SEC football program's gross revenue for last FY

I had a realistic top 3 posted earlier. Saban and Meyer are fantasy choices and would have never happened.

Gary Patterson and Chris Petersen were mid-major ASSISTANTS who took over at said same mid-major jobs and ran with the opportunity. The only way they became “home run” hires was they got to approach the plate in the first place. You’d be a horrible manager. You’d throw the bank at Troy Glaus and leave Mike Trout in the minors.

Gundy was a PR move for the restless Vol fans.

Available in Coaching Search 2017:

Chris Petersen
Gary Patterson
Chip Kelly

Further down the list we could have least made a serious attempt at Scott Frost or Mullen. You know, guys with head ball coach experience.

Nah, instead we went after Pedo State Schiano a coach that literally no school is interested in at Head Coach.

Yeah, we’re serious about football.

And Bingo was his name-o...Been preaching this for years.

It's not a new practice either. Had Johnny and Phil not been hometown boys who thinks we'd ever gotten an big name coach?

Our national searches have yielded Battle, Kiffin, Dooley, etc. I think JP had potential but we haven't been serious about winning in a long time.

How many programs do? Once upon a time Oklahoma hired Florida’s DC, USC hired a failed NFL HC, Florida hired an up and comer from Utah (and followed that formula for the next two hires), Oregon promoted their OC who they had hired away from NEW HAMPSHIRE only one season earlier and who had never been a HC. Who was Clay Helton? Who was Dabo Swinney? Very rarely does a program simply transplant another program’s success story and even when it does happen it’s not fait accompli. Rich Rodriguez was as home run as you can get. A high school would have to do a pretty steep sell job to hire him right now.

Reactions: 2 people
I'll be overjoyed if Pruitt can do what Kirby Smart is doing. I think he is just as good a coach and we have a staff as competent as theirs. We have to give it some time to get the Butch out of the program both in attitude and skills. Our recruiting average is 90.13 which is 10th although we only have seven players. If we finish in the 90's with this class will be the first time in a while. Butch always did it with numbers his average was never over 90.
So If Pruitt can recruit over 90 average for three years and the coaching can develop them we'll turn this program around. Recruiting and coaching we had B recruiting and F coaching with Butch.

Gary Patterson and Chris Petersen were mid-major ASSISTANTS who took over at said same mid-major jobs and ran with the opportunity. The only way they became “home run” hires was they got to approach the plate in the first place. You’d be a horrible manager. You’d throw the bank at Troy Glaus and leave Mike Trout in the minors.

Exactly. They are home run hires now and we are financially able to poach them, but we didn’t. Why we didn’t is the issue.

We don’t have to hire assistants because we have enough money to hire sitting head coaches. We hire assistants because we’re cheap and not serious about winning.

f5b6572a2427c3fe5c6a5250438e5ee7.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Exactly. They are home run hires now and we are financially able to poach them, but we didn’t. Why we didn’t is the issue.

We don’t have to hire assistants because we have enough money to hire sitting head coaches. We hire assistants because we’re cheap and not serious about winning.

So “we don’t have to” but other teams as mentioned do it because? Bob Stoops was an assistant, Oklahoma followed him up by hiring an assistant that had been at East Carolina two seasons prior, Chip Kelly was an assistant, Kirby Smart was an assistant and before him Mark Richt was an assistant. Dabo Swinney was an assistant. All those programs “cheap”? You live in a pimp fantasy world. Hiring a Saban or Urban in their prime is a rare circumstance.

Reactions: 1 person

douche·noz·zle
ˈdo͞oSHˌnäzəl/
nounUSinformal
noun: douche nozzle
an obnoxious or contemptible person (typically used of a man).
"he's a total douchenozzle and the whole premise of the show is absurd"

That he had only "recently" heard of asparagus was not a news flash for me. Most any one who's following the Vols (even if only via VN, which I will admit is my main avenue of access being down here in Texas) will have likely heard that story.

But what in the world does knowing all the vegetables have to do with knowing how to coach football? Ain't that more the bailiwick of the full-time nutritionist who gets paid a pretty handsome wage to make sure the team and staff are well and properly fed?

So “we don’t have to” but other teams as mentioned do it because? Bob Stoops was an assistant, Oklahoma followed him up by hiring an assistant that had been at East Carolina two seasons prior, Chip Kelly was an assistant, Kirby Smart was an assistant and before him Mark Richt was an assistant. Dabo Swinney was an assistant. All those programs “cheap”? You live in a pimp fantasy world. Hiring a Saban or Urban in their prime is a rare circumstance.

And in their infinite wisdom our administration selected Greg Schiano as the next head coach from this great pool of amazing assistants. Was Schiano in your top 3 of up and coming assistant coaches?

Currie was the scapegoat for the terrible choice, and thank goodness for social media in this situation, but the string pullers are still behind the curtain waiting to manage us like the Cleveland Browns at the next opportunity.

I hope Pruitt turns us around. He certainly has a southern football pedigree, but so did Dooley.

And in their infinite wisdom our administration selected Greg Schiano as the next head coach from this great pool of amazing assistants. Was Schiano in your top 3 of up and coming assistant coaches?

Currie was the scapegoat for the terrible choice, and thank goodness for social media in this situation, but the string pullers are still behind the curtain waiting to manage us like the Cleveland Browns at the next opportunity.

I hope Pruitt turns us around. He certainly has a southern football pedigree, but so did Dooley.

Pruitt has an impressive resume of NC DC for two different programs. Dooley gets his first shot as an OC this season...no comparison. And it’s common knowledge that the Haslam’s didn’t get their way this coaching search...keep up.

Pruitt has an impressive resume of NC DC for two different programs. Dooley gets his first shot as an OC this season...no comparison. And it’s common knowledge that the Haslam’s didn’t get their way this coaching search...keep up.

The Haslams almost did and they are still in positions of influence, but shut your eyes and stick your fingers in your ears because reality is too tough to deal with.

As for Dooley it’s a perfect comparison. Son of a SEC super coach, coached under Saban in the NFL. He said “britches” and made the TN fans swoon just like “aight” does now. Fans immediately discussed their worry that UGA would steal him away once he started winning just like they say about Bama and Pruitt now. It’s sad how many quickly forget.

The Haslams almost did and they are still in positions of influence, but shut your eyes and stick your fingers in your ears because reality is too tough to deal with.

As for Dooley it’s a perfect comparison. Son of a SEC super coach, coached under Saban in the NFL. He said “britches” and made the TN fans swoon just like “aight” does now. Fans immediately discussed their worry that UGA would steal him away once he started winning just like they say about Bama and Pruitt now. It’s sad how many quickly forget.

Almost didn’t count...keep up.

Head coach pay is not the only factor. I believe our staff is one of the highest paid staffs in the country. Correct me if I'm wrong. With young ambitious coach with a top staff in place, we should be good to go for a while.

douche·noz·zle
ˈdo͞oSHˌnäzəl/
nounUSinformal
noun: douche nozzle
an obnoxious or contemptible person (typically used of a man).
"he's a total douchenozzle and the whole premise of the show is absurd"

Do you have anything of substance to add, or are you just going to post Urban Dictionary all day?

VN Store

Back