Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banks is just as talented, if not more talented, than any RB we have on the roster. Well, I guess I should just say that he's every bit as talented, if not more talented, than Ty Chandler. Obviously, he needs to work on ball security, but IMO, he needs to stay at RB. We don't have the depth there to make changes like that, and we don't have a RB of equal or better talent in the recruiting class. Eric Gray would help, but I still don't think that justifies moving Banks.

According to PFF, Chryst had a higher grade than Tua, which baffles me. Also, according to PFF, Chryst had the second highest grade for the game from both teams, only behind Quinnen Williams of UA.

If there was any doubt before this should finally help people realize PFF should be taken with a grain of salt.

Banks is just as talented, if not more talented, than any RB we have on the roster. Well, I guess I should just say that he's every bit as talented, if not more talented, than Ty Chandler. Obviously, he needs to work on ball security, but IMO, he needs to stay at RB. We don't have the depth there to make changes like that, and we don't have a RB of equal or better talent in the recruiting class. Eric Gray would help, but I still don't think that justifies moving Banks.

Agree we can fix those butterfingers

He can't play RB if he continues to fumble. And that's clearly an issue he hasn't fixed. If he can fix it, great. If not, let's try him at LB makes sense to me.

I have modest expectations for this class, honestly. Top 15ish when the dust settles. We’re in a longer rebuild process once again, and my suspicion is that it may be harder for Pruitt to sell the truly elite kids on that than it was for Butch or Dooley. We’ve been down so long I think recruits (and fans, honestly) doubt whether we are truly an elite program anymore. I think that’s why Pruitt has made statements about UT being elite a week or two ago. He’s trying to sell it but when Bama rolls through and beats you by 5 TDs every time you play them it’s hard not to trust what your eyes are telling you about who is elite and who is not.

Time will tell but our slow recruiting at this point isn’t surprising.
Yeah. When I look at who is ahead of us, I don't see us jumping up without a couple more 5* and/or several very high 4*. When I look at who is behind us, I am almost certain we will be leaped by PSU, ND, FSU, AU, UF, USC and OSU, which would land us at about 18. There is a whole tier behind that group that could jump us with a few good signings in light of the space they have (Miami, U-dub, sCar, Nebraska, etc.). And this is assuming we don't lose any of our higher rated commits. It feels like any chance of this staff succeeding here depends on how they finish this season and the 2019 class. We really need to win this week.

Reactions: DD4ME

So, hot take here regarding VQ... what if they actually watch a lot of football without knowing jacks@#$ about football? Their preseason assessments of the roster were laughably bad, they only get to watch a few minutes of practice, they watch the same games that we do, and we probably get as many people posting info on here as they do from their sources.

What if one of them came up with the idea that Banks should be a lb, and they've just convinced themselves that's what Pruitt is going to do because they've all decided now that it's so obvious.

I appreciate what they do and everything, but I've seen enough of both of the VQ and 24/7 guys to say that I think we should be more than a little skeptical of some of their assessments.

Gray is a speed back like Chandler. Banks and Jordan are power runners. To run the offense Pruitt wants, we need to keep Banks at tailback and bring in another speedster like Gray, who can make plays in space. With London moving on, we could use another power back, too... but we have more needs than spots.

Gray is a speed back like Chandler. Banks and Jordan are power runners. To run the offense Pruitt wants, we need to keep Banks at tailback and bring in another speedster like Gray, who can make plays in space. With London moving on, we could use another power back, too... but we have more needs than spots.
Agree, but Gray is stronger/powerful than most think.

That’s interesting for sure. I have no reason to doubt you on the money aspect - in fact, I haven’t heard anything to the contrary. Fulmer and Pruitt have had some minor squabbles from what I’ve been told but all those things get quickly resolved. Two alpha males butting heads - not an issue.

But it’s funny - everyone here knows I’m a big Jeff Brohm fan - and after their big win on Saturday I decided to ask some people about what happened with him and UT. I was told that at the last minute Tennessee asked him to pay a large portion of his Purdue buyout on his own. We had a deal in place and then someone balked on spending the money for a 6-6 Purdue coach.

Just goes to show the penny pinching mentally that once was there that hopefully Pruitt and Fulmer are changing.

Anyone that's really paid attention to the program knows that the program'd descent into mediocrity began from the inside. When I was on the Hill it was the Linda Bensyl-Meyers of the administration, and others of her ilk, that had some serious disdain and animosity towards the Athletic Department, specifically football, for whatever reason...

When Fulmer was in power (and winning) he had enough influence and power to prevent the academians and the power-hungry boosters from reeking havoc on the program. When he began to struggle on the field, they began their assault. The Haslam's were just part of the problem.

Thankfully, this past offseason was a sort of reVOLution for the program. The Haslam's and their cronies, among others, have been dispatched. I just hope that Fulmer and JP can get this thing rolling because, if not, I'm afraid of the a**holes who lost out regaining their influence.

There's hope...JP is as good an X's and O's coach and recruiter there is and Fulmer is heavily invested, personally and professionally, in his success. JP will be given everything he needs to succeed.

Yeah. When I look at who is ahead of us, I don't see us jumping up without a couple more 5* and/or several very high 4*. When I look at who is behind us, I am almost certain we will be leaped by PSU, ND, FSU, AU, UF, USC and OSU, which would land us at about 18. There is a whole tier behind that group that could jump us with a few good signings in light of the space they have (Miami, U-dub, sCar, Nebraska, etc.). And this is assuming we don't lose any of our higher rated commits. It feels like any chance of this staff succeeding here depends on how they finish this season and the 2019 class. We really need to win this week.

That’s no bueno. 😕

VQ guys are more often wrong than right when it comes down to the actual football being played and coaching decisions being made. Those guys don’t know more than anyone on this board. They’re good for recruiting and that’s it.
Price wouldn't have said what he said unless he was told that info from inside the program. He wasn't sharing his opinion on what he would do. Guess we'll see

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back