Rocker pushing Vols' D-Line

Shades

Shady member
What is this "coaching" thing that is spoken of?

Tracy Rocker challenging Vols' D-line physically, mentally
Wes Rucker

College football practice is hard work for anyone, but it’s really hard work for the 300-pound guys expected to remain physically and mentally sharp while running around and slamming their bodies into other 300-pound guys.

Those 300-pound guys trying to learn a new scheme have it even harder than that.

In other words, practices for Tennessee’s defensive linemen are plenty tough these days.

The early portions of Saturday’s practice were especially no picnic. Any mistake defensive line coach Tracy Rocker spotted resulted in the entire unit — even those sitting out that rep — to run the length of the field and back. And the poor sap who finished last had to go it again.

Saturday wasn’t the first time that’s happened, either.

As senior Paul Bain noted earlier in camp, Rocker isn’t messing around.

It might seem cruel, but there’s a reason for it. And Bain said he understands that reason.

“The thing with Coach Rocker is he wants us to know everything,” Bain said. “He doesn’t see it [as simple]. Actually, the whole defensive staff, they want us to know everything. They think everybody should know what everybody is doing. When you know what everybody’s doing, then you know why you are where you are and why what you do is so important to the whole scheme of the defense. You know why what you’re doing matters, and it makes you want to do it even more to the best of your ability, because you know where you fall into the big picture.”

Kennedy: Vols' program not 'missing anything' under Pruitt
RYAN CALLAHAN
Tennessee football: OL Brandon Kennedy says Vols not 'missing anything' under Jeremy Pruitt

After winning a national championship at Alabama last season, Brandon Kennedy left the Crimson Tide this spring to transfer to Tennessee coming off the Vols’ first eight-loss season in program history.

It’s natural to assume that Kennedy, a redshirt junior offensive lineman, might have noticed some glaring differences between the perennial title contender he left at Alabama and the rebuilding team he joined at Tennessee.

But if there’s anything that might be holding back the Vols as they look to climb back toward the top of the SEC, he hasn’t noticed it yet.

“Honestly, I wouldn’t say we’re missing anything,” Kennedy said Thursday in his first media availability since he arrived at Tennessee this summer. “I just feel like Coach (Jeremy) Pruitt, he wants us to be physical, and he’s bringing that. And we’re all having that mindset every day when we come out to compete, so I’d really say (we are missing) nothing.”

“Pruitt, he’s bringing a winning mindset here,” Kennedy said, “so me, I just want to bring the leadership and the experience that I’ve had as a championship player to Tennessee.”

What is this "coaching" thing that is spoken of?

Wes Rucker

Kennedy: Vols' program not 'missing anything' under Pruitt
RYAN CALLAHAN
Tennessee football: OL Brandon Kennedy says Vols not 'missing anything' under Jeremy Pruitt[/QUOTEI know I haven’t been here in a while. Been working to get caught up in the office, before football season starts. Kennedy says we aren’t missing anything under Pruitt, eh? Ok...let me see if I can get this straight? Seems like everything is even with Alabama, Georgia(which I’ve been saying it all along , Smart can’t be Pruitt) and Clemson. I’ve been hollowing 10 and 2 for the season, and I’m sticking to my guns. Now, West Virginia... watch out, because your coach can’t out coach Pruitt. You can’t beat us West Virginia. Have you ever thought that we are an SEC team? Have you ever thought that we want revenge, and we are hungry? Have you ever thought that the ones left on our defense from 2016 hasn’t forgotten about Greer’s pass? Well, they haven’t, and I think those who are left on that defense is talking to the ones that are new to help them to get that revenge. Didn’t think I knew that did you? Well, it happens to turn out that my chiropractor friend told me that there are rumblings on rocky top for revenge. Players haven’t forgotten 2016 boys. They’re coming after you Greer. Trust me...👍🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Orange D, I am not yet at the level of confidence you are. Kennedy said Pruitt is not missing anything, but he didn’t say we are at the same level as Bama and Georgia.

I’m just glad to see our guys finally getting some some real coaching, which will pay its dividends sooner or later; hopefully sooner.

