamilton gave public comments the night before tipoff that he didn't know if Pearl was going to "be here next season"

Once again, Hamilton was a complete and utter moron who sandbagged the team, not Pearl, the night before our first round game. Hence, the blowout.

Reactions: LibertyVol
You mean the 2011 Tourney that Hamilton gave public comments the night before tipoff that he didn't know if Pearl was going to "be here next season"

Once again, Hamilton was a complete and utter moron who sandbagged the team, not Pearl, the night before our first round game. Hence, the blowout.
Agree with your take on Hamilton, but it doesn’t change the facts on Pearl’s NCAA violations IMO. A coach can lawyer up with the NCAA and say nothing, but when they have you dead to rights and you lie along with soliciting others to lie then there’s nothing a university can do to save your ass. JMO

It was accurate.

We didn’t lose. Proved Texas wrong. If we had, it would have proven them right.

Can be upset at facts but should just celebrate the win
Whoopsie Daisy! I totally forgot that you worked for Steve Patterson and the Texas Athletic Dept. between 2013 and 2015 (given Steve got canned in Sept. of '15 not too long after firing Barnes) and were part of the decision made by their administration to fire Barnes.

Stating, "If we lose this, it validates the exact reason Texas moved on from Barnes," implies you have direct knowledge of "facts" when in reality you are making a super vanilla statement that is subjective and missing some pretty important slices of your poopy pizza.

His struggles in the tournament no doubt played a role in TX moving on from Barnes, but so did the fact that they went 8-10 in the Big 12 that season and 20-14 overall, and had another sub .500 season in the Big 12 and overall in 2012/13 (going 7-11 in conference and 16-18 overall). Patterson was also relatively new, having been brought on in 2013, inheriting a department with its two biggest money makers (football and men's hoops) on the struggle bus. Mack Brown departed right there at the beginning of Patterson's time at ut in 2013 (not sure why I am telling you all of this, you clearly worked there, what with all those big time facts you have) in a "mutual decision." As a new AD, he likely saw the necessity to move on from two coaches who had been with the program for a really long time and might not have been "living up to standards." Freshen up a bit, as some might say, with younger, sexier coaches to appease the rabid fanbase.

Rick was also intensely loyal to his assistants, as has always been something known about him from reports on the matter and what we see with our own eyes. It seemed at the time, again, from reports, that an additional, and likely huge part of the firing, was his unwillingness to fire his staff. The AP reports at the time stated that Barnes confirmed, "Patterson told him a few days ago he had to fire staff or be fired himself." Maybe in your time under Patterson in the fact gathering stages of your role there, you might have missed this piece of it, but I can't be sure of my statement there because I was not on staff at Texas...possibly you can confirm, with facts and all.

Go Vols! I celebrated the hell out of the gritty win, think Barnes is an exceptional coach, and have a decent grasp on the defining characteristics of factual statements. I was never upset at facts because facts weren't fully presented at the time of your -still- diarrheic post. Good day! Sorry you picked my post for your response.

The timing of his comments was odd, but we were already a bubble team and something like an 8 or 9 seed. It was a down year. Hamilton was a good guy who turned out to be a not so great AD. He never really recovered from the Kiffin thing.

Pearl plays out on the edges of the rules like a lot of coaches. He’s just been caught repeatedly.

Barnes is arguably having more tournament success at TN in a shorter period than he did at TX. 3 sweet sixteen trips in four years etc.

If MH’s comments are why they lost by THIRTY POINTS in what should’ve been a toss up game, it just shows Pearl was recruiting a bunch of mental weaklings.

It’s the NCAA tournament. That alone should be all the motivation you need to give it your all.

Reactions: OrangeInKy
If we had an AD and Admin like we have now, we could have gone to war with the NCAA over it in the same manner we just did with the NIL stuff. Lets not act like Mike Hamilton and Cheek were some braniacs of their time.
We didn't have them and probably not. Pearl did this to himself made the situation worse. Check the Admin we went as far as we could and we were under the NCAA's glass jar because of football as well. Pearl's biggest mistake was lying, then trying to cover it up and then making contact with a recruit when told not to by the NCAA. Not sure the our current AD would have defended it because you couldn't defend the attempted cover up, the lie, and the contact.

Agree with your take on Hamilton, but it doesn’t change the facts on Pearl’s NCAA violations IMO. A coach can lawyer up with the NCAA and say nothing, but when they have you dead to rights and you lie along with soliciting others to lie then there’s nothing a university can do to save your ass. JMO

So many refuse to get this. UT Administration had no choice on Bruce. You cannot keep a coach with a “show cause” penalty.

Probably because the admin had gone to bat for him with the NCAA only to find out they had been lied to as well. It's a bad idea to lie to the regulators but an even worse idea to lie to your boss about it.

Probably because the admin had gone to bat for him with the NCAA only to find out they had been lied to as well. It's a bad idea to lie to the regulators but an even worse idea to lie to your boss about it.
Hmmm, let's us know how Hamilton and the admin had Pearls back.
If I recall the admin knew the NCAA had the picture but didn't inform Pearl the NCAA knew about it.
.So how is that having his back?

Bless your heart...you really believe this don't you? LOL

(Hint: Nobody is going to war for a coach who lies to them and the governing body of their sport while also badgering a recruit and their parents to also lie for them)

If MH’s comments are why they lost by THIRTY POINTS in what should’ve been a toss up game, it just shows Pearl was recruiting a bunch of mental weaklings.

It’s the NCAA tournament. That alone should be all the motivation you need to give it your all
Exactly. I guess Hamilton also made Pearl just play Maymon for 1 minute that game. Nothing is Bruce’s fault.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92

It’s the NCAA tournament. That alone should be all the motivation you need to give it your all.

When you publicly undermine your student athletes, not your coach, less than 24 hours prior to their first round game, you are an ass..... I'll give a pas and won't defend Pearl in that instance. But what Hamilton did to athletes across multiple sports was moronic. But Hamilton was a moron so it isn't shocking that he would try to undermine the players with games still to play.

Bless your heart...you really believe this don't you? LOL

(Hint: Nobody is going to war for a coach who lies to them and the governing body of their sport while also badgering a recruit and their parents to also lie for them)
Wolverines might feel differently....they went to war fot JH to be a cheater and then leave them

Reactions: VolDave53

VN Store

Back