Pruitt will unleash the D now!

VolsGrad1989

Professional BIG ORANGE OPTIMIST!!!
I said a couple of weeks ago that we didn't show everything vs WVU and go lashed repeatedly. Most of the lashing was warranted. However, I didn't word it all correctly. I think much of the not showing all the schemes, blitzes, etc... was due to lack of knowledge of a young secondary and all D learning a new D once again. I do think the players have almost of of the knowledge they need now to run close to all of the packages that Pruitt wants to use. I expect to see lots more blitzing and the D causing Franks a lot of confusion. I expect more four man fronts due to the Gators trying to run the ball much more than pass to try and win the time of possession and give them a better chance to win. I expect the VOLS D to wreak havoc on the Gators O, especially with their O being mediocre at best. I also expect to outrush the Gators by quite a bit. I think the OL will step up more this game. The entire team will be much more hungry for a win than they have been all season!!! VOLS WIN by at least 10!!!! Just remember, I told you so!!! =)

Last edited:
I expect the defense to play more 4 man front because it gives us the ability to stop the run better and forces Franks to make throws under pressure, which is out of his comfort zone. The defense will blitz, but I don't know that there will be more blitz packages called. If we get enough pressure on Franks with our D-line it would be better to keep our linebackers and DB's back in coverage and run support.

Our guys will be amped up for opening SEC play and doing so against our rival will give the guys all the fuel they need to run high octane all night. If anything, the most important thing for CJP is to keep the D tame enough to remember gap responsibilities and play disciplines assignment football and not try to make plays on their own. If our emotions get too high we will blow assignments and Florida has the athletes to take advantage of that and break a big play. Hard nosed run defense and good pass defense and run support will go further than blitzes and stunts will. Hopefully CJP lives up to his name and our defense comes out humming and gives out offense the ball enough to put up 30, because I think we will need 30 to beat the gators. GBO!!

Reactions: VolsGrad1989
I wonder how many people are watching this thread so they can come back on Sunday and toast this guy?

But seriously, I hope you’re right!

I said a couple of weeks ago that we didn't show everything vs WVU and go lashed repeatedly. Most of the lashing was warranted. However, I didn't word it all correctly. I think much of the not showing all the schemes, blitzes, etc... was due to lack of knowledge of a young secondary and all D learning a new D once again. I do think the players have almost of of the knowledge they need now to run close to all of the packages that Pruitt wants to use. I expect to see lots more blitzing and the D causing Franks a lot of confusion. I expect more four man fronts due to the Gators trying to run the ball much more than pass to try and win the time of possession and give them a better chance to win. I expect the VOLS D to wreak havoc on the Gators O, especially with their O being mediocre at best. I also expect to outrush the Gators by quite a bit. I think the OL will step up more this game. The entire team will be much more hungry for a win than they have been all season!!! VOLS WIN by at least 10!!!! Just remember, I told you so!!! =)

So it took Pruitt a month to get his team "hungry for a win"?

Defenses will tend to look better when they play teams like ETSU and UTEP.

I worry about Franks and their RB's gashing this defense with a few runs because of missed assignments covering the gaps more so than coming up with blitzes to confuse Franks. By most accounts, that isn't a tall order.

I'd love it if you were right, but I don't think it's going down that way. We might see a few new plays or new blitzes, but nothing crazy. We have a shot at this game because Florida looks bad this year and we're at home.

VN Store

Back