Regardless of your thoughts on Pruitt, this is pretty impressive

Maybe I'm dumbing this up, but it wouldn't be 6 attempts because he has not played 6 ranked opponents away as HC?

If you want to look at it in the lens of opportunities as you suggest, Pruitt won on the road against a ranked opponent in his second attempt (the first was Georgia, WVA was neutral). That hasn't been quantified for the other coaches to my knowledge, but almost certainly wouldn't be beat.

Still a nice, much needed win over Auburn but anything would look good compared to what we had under Jones with his record against ranked opponents and home/road splits.

Larry Coker won his first road game against a ranked team, also his first game against a ranked team at any location. I wonder if there has ever been a coach with a better first year than LC?

Thought this might be of some interest to Vol fans.
Here is the full list of how many attempts it took each current SEC coach to win a road game against a ranked opponent, courtesy of Tennessee Football on Twitter:

Jeremy Pruitt — 6
Jimbo Fisher — 6
Matt Luke — 12
Kirby Smart — 15
Will Muschamp — 15
Dan Mullen — 19
Gus Malzahn — 20
Nick Saban — 44
Mark Stoops — 48
Ed Orgeron — 48
Joe Moorhead — n/a
Barry Odom — n/a
Chad Morris — n/a
Derek Mason — n/a

The Vols will look to build momentum following the big win when they host No. 1 Alabama on Saturday.

Larry Coker won his first road game against a ranked team, also his first game against a ranked team at any location. I wonder if there has ever been a coach with a better first year than LC?

Given what he inherited, one of the most loaded college football teams of all time, likely not.

No idea what kind of predictor it is, but any win over an SEC team at this point is progress. If we can get 2 SEC wins I'll consider this an adequate coaching job in year one by Pruitt. I'd prefer 6 wins but after the start of the season it looked like a 3 win disaster was most likely. Still may only get to 4 wins, but I can see a path to 7-8 if we win all the 50/50 games remaining. 3-4 wins = disaster. 5-6 = adequate. 7+ = big success imo.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
No idea what kind of predictor it is, but any win over an SEC team at this point is progress. If we can get 2 SEC wins I'll consider this an adequate coaching job in year one by Pruitt. I'd prefer 6 wins but after the start of the season it looked like a 3 win disaster was most likely. Still may only get to 4 wins, but I can see a path to 7-8 if we win all the 50/50 games remaining. 3-4 wins = disaster. 5-6 = adequate. 7+ = big success imo.
Wouldn't say disaster, but not a good look.

If you want to look at it in the lens of opportunities as you suggest, Pruitt won on the road against a ranked opponent in his second attempt (the first was Georgia, WVA was neutral). That hasn't been quantified for the other coaches to my knowledge, but almost certainly wouldn't be beat.

I wasn't suggesting, that is how the stat was presented......as attempts. Either way cool! Meaningless, but cool!

This sounds like something Butch Jones would have said. I don't think it is meaningless, but at the same time It is not terribly meaningful either. You have to have opportunities to play ranked opponents on the road to even have a chance to fulfill the obligation of the stat. I do think CJP is a good coach. The improvement of the team since the start of the season and this stat also helps me to form that opinion.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back