Quarterback play

A leader isn't someone who gets everyone fired up by clapping and swinging a towel on the sideline. (Butch Jones definition).. It's someone who has a ton of poise under stress. The other players can see it in their eyes and they believe in them. Peyton had it, and I hate to say it but Jake Fromm has IT too. It's that "command presence" on the field. We need to find that guy.

Reactions: 2 people
I think Pruitt is lowering expectations for the QB spot since we really don’t have a proven one yet... maybe Geronimo has grown up... Chryst May have the intangibles tho, too bad he’s not going thru spring ball.

how many more examples is needed?

We need to know who the starter is after Spring camp. Waiting until Fall and having another strung out QB “competition” is what repeatedly kills us.

We need to know who the starter is after Spring camp. Waiting until Fall and having another strung out QB “competition” is what repeatedly kills us.

How are you going to do that when one of those competing for the position isn't going to be at spring camp?

Guys, JG is gonna be the starter coming out of spring and will be the starter in September barring some unforeseen catastrophe. As has been said many times by many who cover the team closely (Hubbs, Price, Ainge, et al), Chryst is being brought in to be an experienced backup. Heard Ainge discuss it again this morning. He thinks JG will take a huge step this season and Chryst will ultimately be his backup.

Reactions: 1 person
How is a guy who’s known the team for 2 months going to lead them?

I believe that JG will ultimately win the spot, but Pruitt and Helton didn’t sell Chryst a backup spot. Chryst is experienced in a similar system and in big boy football, two months is more than enough to familiarize yourself with the players. Leadership isn’t automatic with a few months edge. Dormady had years of a head start and didn’t have any discernible advantage over Guarantano in that department.

I believe that JG will ultimately win the spot, but Pruitt and Helton didn’t sell Chryst a backup spot. Chryst is experienced in a similar system and in big boy football, two months is more than enough to familiarize yourself with the players. Leadership isn’t automatic with a few months edge. Dormady had years of a head start and didn’t have any discernible advantage over Guarantano in that department.

But but by the time it was a competition JG had been here over a year. Not two months. He will get a shot but it's going to be tough to overtake JG imo.

But but by the time it was a competition JG had been here over a year. Not two months. He will get a shot but it's going to be tough to overtake JG imo.

We KNOW your opinion. Might as well make it your signature! :w00t:

By the guy ahead of him getting hurt.

That was how he got the opportunity to play.

That's not how he lead the team. That's not how he instilled confidence in the team, and it is certainly not how he established himself as the starter going forward, causing Eason to transfer.

I have no idea who will win the starting QB job this year. I honestly don't care, not even a tiny bit. I am perfectly fine assuming the coaching staff is capable of recognizing who gives the team the best chance to win.

IF, and I said if, it is Chryst, I don't think he will have any problems establishing himself as a team leader.

Last edited:
I expect elevated play from the position this season, don't know who is going to surface, but the results should be much better than we've become accustomed too.

1) I felt like JG got better as the season went on but the OL imploded much faster than his learning curve.

2) The scheme last year wasn't very Pass-Centric and it showed.

3) Leadership wise, I thought JG did some growing up as the season progressed but he still has a ways to go.

4) I think JG has a slight edge over Chryst, especially since Chryst won't arrive on campus until after May. If Chryst showed up for Spring Practice, then it would be dead even. JG probably has better arm strength too.

I think what balance's out the not arriving till summer is Chryst has played in a Pro Style his entire career and knows how to run it. JG and McBride on the other hand have zero experience in it and will be like completely starting over. Even down to the experience lining up under center. I'm sure the offense will be simplified but as far as experience in a Pro Style that falls heavily in Chryst's favor. I'm sure JG will be able to pick it up though, but question is does he wanna play in this style offense? That's something that hasn't been discussed much. That's exactly why I am surprised Dormady didn't Atleast go through Spring Practice before deciding to transfer. I'm not sure Dormady could play at an SEC level in any offense though but we will never know.

A leader isn't someone who gets everyone fired up by clapping and swinging a towel on the sideline. (Butch Jones definition).. It's someone who has a ton of poise under stress. The other players can see it in their eyes and they believe in them. Peyton had it, and I hate to say it but Jake Fromm has IT too. It's that "command presence" on the field. We need to find that guy.

