Tier 4:
Mason
Pruitt
Morehead
Odom

Tier 5:
Morris
Luke

How can you put Pruitt anywhere with his body of work being so small? Same goes for any first year head coach. Comparing their career to anyone who has been a HC for a while is just not apples to apples.

it aint the X's and O's. Its the Jimmys and Joes. That said, the sample size is too small to know whether Luke and Morris are at the bottom Tier 5. Arky, is overhauling their offense, going from Power I to Spread. As much as I hate to say it Mullen could be Tier 2. I honestly think Mason is a better coach than Muschamp and Orgeron, as well.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
If you’ve won a national championship, you’re in tier 1. Erego, Jimbo is in tier 1.

Teir 1:
Saban

The rest! Everybody else is and will most likely be no better than the 1st loser until he's gone. He wins even when he loses the SEC.

Reactions: igotworms
Tier 1:
Saban
Smart

Tier 2:
Jimbo
Gus

Tier 3:
Muschamp
Orgeron

Tier 4:
Stoops
Pruitt
Mullen
Mason
Odom
Morehead

Tier 5:
Morris
Luke

Everybody was on the Mullen train last year and now some think he's Tier 3 or 4. If folks think he over achieved at Miss St then how about Stoops at Kentucky? I would much rather recruit at Miss St than UK. Stoops also has seemed to achieve as much as he could with his talent and depth. He always plays 2nd fiddle in sports and probably gets less support from the administration than Mullen got at MSU. By the way, I was never high on getting Mullen here. I actually hoped he would be somewhere in the SEC East. With the Fl / Ga rivalry so big, I think he will be lucky to stay at UF more than 3 or 4 years. Sooo many schools raiding the state of Fl talent these days and recruiting not his strong suit, I don't think Florida was a good fit for him. Just like Pruitt, time will tell.

Gus has had too many bad seasons with good talent. Look at his record. Win 10+, next year win 6-7, rinse and repeat.

If Jimbo is so good, why did he let FSU implode after losing QB? One player and out? Did he develop them correctly. I admit they looked dangerous against Clemson but that is one game and maybe it was an off game for Clemson.

Last season, Orgeron was Les Miles 2.0: did you see the Troy game? He even failed to put away Tennessee until the storm kicked in and Tennessee self-imploded. Granted he's doing much better this season but don't over do it.

Next to Saban, name any active Head Coach or Assistant Coach with as many National Championships as Pruitt. Especially one with less than 10 years at the collegiate level of coaching.

How many does Pruitt have as a head coach? How many different assistants have rings cause of Saban? Coordinators come and go thru a revolving door there yet bama still competes for a Natty almost yearly. News flash, it's cause Saban runs the ship. Doesn't hurt to have elite talent everywhere and 2 and 3 deep at nearly every position. Depressing fact, Butch will prob get a Natty this year and maybe multiple Natty's before he leaves for a mid tier coaching position

How many does Pruitt have as a head coach? How many different assistants have rings cause of Saban? Coordinators come and go thru a revolving door there yet bama still competes for a Natty almost yearly. News flash, it's cause Saban runs the ship. Doesn't hurt to have elite talent everywhere and 2 and 3 deep at nearly every position. Depressing fact, Butch will prob get a Natty this year and maybe multiple Natty's before he leaves for a mid tier coaching position

Don't know if you've noticed but Pruitt's defenses have been good at every stop not just Alabama, but I don't think that fits your agenda

Don't know if you've noticed but Pruitt's defenses have been good at every stop not just Alabama, but I don't think that fits your agenda

Don't have an agenda and know he has been good but let's see how he does running the show without the elite recruits. Whole lot of coordinators with rings but how many get the same results leaving to less talented places. Hell how many have got them under Saban and left, have been able to beat him? None. Being good as a coordinator doesn't automatically translate over to being a good coach.

Reactions: Thorp32
Don't have an agenda and know he has been good but let's see how he does running the show without the elite recruits. Whole lot of coordinators with rings but how many get the same results leaving to less talented places. . .

College football is about recruiting. When the "less talented places" get a new coach, the biggest challenge for the new coach is to make them more talented. If he can't do that, he's not going to win a lot, no matter how good he may be with the X's and O's. Let's see a how CJP and his staff recruit through a couple of full cycles before we judge too much.

Reactions: JohnnyJava
How can you put Pruitt anywhere with his body of work being so small? Same goes for any first year head coach. Comparing their career to anyone who has been a HC for a while is just not apples to apples.
He don't get it...like so many so-called fans. Not rocket science, how can you expect greatness with less than a years work. Don't give me Smart as an example, his first year was terrible. And the East is a Cup Cake walk for most Teams in the West.

I know recruiting is a major part of being a HC but as we all know getting big time players to come to Bama is alot easier than getting them to Vandy. LSU is easier than KY and so forth. That being said, I would love to see what somebody like Mason could do with Sabans roster or what Saban could do with Vandy's team. Gus at MSU and Kirby at Ark. See who is a great "coach" and see who is at the right place at the right time and just has a knack for recruiting. That might change how we "rank" these coaches.

That cant happen so as it sits, Saban is above everybody. Jimbo and Kirby seem to be the next step and maybe Gus trailing them a little bit. Followed by a bunch of other coaches all jumbled up together and in the rear, all the newcomers that are new to being HC's like our own. I won't give them any more of a ranking, they will have to earn that themselves so last until proven otherwise.

VN Store

Back