Randy Smith: An Open Letter to Butch Jones

I still say it's possible that Butch took the job saban offered so he could learn from the best.

Maybe there is no ill will in his decision? Maybe he wants to observe saban and his approach to the profession before trying again?
Just let me have this. He's doing it out of spite! Lol.

A few posters griping REPEATEDLY because they don't like someone writing their opinion.

And in a complete lack of self awareness, accusing the author of being the crybaby.šŸ˜Œ

He did not post it here. Someone else did.
Try again.

I find that I have no ill will towards Butch Jones.

The man tried, failed according to the standards of UT powers at be, and was removed. Butch proceeded to move on with his career.

Now, let's watch intently and see if our current staff can get our offense effective enough to beat SC. Since offense is well understood to be our current teams biggest struggle.

I find that I have no ill will towards Butch Jones.

The man tried, failed according to the standards of UT powers at be, and was removed. Butch proceeded to move on with his career.

Now, let's watch intently and see if our current staff can get our offense effective enough to beat SC. Since offense is well understood to be our current teams biggest struggle.
Thatā€™s pretty much where I am as well. Itā€™s a business and we replaced the CEO because the company was failing and our ā€œcompetitionā€ (not lately) hired our former disgraced CEO to work in the mailroom. The more fuss we make about this the longer we wallow in the mud. As the ole saying goes ā€œwhen you wrestle with a pig you both get muddy but the pig doesnā€™t mindā€. Please can we somehow, someway, for the kids sake, just move on?

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
All that open letter does is portray us as perpetual whiners, numbskull nitwits, utterly unable to move on from Kiffin, Butch or anything else. It's just fodder for everyone to just shake their heads in either disgust or pity at the UT. Elsa, PLEASE sing louder, they still can't hear you.

Last edited:
Reactions: vavolfan6
I really would have hoped that when somebody asked for the picture he have sheepishly said "let's don't do that. It's too soon." But whatever floats his boat. I'm sure he feels like he somehow deserved more time.
That would have been the class move.

People are making too much out of this. Butch would have been fine taking some time off, living in staying in Knoxville volunteer coaching HS football at Catholic. (In fact, I'm pretty sure his son is still attending school and playing football there anyways)

It was a bitter end for him and I believe he truly gave his all and worked extremely hard as the head coach here. It just didn't work out and for that it was necessary to part ways. No hard feelings. Best of luck to him. I'm sure he will get another opportunity in a few years from now.

I think we all know how contracts work. And he took an internship so there's basically no offset in salary there, which seems like such a Butch thing to do.
Sorta like after the loss to Vandy in 2016, where he sent Dobbs out to handle the post game presser, after which he went off the radar for 3 weeks, then reports surfaced that the Purdue people had told him thanks but no thanks in him wanting the Purdue job.....as his agent had been ā€œtesting the watersā€ for him.

Every time I see Randy Smith's name, I think about the PPV game where he did commentary and kept referring to us making a 16 yard FG.... which is mathematically impossible.
It certainly is mathematically possible. You can drop kick the ball through the uprights for three points from anywhere on the field. So an 11 yard field goal is possible. Plus there is no rule that says you have to place the ball 7 yards from the line of scrimmage as is customary. You could certainly go back only 5 yards. That would be a 16 yard field goal from the 1.

Reactions: Alto1 and Boogie
It certainly is mathematically possible. You can drop kick the ball through the uprights for three points from anywhere on the field. So an 11 yard field goal is possible. Plus there is no rule that says you have to place the ball 7 yards from the line of scrimmage as is customary. You could certainly go back only 5 yards. That would be a 16 yard field goal from the 1.
Randy? Lol

I understand. But when they sit a kick at the 16, most people who have ever seen a football game know not to call it a 16 yard FG.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boogie
Randy Smith
I hope you enjoyed your post game victory cigar at Neyland Stadium on Saturday. I'm sure there are several boxes of 'Stogies" hidden deep in the confines of Neyland that haven't been used at all in the past twelve years; the last five attributed to your tenure as Tennessee's head coach. I guess the slogan, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." certainly fits. I also applaud the gesture that Alabama Coach Nick Saban gave when he hired you as a "special analyst" and handed you a salary of $30,000 a year. I hope that you will do the right thing and donate that $30,000 to the charity of your choice since you are still getting paid millions of dollars by the University of Tennessee to -not- be the head coach of the Volunteers.

That gloating smirk on your face with the stub of what was left of your cigar really told the story of how you feel about your time in the Volunteer state.

