Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for a point of reference, what was Butch's buyout? We had just extended him after 2015 iirc, but I don't remember how long for.
his buy out was, what, $12M? no lump sum iirc, he's getting it in installments i think.

we're the closest thing to the debacle that Auburn could be heading toward. but if they do fire Gus this year, it will be hte largest buy out every paid, and if i heard what i thought i heard yesterday, every dime of his buyout is guaranteed.

firing Gus would be unprecedented, given the financial impact it would have.

Reactions: ChismsHeadband
None of those teams were even close to being in the discussion as the best CFB teams ever put on the field..Alabama is this year...that is the difference.
The top team isn't the only one that matters, the lower team does too. Alabama is the best team but Tennessee is absolutely not the worst. One SEC team beating another will never, ever rank over say itf like...ETSU rolled in here and beat Alabama. Its a super obvious difference in skill gap between us and ETSU.

Reactions: UTProf
95 Neroidska

& Yes us beating Bama this year would put it in the pantheon of greatest wins discussed amongst TN upsets. Forget what it means to a season and look at what it would mean to a program and a new coach.

85 Sugarvols - Auburn & Miami
Here
91 ND
01 UF
Or here at worst

Small odds we need to debate it after Saturday but arguing it's significance now just might be sillier.
No doubt it would be one of the biggest upsets in program history.

Still crazy to me that we were 20+ dogs in that ‘01 Florida game.

his buy out was, what, $12M? no lump sum iirc, he's getting it in installments i think.

we're the closest thing to the debacle that Auburn could be heading toward. but if they do fire Gus this year, it will be hte largest buy out every paid, and if i heard what i thought i heard yesterday, every dime of his buyout is guaranteed.

firing Gus would be unprecedented, given the financial impact it would have.

Woof. $12M was huge also given that we had just come off of paying the rest of Fulmer's and Dooley's buyouts too (DD maybe not so much as he found employment, but I'm not sure if that was part of the agreement)

How long are we on the hook for Lyle?

Woof. $12M was huge also given that we had just come off of paying the rest of Fulmer's and Dooley's buyouts too (DD maybe not so much as he found employment, but I'm not sure if that was part of the agreement)

How long are we on the hook for Lyle?
don't remember. but there's a reason he could take a $35k/year job and not have to sell that Benz.......................................lol

Reactions: ChismsHeadband
no, there's not. but there are a couple guys that i think we'd have a good shot with, and they just so happen to also be guys that we still have good relationships with, and would stand a good chance to get.

i think about some of the guys that were comitted here last year, and left the class b/c of the turmoil....Jaycee horn has had a very productive year for USCe, Terry Dean has been a fairly significant contributor for FL....Cade Mays has been productive for UGA....

we wouldn't have to get that many for it to maybe make a difference. i mean, if it swayed OP our way, i'd be fine with Auburn falling off the cliff this year. and if it opens the door a little wider for a Puckett or Pickens too.....yeah, i'll help push them off. lol.

If you're talking about having a better chance with one or two recruits with mutual interest, there's a chance it helps enough to pull one over, but it's still not a guarantee.

If Auburn goes on to so well, you can sell that nationwide. Even that might not make much of a difference in the class.

I'm really not sure which way benefits Tennessee the most. I'm just looking at other angles. Known unknowns.

Reactions: jakez4ut
If you're talking about having a better chance with one or two recruits with mutual interest, there's a chance it helps enough to pull one over, but it's still not a guarantee.

If Auburn goes on to so well, you can sell that nationwide. Even that might not make much of a difference in the class.

I'm really not sure which way benefits Tennessee the most. I'm just looking at other angles. Known unknowns.
yeah, i don't think there's a formula to it, few absolutes. and i'd wager we're probably doing more about what TN has to offer, than what some other school doesn't anyway.

Reactions: WriterVol
1979 vs Notre Dame coming out of the doldrums of Battle allowing the program's demise and Majors rebuilding it. Someone posted a pic of an art print from that game in the ff recently.

Just based off how these games go after a big win, there’s usually an equaling out. Probably get drummed this weekend but we are really improving like crazy on defense. Still think Helton is a terrible play caller but the passing game has really flashed this year. He and Williams have done a good job there.

I think we're on the razor's edge. Beating AU got us even after what we'd hoped would be a toss up win against UF. Getting to 6-6 seems more doable than it did a week ago. Still a tough road ahead. Unless we get a miracle upset, nothing will be decided this weekend.

I think we're on the razor's edge. Beating AU got us even after what we'd hoped would be a toss up win against UF. Getting to 6-6 seems more doable than it did a week ago. Still a tough road ahead. Unless we get a miracle upset, nothing will be decided this weekend.
yeah, agreed. just get thru this weekend healthy, and go make a run in November. see what happens.

dare i say, beating KY would also be a nice feather in our cap this season?

