Serena Williams Beatdown Meltdown-Victim of Sexism

how about people calling Sarah Sanders an ugly drag queen - sexist and homophobic in one!

100%.

It's just a lot more rampant on one side. Maybe it's because there is significantly more female leadership on one side. Maybe they're both equally sexist, racist, and homophobic.

*gasp*

What if the problem is bigotry from straight dudes as a whole, regardless of political affiliation?

100%.

It's just a lot more rampant on one side. Maybe it's because there is significantly more female leadership on one side. Maybe they're both equally sexist, racist, and homophobic.

*gasp*

What if the problem is bigotry from straight dudes as a whole, regardless of political affiliation?

It's not just straight dudes. Women do it, gay do it, different races do it.

I disagree it's more rampant on one side (bigotry). The form can vary (for example I see considerable religious bigotry coming that side that's supposed to be not bigoted) but . Likewise I see political bigotry across the board and class/regional bigotry across the board.

While I'm preaching here I see plenty of accusations of bigotry based on the source of a comment. Someone from the left and the right say the same thing and only one is considered bigotry. The rationale? Well that side is full of bigots so it has to be bigotry (a false argument).

The reason I'm defending Ramos is the charge is serious. It was thrown out and people are buying in. I'm betting this affects his career. It is certainly possible he was being sexist (though his past history suggests otherwise) but there has been zero due process and lots of piling on to attack him with a staggering lack of evidence.

Final thought: if a person from the left and a person from the right make the same comment and you only consider one of them to be bigoted based on their political affiliation - you are being bigoted yourself. (a general comment; not aimed at you DF).

Reactions: FallCreekVols
People do stupid crap. When you are in the heat of it and you see your pupil losing... you always feel that they could turn it around if only... it's born of frustration. Let's be honest, he only gets to see her lose a handful of times each year.
Just thought it odd why he would admit to something that's pretty easy to deny. She obviously took the idea of her being a cheater pretty seriously.

It's not just straight dudes. Women do it, gay do it, different races do it.

Sure, everyone is bigoted at some point in the day. However, straight males are definitely in the most comfortable position to be sexist, racist, and homophobic. They're certainly the most common denominator when it comes to incidental racism/sexism/homophobia. It's kind of hard to label it a burning witch when the notion has been hammered on for years, decades, and even centuries. We have historically enjoyed more privilege when it comes to discriminating based on sex, race, and orientation.

Yes, it is being highlighted more than ever now. Yes, it is overdone and has crossed the line of crying wolf. No, that does not mean actual instances of bigotry should be ignored. People should be held accountable for abusing their privilege, especially when it comes to holding someone back when they don't share the same luxury.

This incident with Serena is probably not an example of sexism. While she has been a victim of racism within the predominantly white sport (the Indian Wells occurrence was particularly disgusting), this one wasn't an episode of bigotry. Though, I suspect she has to deal with a lot of both behind closed doors within the organization. No doubt, she's had a chip on her shoulder along with her sister.

I disagree it's more rampant on one side (bigotry). The form can vary (for example I see considerable religious bigotry coming that side that's supposed to be not bigoted) but . Likewise I see political bigotry across the board and class/regional bigotry across the board.

Attacks based on discrimination are most assuredly the left's bread and butter. However, the numbers don't lie when arguing that the right prefers white, male leadership *a bit* more than the left. Neither of these prove much, but they are factors in which to weigh.

While I'm preaching here I see plenty of accusations of bigotry based on the source of a comment. Someone from the left and the right say the same thing and only one is considered bigotry. The rationale? Well that side is full of bigots so it has to be bigotry (a false argument).

No argument here. Preach on.
The reason I'm defending Ramos is the charge is serious. It was thrown out and people are buying in. I'm betting this affects his career. It is certainly possible he was being sexist (though his past history suggests otherwise) but there has been zero due process and lots of piling on to attack him with a staggering lack of evidence.

It's possible, but I don't think it was. It's a shame that it will most likely affect his career as I am quite the fan of sticklers within sports. Big Joey Crawford fan here. He and Rasheed Wallace made for some of the most entertaining off-the-clock moments in NBA history.