I would love to see us beat Bama or Ga this year, but we may need another year of depth building before that happens.

Reactions: glhal2814
Orange D, I am not yet at the level of confidence you are. Kennedy said Pruitt is not missing anything, but he didn’t say we are at the same level as Bama and Georgia.

I’m just glad to see our guys finally getting some some real coaching, which will pay its dividends sooner or later; hopefully sooner.

I would love to see us beat Bama or Ga this year, but we may need another year of depth building before that happens.
Well, as you are well aware, I’m very high on confidence. I see where you are coming from, and these guys are getting some real coaching. I still think we can beat Georgia, they are younger than we are, it would appear. I’ve done some looking around on them, and their weakness on defense is their secondary. Missouri exploited that last year in their game. Smart has been concerned this whole year, and according to some, it is still weak. They’re worried about their line backing corp as well. If we exploit that, then we can beat Georgia. I do think our offensive line and running backs can move the ball on their defense.🤭🤗

Probably 3 years away from beating bama or ga and 10 wins. It Takes Talent. Just being realistic. 7-5, 8-4, 10-2. That's thru Orange glasses too. Could be though.

Sounds like real coaching. We may not have the talent to beat the big boys but I feel better about the mo ky Vandy usc etc. If we can just stay healthy. I also feel our 2 and 3s will be better prepared to play.

He probably didn’t mention Bama and Georgia because he knows UT is a top program that’s just down right now. You never compare your school to other schools, we have our own identity and we will get better.

Football practice looked more like a cross country workout for Tennessee's defensive line Saturday.
Defensive line coach Tracy Rocker began position drills at the start of practice by sending his players on a 200-yard sprint from one side of a practice field to the other.
As the final players straggled back in, Rocker looked to see who finished last. It was John Mincey, who was required to run the sprint again. Moments later, Rocker decided to send the entire group through the sprint a second time.
This time, Mincey and fellow freshman Kingston Harris finished last.
Finally, the group settled in to start a drill. After a few rounds of hitting a practice dummy, though, a miscommunication by a few players resulted in Rocker sending the entire group on a third sprint. A walk-on freshman, Airin Spell from Brentwood Academy in the Nashville area, was first to complete the final sprint.
-TFP
Run till you get it right but the coach at Maryland is going to be fired for something similar.

Reactions: Volatility
Probably 3 years away from beating bama or ga and 10 wins. It Takes Talent. Just being realistic. 7-5, 8-4, 10-2. That's thru Orange glasses too. Could be though.
The way the schedule falls, we could have a real shot in his 2nd season. Very favorable schedule.

If ROCKER coaches half as good as he played.................. Holy Sh!t !! We're gonna be better than expected.

Minus the part where someone is pretty much having to carry a player because he's unresponsive, has a seizure and then waits an hour before seeking medical attention.

But yeah, "similar."
I mentioned that in the other thread, can’t believe they couldn’t recognize the symptoms of heat stroke and even worse was their response to it. Pure negligence

-TFP
Run till you get it right but the coach at Maryland is going to be fired for something similar.
Just a guess, but probably because a dude died. There is a difference between pushing a player to challenge their endurance and running a guy to death.

I mentioned that in the other thread, can’t believe they couldn’t recognize the symptoms of heat stroke and even worse was their response to it. Pure negligence

I can't remember if it were you that linked the article I read or not, but when he got to the hospital it said that his core temp was 106. That's after an hour. Unbelievable.

The way the schedule falls, we could have a real shot in his 2nd season. Very favorable schedule.
Georgia, Mississippi State, and South Carolina at home.
Florida and Bama on the road.
BYU and three cupcakes at Neyland.
Not a bad schedule at all for the SEC. Could definitely make some noise in 2019.

I can't remember if it were you that linked the article I read or not, but when he got to the hospital it said that his core temp was 106. That's after an hour. Unbelievable.
Maryland the coach was just following the footpath of the greatest coach in history as immortalized in "Junction Boys". Sweat doesn't do much good in the southeast. With heat stroke you get into a runaway situation and about the only effective first aid is to dunk them in ice water

Last edited:

VN Store

Back