Chryst supposedly had that at Stanford and respect from his teammates and Coach's. Was said to be a great leader and teammate. Im sure that's one of the reasons they chose to offer Chryst,plus his experience in a pro style offense and knowing how to win games. But leadership is supposed to be one of Chryst's best best qualities. How that equates to success at TN will be decided later this fall. If nothing else it should Atleast show JG and JT how to be a leader as a QB on and off the field. We definitely need leadership in the locker room from some of the players. It was painfully obvious we had zero from players and Coach's. It's essential that the starting QB be a leader and demand respect from his teammates.

I think Pruitt is lowering expectations for the QB spot since we really don’t have a proven one yet... maybe Geronimo has grown up... Chryst May have the intangibles tho, too bad he’s not going thru spring ball.

I definitely don't see Pruitt or Helton doing that. I've seen no evidence that they are lowering expectations from their QB. I'm very confident that they will expect leadership, control of the offense and run it the way it's designed to be ran. JG has the physical tools to be a great QB, but so did Ryan Leaf. What we don't know is can he mature as a leader and handle the pressure he will have as QB at TN. And how will he take to more disciplined coaching and does he have it upstairs to make the right decisions during games.

That definitely won't happen I don't believe.It shouldn't hurt us either way though. Don't really think that was a big issue last year outside of how it was handled by Butch. This is a different situation with a new coaching staff and completely new offense. There's no way it's getting decided this spring, With the 2 Prostyle QB's who are perfect fits for this type offense not arriving till June. I doubt we know our starting QB till atleast a little while into fall camp. If that was the plan, I doubt Chryst would be getting brought in and wasting a scholly. Just like TN is probably a long way from being decided as far as who our starter will be. London will have a big say in that whenever he is arrives. Got a feeling we won't know many, if any starters before fall camp.

Guys, JG is gonna be the starter coming out of spring and will be the starter in September barring some unforeseen catastrophe. As has been said many times by many who cover the team closely (Hubbs, Price, Ainge, et al), Chryst is being brought in to be an experienced backup. Heard Ainge discuss it again this morning. He thinks JG will take a huge step this season and Chryst will ultimately be his backup.

It would definitely be the perfect and best case scenario so we aren't doing this again next year, but I'm not sure that's how it plays out. JG could really suck it up this Spring or he could look like the QB he was recruited to be. JG most likely wins the job unless he struggles with an offense he doesn't know. I would be shocked if he is named starter this spring. Now if JG comes out this spring and looks like an all conference QB that could be different but even Dormady looked great last spring and in the O&W game. Chryst could come in and make it impossible not to start him. Just an opinion but I think this is a long way from being decided. I really hope JG wins the job and gets announced this spring so he has all summer to get in sync with receiver's and continue learning the offense. I'll gladly say I was wrong if it happens, but don't think there's a QB starter announced anytime soon.

It would definitely be the perfect and best case scenario so we aren't doing this again next year, but I'm not sure that's how it plays out. JG could really suck it up this Spring or he could look like the QB he was recruited to be. JG most likely wins the job unless he struggles with an offense he doesn't know. I would be shocked if he is named starter this spring. Now if JG comes out this spring and looks like an all conference QB that could be different but even Dormady looked great last spring and in the O&W game. Chryst could come in and make it impossible not to start him. Just an opinion but I think this is a long way from being decided. I really hope JG wins the job and gets announced this spring so he has all summer to get in sync with receiver's and continue learning the offense. I'll gladly say I was wrong if it happens, but don't think there's a QB starter announced anytime soon.

He wasn't saying there would be a public declaration of who the starter is come the end of spring, he was just saying that most around the program expect jg to be the defacto starter unless chryst comes in and outplays him (which many consider not likely) he would continue to be the starter. Also, you are overplaying the unfamiliarity with the new system, JG's high school team ran a hybrid pro style with multiple sets and some spread concepts, mostly from the gun. The only thing that would probably be super new, is being under center more often, but then again until we actually see the Helton offense at UT, we just really won't know how often they will actually be under center.

VN Store

Back