'18 Recruiting Forum: Official West Virginia Pre-Game/Game Thread

tenor.gif
Unlike Nick for this season

the match up this game that i think we have the most liklihood of taking advantage of and winning is in the run game. our O line out mans their front 7 by several hundred pounds. throw in a DWA at TE, we should be able to run the ball. and rotate backs all game long.

so play a little keep away, wear down their defense and take shots when they present.

defensively, i'm not sure how mch we're ll actuallly sack grier. they tend to get the ball out pretty fast. it's not like he's standing back there for 5 seconds diagnosing...lol. quick reads. so how can you disrupt that even if you don't get to Grier? Jam the WR? more blitzing? dunno. but if they can "affect" the qb, that's gonna be key.

we aren't going to stop them from scoring. we just can't let them have the ball 6,7, 8 times in the game. limit their possessions so everytime they touch the ball the pressure is on to score. that may be our best defesne.

Just throwing this out there:

The coaching staff feels very confident about this game. They believe they know Holgerson’s system from previous matchups at other schools and they believe our team will prove to be much more physical than WVU.

Doesn’t mean we win but I think UT +9.5/10.5 (depending upon what you can get) seems like a fair bet.

Just throwing this out there:

The coaching staff feels very confident about this game. They believe they know Holgerson’s system from previous matchups at other schools and they believe our team will prove to be much more physical than WVU.

Doesn’t mean we win but I think UT +9.5/10.5 (depending upon what you can get) seems like a fair bet.
Yeah, I think we play well but Grier picks us apart with quick passes and completes nearly 70% of his passes. The defense just won’t have time to get to him and his receivers are very good

Chandler, London, Jordan, Banks and Coleman at RB. Blakely and Pope at Fullback/H-back. DWA and Wolf at TE. Fant moving around. That’s a lot of power running at WVU’s weak D, again and again and again. We’re going to play smashmouth football, expose their suspect run defense and test their inexperienced corners by occasionally throwing it over the top. When we need explosive plays, Callaway and Jennings are going to make them. We’re going to wear WVU down, capitalize on their lack of depth and size, and pressure Grier to disrupt their offense and create costly turnovers. We’re a more physical team, and 60 minutes is a long time to be outpowered by a bigger, stronger team determined to beat you. That's how I think we're going to beat WVU and get our season started right.

Chandler, London, Jordan, Banks and Coleman at RB. Blakely and Pope at Fullback/H-back. DWA and Wolf at TE. Fant moving around. That’s a lot of power running at WVU’s weak D, again and again and again. We’re going to play smashmouth football, expose their suspect run defense and test their inexperienced corners by occasionally throwing it over the top. When we need explosive plays, Callaway and Jennings are going to make them. We’re going to wear WVU down, capitalize on their lack of depth and size, and pressure Grier to disrupt their offense and create costly turnovers. We’re a more physical team, and 60 minutes is a long time to be outpowered by a bigger, stronger team determined to beat you. That's how I think we're going to beat WVU and get our season started right.
Fine, have it your way

This is a recipe to keep Grier on the sidelines and keep him from getting into a rhythm .

giphy (12).gif

I thought your analysis was excellent. I just think we have to win this one, and I think we'll want it more. JMO.
I think you have the strategy right. It’s just a matter of who executes the most. New staff jitters has me a little nervous too

Exactly how I see the game playing out. I don't think we see any offensive flair until the FL game.

VOLS 41 - 38 in double overtime. Tied 28 all at the end of the game. Both teams score TDs in first OT. VOLS hold WVU to a FG then march down to score a TD (on third and short) in 2OT. Start of a new era. Teams may score more points than the VOLS but they better be ready for a 60 minute physical game. (that is my story and I am sticking to it)

Obviously I don’t like the score prediction, but great job nick! Well done.

WVU passing attack scares the heck out of me but they are one dimensional. Pruitt will know how to stop WVU, but will the defense be able to carry out their assignments without mistake? Doubtful. I expect some mistakes, but still..

UT-34
WVU-31

I think you have the strategy right. It’s just a matter of who executes the most. New staff jitters has me a little nervous too

I think it's a want-to game. We know what we're going to do and the coaches don't think their guys can stop us. If the players buy into that 100% and keep punching, it's one result; if they start to doubt and let up, it's another. IDT anyone knows how mentally tough this team is, or can be, yet.

Reactions: nesbuddha66

VN Store

Back