'18 Recruiting Forum: Official UTEP Pre-Game/Game Thread

Just got back from the game and just some observations from what I saw. Putting it simply, I was disappointed in the sloppy play of the O and the mistakes that to me shouldn't be happening in your third game. The O just killed drive after drive with stupid mistakes. Callaway fumbles punt, fumble on two yard line, holding at the goalline, false starts, ruffing the passer when there was no need to just to name what I can remember. I found myself so frustrated watching the O struggling against the UTEP defense. Positives, Chandler !! Chandler!! Chandler!!. JG did make some good deep throws and our WR's made some good catches. I am a sunshine pumper but I really don't have much confidence that our O is going to be able to do much against the next 5 SEC opponents. Our D looked really good today but not sure why Thompson didn't play if anyone has any info on that would like to know please. Again just my observations.

Good posts right here and exactly how I feel.

Surprised at the negativity right now, but this is VolNation. If you just look at the score sure. But we had a TD taken off the board on the Banks “fumble” and another TD wiped away on a penalty that had zero effect on the play (still can’t happen). Had 345 yards rushing and out gained them 512 to 134, simply put we dominated them. Few thoughts on individual player.
JG > KC, JG shouldn’t come out of the game unless injury or equipment issues.
Ty Chandler is our best back and it’s pretty obvious, has that burst the others don’t.
Dline as a whole looked good, Paul Bain was making plays!!!

Saw all this as well and was a fairly boring game.

I've been attacked for some of the very same stuff Pruitt said in his post game, on the field interview. It's happened today when someone said it was utep, diminishing the result.

Would not put you in the same attack zone as chief but you might be inching toward there. He is liking a lot of your post. Keep defending the self professed troll.

Reactions: LaagerVol
Pruitt actually has some positives he points out and is not 11 years old.
He does but he seems much less satisfied than some here that point out a negative or two.

I still contend that if he said those things on here as an anonymous poster, he'd be taken to task. That's JMO.

When did I say that was my opinion? And that was one play. It’s ok to question some of the play calling without being accused of having a peewee football mind. Just didn’t think that was a cool comment on your part.

It was about the complaints I saw whomever it was (think it was Bass ) how it was a horrible call. That one wasn’t if you know football. Now, you have some others you could actually complain about. But, if you want to die in the hill of the 3rd and 27 then do. If you want to complain about what we did at the end of the half with playcalls then I agree. Goes back that some want to jump in and always be negative as soon as some adversity hits. You don’t do that but I bet you can figure who did.

I stand by the statement when guys were posting how horrible the third and 27 call was. They could not have played more than middle school or on the bench in high school. Or maybe they did play but it was on the DL. Some of those guys are ... oh well.

He does but he seems much less satisfied than some here that point out a negative or two.

I still contend that if he said those things on here as an anonymous poster, he'd be taken to task. That's JMO.

Look, if we played like what I saw today next week, we lose. And I have been saying Florida sucks for months and still believe they do. We have to play better.

Would not put you in the same attack zone as chief but you might be inching toward there. He is liking a lot of your post. Keep defending the self professed troll.
I never said this was about a cheif. I just used him as an example. Not my place to defend him or anyone else on here. You know where I stand here. I'm in a wait and see mode on Pruitt as I would be with most coaches that would have been hired here. Thank the last 10 years of ineptitude by the UT administration for that.

He's done nothing to this point to make me doubt he's up to the task. On the other hand he's done nothing to make me think he's a championship level coach either. If we take care of business next week, he gets me a little more excited.

I like the head coach never being satisfied.

Fans that can't see the positive in anything and whine every time there's a negative play are just irritating imo.

I never said this was about a cheif. I just used him as an example. Not my place to defend him or anyone else on here. You know where I stand here. I'm in a wait and see mode on Pruitt as I would be with most coaches that would have been hired here. Thank the last 10 years of ineptitude by the UT administration for that.

He's done nothing to this point to make me doubt he's up to the task. On the other hand he's done nothing to make me think he's a championship level coach either. If we take care of business next week, he gets me a little more excited.

I like what I have seen defensively since week one but still in wait and see mode. Being at games and close to sideline, they are coaching and have players respect for the most part. Next week is big. I see many good things with Pruitt and the D and think he is a championship level coach defensively. But Helton and the O have me scared to death. Don’t know about him but he is better than Scott. Still two recruiting classes and another off season of S and C at a minimum before we will know the verdict.