So, I think it's only fair to relay the feelings of thousands of Tennessee fans this morning about how they feel about your little celebration. Our program is in the worst shape it has ever been in thanks in large part to you. That 4-8 season in 2017 was the worst season in school history and I'm sure that 0-8 SEC record is a defining moment in your career. Now that you're a part of the Crimson Tide staff, you can look back with pride and say, "Look what I did my last year in Knoxville. I brought that once proud Tennessee program to its knees before I left with a multi-million dollar payout."

All the credit for the Vols' demise can't really be credited to you though Butch. Lane Kiffin had a hand in it and so did three years under Derek Dooley. But your fingerprints all all over the last five out of nine years of less than mediocre football in Knoxville. I do have to hand it to you though. You did bring in some really good recruiting classes, but something happened to those four and five star athletes you signed. Some never made the field while others never developed as outstanding college players after stellar high school careers. I guess player development just isn't one of your strong points.

You did leave us with some really clever cliches though. The "Champions of Life" declaration was perhaps the best, and I also liked the "Brick by Brick" slogan you came up with in your first year. And that "Five star Hearts" slogan was a classic. I wonder what you may have in store for Alabama now that your a valuable member of Saban's staff. I can't wait to find out.

Once again congratulations on that 58-20 win on Saturday. I'm sure your are so proud of your accomplishment. To be able to stand in that visiting locker room and smoke that victory cigar must be a career highlight for you. Remember one thing though. These winning streaks go in cycles. It wasn't long ago that Alabama was the laughing stock of the SEC when Mike DuBose and Mike Price were fired for their indiscretions and that other "Mike", Mike Shula couldn't get it done either. Nick Saban isn't going to coach forever and when he does finally retire you better hope Alabama can find the next great college coach or they may be looking up at Tennessee and Auburn again in the SEC. Maybe Coach Saban can then hire you as his personal assistant when he retires.

Sincerely,
Randy Smith and thousands of other Tennessee fans.

Who is Randy Smith and why is he worrying about a former coach and not the current one?

Heaven forbid we lose to Mizzou and Dooley cracks a smile after the game.

At least Dooley holds a real job at Mizzou, and might even have an influence on its outcome.

Some people collect stamps; Saban collects failed coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alto1
Randy Smith
I hope you enjoyed your post game victory cigar at Neyland Stadium on Saturday. I'm sure there are several boxes of 'Stogies" hidden deep in the confines of Neyland that haven't been used at all in the past twelve years; the last five attributed to your tenure as Tennessee's head coach. I guess the slogan, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." certainly fits. I also applaud the gesture that Alabama Coach Nick Saban gave when he hired you as a "special analyst" and handed you a salary of $30,000 a year. I hope that you will do the right thing and donate that $30,000 to the charity of your choice since you are still getting paid millions of dollars by the University of Tennessee to -not- be the head coach of the Volunteers.

That gloating smirk on your face with the stub of what was left of your cigar really told the story of how you feel about your time in the Volunteer state.

So, I think it's only fair to relay the feelings of thousands of Tennessee fans this morning about how they feel about your little celebration. Our program is in the worst shape it has ever been in thanks in large part to you. That 4-8 season in 2017 was the worst season in school history and I'm sure that 0-8 SEC record is a defining moment in your career. Now that you're a part of the Crimson Tide staff, you can look back with pride and say, "Look what I did my last year in Knoxville. I brought that once proud Tennessee program to its knees before I left with a multi-million dollar payout."

All the credit for the Vols' demise can't really be credited to you though Butch. Lane Kiffin had a hand in it and so did three years under Derek Dooley. But your fingerprints all all over the last five out of nine years of less than mediocre football in Knoxville. I do have to hand it to you though. You did bring in some really good recruiting classes, but something happened to those four and five star athletes you signed. Some never made the field while others never developed as outstanding college players after stellar high school careers. I guess player development just isn't one of your strong points.

You did leave us with some really clever cliches though. The "Champions of Life" declaration was perhaps the best, and I also liked the "Brick by Brick" slogan you came up with in your first year. And that "Five star Hearts" slogan was a classic. I wonder what you may have in store for Alabama now that your a valuable member of Saban's staff. I can't wait to find out.