Reactions: drvenner
Don't know how much of a factor this might be, but this is game #8 in a row for Bama with an open week following. History has shown time and time again that these are the games that teams...even good teams...stumble on.

I realize it's Bama and Saban, so it might not help a whole lot...but I guarantee you, it sure won't hurt.

Don't know how much of a factor this might be, but this is game #8 in a row for Bama with an open week following. History has shown time and time again that these are the games that teams...even good teams...stumble on.

I realize it's Bama and Saban, so it might not help a whole lot...but I guarantee you, it sure won't hurt.
We damn near beat them 3 years ago in that exact scenario iirc.

Just based off how these games go after a big win, there’s usually an equaling out. Probably get drummed this weekend but we are really improving like crazy on defense. Still think Helton is a terrible play caller but the passing game has really flashed this year. He and Williams have done a good job there.
Like you I'm very concerned about the play calling but I don't know who is to blame. Running the ball on 1st and second down every series is not something that he's ever done before. At USC and WKU they threw the ball all over the field. So I really don't know what to think here. Some have said that this is set plane to establish what they want to do so that, even though it isn't working right now, they are instilling that physical culture that will be important for next year. I don't know. But if we want to go bowling, we cannot be so predictable on first and second down and rely on 3rd and 8 completions every series. That won't work. I'm still concerned about the play calling, but it was better Saturday than it has been all year so maybe they're figuring something out over there. One thing is for sure, if Helton turns out to be a not so great play caller, he is a dang good QB coach. He has worked wonders with JG this season.

Reactions: IH8TheHaslams
just get thru this weekend healthy

This is the biggest thing. Gotta play hard and not mail it in, but absolutely HAVE to be healthy moving into November.

And time will tell on Kentucky.. I think they're better than previous 5-1 iterations, but I think they trail off some into a respectable 8-4 or 9-3 record. Before the season started, they probably thought their toughest stretch was State/Carolina/at A&M, but they've got an equally tough stretch of at Mizzou/Georgia/at Tennessee to worry about. It would be a good win for us if they don't crap the bed.

aside from this tua feaux injury story, i think they're pretty healthy, even after playing that many games in a row, so i don't see it as being an issue. they've been able to take 4th qtrs off basically, and play younger guys. if anything, they've developed the younger guys, and are probably deeper now than they were than at the beginning of the season.

ugh.

Reactions: volsagain
Exactly. If Auburn were to fire him, they have one chance to hire a sure-fire coach. Otherwise they are set for at least a decade of mediocrity due to being out so much money. That can’t be sustained as we can attest to.
They would for sure have a coach all but agreeing to coach prior to any Gus firing over that kinda money. I think they'll hang on to him at least one more year.

Like you I'm very concerned about the play calling but I don't know who is to blame. Running the ball on 1st and second down every series is not something that he's ever done before. At USC and WKU they threw the ball all over the field. So I really don't know what to think here. Some have said that this is set plane to establish what they want to do so that, even though it isn't working right now, they are instilling that physical culture that will be important for next year. I don't know. But if we want to go bowling, we cannot be so predictable on first and second down and rely on 3rd and 8 completions every series. That won't work. I'm still concerned about the play calling, but it was better Saturday than it has been all year so maybe they're figuring something out over there. One thing is for sure, if Helton turns out to be a not so great play caller, he is a dang good QB coach. He has worked wonders with JG this season.
yep. there's a decision one has to make as to what you believe about the play calling. agreed.

the only thing i'd say about the play calling from this past weekend was that there were two situatons that did concern me...the play calling after the Kongbo int, and the play calling in goal to goal situation after 84's big catch inside the 10.

i got frustrated with all the early down runs that went nowhere too. but those two situations, specifically, were the type of possessions that could have put the game away for us, and we failed to capitalize. we left 11 points on the field in both of those possessions imo.

as for the 3rd and 8+ conversions....yeah, you can't make a living doing that. defnese will take that jump ball opportunity away if htat's the only trick in the bag.

bottom line, we simply have to figure out how to be more effective on 1st and 2nd down. period.

aside from this tua feaux injury story, i think they're pretty healthy, even after playing that many games in a row, so i don't see it as being an issue. they've been able to take 4th qtrs off basically, and play younger guys. if anything, they've developed the younger guys, and are probably deeper now than they were than at the beginning of the season.

ugh.
It's not just the physical side of the equation with an 8-game stretch, it's the mental and emotional side as well. Remember, these are teenagers for the most part and asking them to get up mentally for 8 straight weeks is a challenge.

Heck, one can make a good argument the mental/emotional challenge may be greater than the physical side of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back