Made no real effort to score on the final drive, but could've easily. Left one score on the 1. Turned a touchdown into a field goal on a needless penalty. With virtually no difference in play, the score could have been 42-0. Would that make y'all less unhappy?

I'm not suggesting that we're ready for SEC play, but this game tells you nothing. I'm sure the coaches were still turning knobs and reading gauges in what was effectively another scrimmage.

In other news, the defense pitched a shutout. Thinking back to the last time we made big changes to the defense, that should be getting more attention. Before you explain to me that it was UTEP, remember that Sal's defense gave up like 1000 yards to similar nobodies.

It was about the complaints I saw whomever it was (think it was Bass ) how it was a horrible call. That one wasn’t if you know football. Now, you have some others you could actually complain about. But, if you want to die in the hill of the 3rd and 27 then do. If you want to complain about what we did at the end of the half with playcalls then I agree. Goes back that some want to jump in and always be negative as soon as some adversity hits. You don’t do that but I bet you can figure who did.

I stand by the statement when guys were posting how horrible the third and 27 call was. They could not have played more than middle school or on the bench in high school. Or maybe they did play but it was on the DL. Some of those guys are ... oh well.
Agree there isn’t much you can do on 3rd and 27 besides throw up a prayer or play for an easier FG. Also it wasn’t critical to get a TD there in this game or they may have been more aggressive.

I didn’t get to see much of the game but noticed Richmond playing poorly in the first half and still in the game at the end. Any ideas on the coaches’ rationale for keeping him in? Trying to get him going? Have no other options?

Richmond had the chop block penalty, two holding penalties (one declined), and a false start. Is there no one else? :mad:

He also calls them out when they don't perform. He seldom publicly praises them.

What he does behind the scenes is more important than what he does at the podium. Pruitt has a line a mile long of former players that can't say enough good things about him as a coach and a father figure. We (the fans) are not going to be privy to the inner workings and dealings of the team under CJP. He seems to like to keep things in the family and only give out what he absolutely has to in order to keep the press and us from completely revolting.

If he came out talking sunshine and daisies, the BVS/Realist/NegaVol crowd would be crucifying him for being a sunshine pumping blind man. Pruitt knows he can't make every corner of the fan base happy, so he doesn't try. He just says what he is thinking and goes back to coaching football.

Shutouts are nice and all. No excuse for 24 points on UTEP unless you are just deliberately falling down all day...I know I know...512 and 345 blah blah blah blah...

You are such an unhappy person. They chose not to pile on a score in the closing minute because 1) it didn't change the outcome, and 2) clearly Pruitt is a decent human. The mistakes that cost us 11 more points were a freshman and a 5* that most of y'all think we can't win without. Just for once make half an effort to see the bigger picture...the score was 24-0, but the effort was 42-0.

You are such an unhappy person. They chose not to pile on a score in the closing minute because 1) it didn't change the outcome, and 2) clearly Pruitt is a decent human. The mistakes that cost us 11 more points were a freshman and a 5* that most of y'all think we can't win without. Just for once make half an effort to see the bigger picture...the score was 24-0, but the effort was 42-0.

Calloway seems to play very tight on punts. He doesn't field about half of them and calls for fair catches on the majority of the others. I can only remember him returning a couple all year. If he is worried about messing up back there then CJP needs to put somebody else back there. I remember when we needed a spark in recent years, it would often come from one of our returners making something happen. Many people under value the momentum that we can gain from a ST play. I think our offense needed some sparks yesterday because they were making too many mistakes and just needed to loosen up and play ball.

Calloway seems to play very tight on punts. He doesn't field about half of them and calls for fair catches on the majority of the others. I can only remember him returning a couple all year. If he is worried about messing up back there then CJP needs to put somebody else back there. I remember when we needed a spark in recent years, it would often come from one of our returners making something happen. Many people under value the momentum that we can gain from a ST play. I think our offense needed some sparks yesterday because they were making too many mistakes and just needed to loosen up and play ball.
I watched on TV and they were commenting on the strong winds. I thought the one he muffed was due to the wind.

Reactions: eroller1141@gmail

VN Store

Back