Final thought: if a person from the left and a person from the right make the same comment and you only consider one of them to be bigoted based on their political affiliation - you are being bigoted yourself. (a general comment; not aimed at you DF).

Oh, I know and I agree. Like I said, it's their bread and butter and the base eats it up.

However, it does help your cause when you diversify your leadership a bit more instead of having your group photos looking like the front row of a Brooks and Dunne reunion concert.

Reactions: MercyPercy
While being oblivious to why the chair umpire would take her accusation that he is a "thief" seriously.
My only interest in the story is because it's a talking point that's getting mixed in with other sports I do follow. And when sexism or racism gets pitched it gets more attention.

As a very casual observer of the sport, William's come off like ass and in a lot of cases that covers up your point. If you have one.

Yeah, says me. I do just fine, and have been more than OK with laying my cards on the table here.

Now, post up or shut up. Let's see your sow.

If it's just a picture of a sweaty, hairy palm I totally get it.

Your handle tells me all I need to know. You are referring to My Friend Flicka? Right?

Sure, everyone is bigoted at some point in the day. However, straight males are definitely in the most comfortable position to be sexist, racist, and homophobic. They're certainly the most common denominator when it comes to incidental racism/sexism/homophobia. It's kind of hard to label it a burning witch when the notion has been hammered on for years, decades, and even centuries. We have historically enjoyed more privilege when it comes to discriminating based on sex, race, and orientation.

Yes, it is being highlighted more than ever now. Yes, it is overdone and has crossed the line of crying wolf. No, that does not mean actual instances of bigotry should be ignored. People should be held accountable for abusing their privilege, especially when it comes to holding someone back when they don't share the same luxury.

This incident with Serena is probably not an example of sexism. While she has been a victim of racism within the predominantly white sport (the Indian Wells occurrence was particularly disgusting), this one wasn't an episode of bigotry. Though, I suspect she has to deal with a lot of both behind closed doors within the organization. No doubt, she's had a chip on her shoulder along with her sister.

Attacks based on discrimination are most assuredly the left's bread and butter. However, the numbers don't lie when arguing that the right prefers white, male leadership *a bit* more than the left. Neither of these prove much, but they are factors in which to weigh.

No argument here. Preach on.

It's possible, but I don't think it was. It's a shame that it will most likely affect his career as I am quite the fan of sticklers within sports. Big Joey Crawford fan here. He and Rasheed Wallace made for some of the most entertaining off-the-clock moments in NBA history.

Oh, I know and I agree. Like I said, it's their bread and butter and the base eats it up.

However, it does help your cause when you diversify your leadership a bit more instead of having your group photos looking like the front row of a Brooks and Dunne reunion concert.

Two points to add, both addressing causality vs correlation:

1) the "we see it more in males" could also be the fact that we simply hear more from males publicly. IOW, more opportunities for bigotry to be viewed by the public at large. Sexist comments about men are more generally considered funny as opposed to dangerous.

2) the diversity of leadership could be a) fewer minorities in the total pool to run for office; b) fewer women seeking political positions. IOW, it's not like the right is favoring one type over the other but rather fewer on the right from the diversity pools are running. A more meaningful comparison would be comparing how often a woman loses to a man in an R primary vs how often it happens in a D primary. My hunch is that women who choose to run for office on the R side do pretty well but not as many choose to run. We know that the number of AAs in the R party is small so again given the size of the pool, they might actually be fairing quite well when they run.

Two points to add, both addressing causality vs correlation:

1) the "we see it more in males" could also be the fact that we simply hear more from males publicly. IOW, more opportunities for bigotry to be viewed by the public at large. Sexist comments about men are more generally considered funny as opposed to dangerous.

2) the diversity of leadership could be a) fewer minorities in the total pool to run for office; b) fewer women seeking political positions. IOW, it's not like the right is favoring one type over the other but rather fewer on the right from the diversity pools are running. A more meaningful comparison would be comparing how often a woman loses to a man in an R primary vs how often it happens in a D primary. My hunch is that women who choose to run for office on the R side do pretty well but not as many choose to run. We know that the number of AAs in the R party is small so again given the size of the pool, they might actually be fairing quite well when they run.