Once again congratulations on that 58-20 win on Saturday. I'm sure your are so proud of your accomplishment. To be able to stand in that visiting locker room and smoke that victory cigar must be a career highlight for you. Remember one thing though. These winning streaks go in cycles. It wasn't long ago that Alabama was the laughing stock of the SEC when Mike DuBose and Mike Price were fired for their indiscretions and that other "Mike", Mike Shula couldn't get it done either. Nick Saban isn't going to coach forever and when he does finally retire you better hope Alabama can find the next great college coach or they may be looking up at Tennessee and Auburn again in the SEC. Maybe Coach Saban can then hire you as his personal assistant when he retires.

Sincerely,
Randy Smith and thousands of other Tennessee fans.
Thanks to Randy for articulating what so many of us felt watching Butch and his cigar celebration. Now there's a man with zero pride Tthe biggest BS move I've ever seen. I get that a fired coach can get his feelings hurt and think that he got the hook too soon but if Butch were a standup guy or any kind of honorable man at all he would know what going winless in the SEC means to the Tennessee fan base and feel some sense of remorse or responsibility. Tennessee entrusted him with our beloved football program and made him rich. I was ambivalent about all the Butch hate before but this move makes me officially loathe him. Just beyond disgusted.

lol... checkmate

Give him a break. He was weighed in the balances and found wanting. He doesn't irk me nearly as much as his predecessor, D.D. And come to think of it, D.D. doesn't irk me as much as the idiot A.D. who hired him.

I don't remember seeing pics of Lane doing this. Does that mean Kiffin is more mature than Butch?
I had that same thought. For all of Kiffin's texting and brash comments, he seemed to keep a pretty low profile on all things related to the TSIO while he was at Bama. Maybe it was because he left Tennessee on his own, while Butchie was issued a pink slip. From what we saw of Butchie after the game, he'll make sure someone takes a picture of him with Bama's NC ring in January. I don't see anyone stopping that march, unless Nick goes completely off his rocker and allows Jones to actually do some coaching.

Just because someone is inducted into the hall of fame doesnt mean everything they do is great. And for the "talking about other fans" he literally signed it "thousands of other Tennessee fans"
I guess this was published, makes pur fanbase sound like a bunch of crybabies. We cant talk about the performance on the field, so this is what we talk about.

Reminds me of that adele song hello....pretty good song until you realize that she is the crazy chic stalking her ex.

Actually Adele says the song is about looking for and finding herself. Not about an ex but I will agree we need to let the Butch hate go. To hell with him. Heā€™s no longer a part of the program. Looking forward, not back.

Butch Jones is more pitiable than worthy of anger. In hindsight, with the stuff we've all read now, he strikes me as a small man with crushing insecurities, as evidenced by, well, name it. The breakdown after the Georgia game, showing that the moment was bigger than him. The culture under his watch, where otherwise very successful coaches like Bob Shoop are on the record as saying they never really got the opportunity to be themselves or do their thing. We are probably never going to hear the full extent of what all went on with coaches and players trying to navigate the minefield of that guy's personality.

Sucking on a stogie that came solely from riding someone else's coattails, and gloating instead of having the humility to act like he knows full well that he couldn't get it done for us on his own watch... that just goes to show you that he's got a thin skin, and that he knows full well what everyone here thinks of him and it cuts him. Otherwise why indulge some "look at me, I'm a winner" vanity like that, when he looks more like a punchline than a champion. Any sensible person would have been keeping their head down and avoiding the spotlight, and focusing on work and trying to rebuild some semblance of credibility as a coach.

Enjoy the cigar, Butch. Meanwhile we'll enjoy seeing a program get built on a more solid foundation.

I really didn't want to post in this thread or on this topic, but you nailed it. Your words were my words late Sat night after I witnessed BJ's childish antics and I saw the silly photos.

He's just a fragile little man; it's as simple as that . . . and I'm just glad he's gone.

Reactions: ArmchairQB
Actually Adele says the song is about looking for and finding herself. Not about an ex but I will agree we need to let the Butch hate go. To hell with him. Heā€™s no longer a part of the program. Looking forward, not back.
Its weird, adelea explanations sounds about like some vols fans. Lol

Does anybody think that Butch will be hired at a P5 school to HC ever again?

Does anybody think he will be hired as an assistant in the SEC or the NFL? I am not sure if he will even be an analyst....

As far as the P5 schools there are several, but I am not sure who would do so? Houston...

What knowledge will he gain from Saban that will make him successful?
I am sure that there are a few that will sink to his level of coaching but it is hard to see who would do so with all the others in front of him....

His strength was bull$#!++ing and selling. Somebody will eventually take a shot at him for the tshirt and foam brick sales.

If integrity and winning are on down the list of importance he is your guy.

Reactions: CPVOL

VN Store

Back