Returning SEC QBs and their comp%

KBVol

Not many topics on here elicit more vociferous debate than those about Tennessee quarterbacks, past, present and future.

So here you go.....according to Pro Football Focus, there is something called “Adjusted Completion Percentage”. It is defined as a QB’s completion percentage after accounting for dropped passes, throwaways spiked balls, batted passes and passes thrown as the quarterback was hit.

Here are the top 5 returning QBs in the SEC this year and their respective Adjusted Completion Percentages....

1. J. La’Amu (Ole Miss) 76.8%
2. J. Hurts (Alabama) 76.2%
3. J. Stidham (Auburn) 75.3%
4. J. Guarantano (UT) 73.6%
5. J. Fromm (UGA) 72.6%

Aside from noticing that evidently all SEC QBs’ first names appear to begin with the letter “J”, I thought it interesting to see that Guarantano, who at least half VN thinks is horrible and will be easily beaten out by Keller Chryst this summer, is just behind Stidham and just ahead of Fromm on this list.

Discuss....

Reactions: 6 people
Not many topics on here elicit more vociferous debate than those about Tennessee quarterbacks, past, present and future.

So here you go.....according to Pro Football Focus, there is something called “Adjusted Completion Percentage”. It is defined as a QB’s completion percentage after accounting for dropped passes, throwaways spiked balls, batted passes and passes thrown as the quarterback was hit.

Here are the top 5 returning QBs in the SEC this year and their respective Adjusted Completion Percentages....

5. J. Fromm (UGA) 72.6%

Aside from noticing that evidently all SEC QBs’ first names appear to begin with the letter “J”, I thought it interesting to see that Guarantano, who at least half VN thinks is horrible and will be easily beaten out by Keller Chryst this summer, is just behind Stidham and just ahead of Fromm on this list.

Discuss....

How does the ranking change when all those things that are part of a normal football game receive consideration?

Reactions: 2 people

5. J. Fromm (UGA) 72.6%

Discuss....

3/4 we play this year.

I think this means Jarrett needs to stop spiking it, throwing it away, getting hit while he throws, throwing the ball at defenders' raised hands, and throwing it to receivers who tend to drop passes that hit them in the hands.

Then he'll be excellent.

Reactions: 14 people
I think this means Jarrett needs to stop spiking it, throwing it away, getting hit while he throws, throwing the ball at defenders' raised hands, and throwing it to receivers who tend to drop passes that hit them in the hands.

Then he'll be excellent.

Well considering the coaching, or lack there of, that JG has had, our horrid OL and terrible WRs, its a wonder his stats are that good.

Reactions: 3 people
67% and over 9 ypa his last four starts. He got better as the year progressed. He needs to get rid of it faster but passed it much better than many give him credit for.

Reactions: 6 people
Well considering the coaching, or lack there of, that JG has had, our horrid OL and terrible WRs, its a wonder his stats are that good.

Exactly. That was the point.

This isn't all on Jarrett. Correcting all those missteps is a whole-offense thing. Coaches and players alike.

That was indeed the point.

Reactions: 1 person

5. J. Fromm (UGA) 72.6%

Discuss....

Does it count as a completion if it's completed to the defender?

5. J. Fromm (UGA) 72.6%

Discuss....

So after you take away his non counting passes for ACR, what did he end up with 20-30 passes on the season?

Wow. Look at JG's %'s. He must be awesome! That UT team probably lit up the scoreboards with that kind of offense last year!!

I apologize if not because I was living in an apparent alternate reality where UT's QB's were hot garbage, the offense couldn't score points in 4 straight games, and went 4-8..

JG finished 4th in the SEC last year at 73.6%

This percentage accounts for drops, throw aways, and spikes.

Basically he’s better than Jake Fromm

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/pro-football-focus-ranks-5-returning-sec-qbs-highest-adjusted-completion-percentages/amp/

Jarrett plays great until teams start dialing up pressure and he takes a few hits - he had trouble finishing strong in games.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi8wDcZWcv8[/youtube]

Jarrett plays great until teams start dialing up pressure and he takes a few hits - he had trouble finishing strong in games.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi8wDcZWcv8[/youtube]

Should’ve used past tense. He’s better. Gonna surprise a lot of people if Smith and Hall are healthy

How does the ranking change when all those things that are part of a normal football game receive consideration?

This list as determined by a “deeper level” analytic isn’t meant to be definitive but rather just another puzzle piece. It perhaps provides additional context for JG’s play last year, which we all agree wasn’t good enough at the end of the day. But perhaps it was better in spots than a lot of people seem to think?

As far as the question you asked regarding “normal football game consideration, there’s something else to notice about this list......Hurts and Fromm played on teams that were the 2 best teams in the country, that played in the national title game, were a combined 26-3. Stidham played on the SECw division champion team that won 10 games. Even Ja’amu played for a 6-6 Ole Miss team that won 3 SEC games. By contrast, JG played on the worst team in the SEC missing it’s top returning WR

As far as other more traditional statistics, it’s a mixed bag. JG had the lowest passer rating of the 5 on this list at about 129, but he had a higher completion % than Hurts but was essentially even with Fromm. JG’s yards per attempt was also relatively low compared to the others, but a lot of that was a function of the horizontal passing game offense he was in under an incompetent first time OC....and the lack of an OL and the stud WRs like Ridley and the kids at OleMiss.

So, in my mind, this PFF stat helps balance the comparisons a bit since JG was at a distinct disadvantage given the team around him, compared to Alabama, Georgia Auburn and even OleMiss.

Wow. Look at JG's %'s. He must be awesome! That UT team probably lit up the scoreboards with that kind of offense last year!!

I apologize if not because I was living in an apparent alternate reality where UT's QB's were hot garbage, the offense couldn't score points in 4 straight games, and went 4-8..

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 163

Then he'll be excellent.

Perhaps with better coaching, he’ll see the field better, know better where to go with the ball quicker, understand when it’s a good play just to throw the ball away......and, perhaps most importantly, maybe he won’t play behind easily the worst OL in the conference and possibly even the country....that would likely help his cause....it undoubtedly did for the other 4 guys on the list.

Does it count as a completion if it's completed to the defender?

Fortunately for Jarrett, that wasn’t and appears to still not be an issue for him. And I think it’s worth noting that ball security is high on JPs list per his own comments about qb play. It’s one of the primary reasons I feel confident that JG is our starter come September.

Fortunately for Jarrett, that wasn’t and appears to still not be an issue for him. And I think it’s worth noting that ball security is high on JPs list per his own comments about qb play. It’s one of the primary reasons I feel confident that JG is our starter come September.

Good point KB. On ball security, both interceptions-wise and holding-onto-the-ball-while-getting-knocked-silly-wise, you have to tick the plus column for JG and this is a quality Pruitt appreciates in JG, as well he should.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back