To both 1 and 2:

Voices in the media, political candidates... aren't these positions almost always appointed (officially or unofficially)? I mean, it's incredibly rare that a candidate isn't selected and subsequently backed by their party when running for office. These people are selected and groomed. One side chooses to groom more minorities and women than the other. Same with media figures. They are hired. Sure, your argument holds water that fewer women apply for those positions than men and, in order to be pragmatic and not sexist, you hire strictly based of merit and qualifications. You could of course go deeper and say that women are socially engineered to not go for those sorts of career paths. Housewife culture still exists, even in my generation. I seent it!

Reactions: MercyPercy
To both 1 and 2:

Voices in the media, political candidates... aren't these positions almost always appointed (officially or unofficially)? I mean, it's incredibly rare that a candidate isn't selected and subsequently backed by their party when running for office. These people are selected and groomed. One side chooses to groom more minorities and women than the other. Same with media figures. They are hired. Sure, your argument holds water that fewer women apply for those positions than men and, in order to be pragmatic and not sexist, you hire strictly based of merit and qualifications. You could of course go deeper and say that women are socially engineered to not go for those sorts of career paths. Housewife culture still exists, even in my generation. I seent it!

The selection depends on the pool of willing candidates, particularly with regard to race.

As a side note it's interesting how conservative black commentators/politicians are attacked as being traitors to their race. Might be a bit of a deterrent to stepping into the spotlight. The same is true for conservative women being attacked by the feminist community as being traitors or as HRC recently indicated, married women who voted for Trump were influenced by their husbands (poor little things couldn't think for themselves - talk about sexist commentary!).

There are cultural influences as you suggest and there are probably innate differences that in absence of cultural influence might explain why males and females may differ in preferred career choices.

My only interest in the story is because it's a talking point that's getting mixed in with other sports I do follow. And when sexism or racism gets pitched it gets more attention.

As a very casual observer of the sport, William's come off like ass and in a lot of cases that covers up your point. If you have one.

As a tennis fan, I appreciate what Serena has done for the sport of tennis, particularly women's tennis. I cannot imagine any other woman surpassing her records. I also appreciate the fact that she and her sister have defied amazing difficulties doing this in what typically has been predominantly a white/rich person's sport (much like Tiger did for golf). Her dad had amazing foresight to recognize the success his daughters could have in an athletic sport being played by relatively un-athletic women. We are now seeing the women's game become much more athletic (again much like Tiger in golf) as a direct result of Venus and Serena.

Given the above, she has a history of acting out like she did in this U.S. Open final. This is not necessarily a knock against her because many other great athletes have similar histories. However, in this instance, her penalties were entirely warranted and her claims of sexism entirely unwarranted. Thus, she simply should have apologized for her behavior and moved on.

They purposely put sexist umps during the women's final (please disregard the fact that Serena has been previously penalized at the US Open when directing her tirades at women umpires and line judges).
I liked this one:

THE HINDRANCE CALL
Date: Sept. 11, 2011
Opponent: Sam Stosur
Round: Final
Chair umpire: Eva Asderaki
Result: Stosur won 6-2, 6-3
What happened: Facing a break point at the start of the second set, Williams hit a forehand that she celebrated with a familiar cry of “Come on!” But she shouted as Stosur was still reaching for a backhand. Asderaki ruled the point wasn’t over and so awarded it to Stosur, saying Williams hindered her opponent’s ability to complete the exchange. Williams got broken in that game. She directed a series of insults at Asderaki, who issued a code violation for verbal abuse.
The fallout: Williams was fined $2,000 by the U.S. Open (she won $1.4 million at the tournament). But the Grand Slam committee ruled that what she did “did not rise to the level of a major offense” and so she didn’t face the additional disciplinary action that she could have been subject to after what happened in 2009.
What Williams said then: “You’re a hater, and you’re just unattractive inside,” to Asderaki.

What would watching the entire match do to establish the charge of sexism. What happened other than the events recounted in detail across many news outlets that provides the hidden information justifying a charge of sexism?
I’m thinking that someone forming their opinions based on the interpretations of others is what sheep do

So you didn’t watch it and your comments flow from the interpretations of others. Bahhhhhh!

OK then!

VN Store

Back