"Protests"

Man, usually I wouldn’t bother, but most of the folks who have posted in here over the past 24 hours have been civil, so it’s been cool.

That's the good thing about having a nice civil discussion. To me there's no reason for name calling or anything. I always enjoy a good discussion with somebody like you Nerd, who gets their point across but not in hateful or rude manner.

Reactions: 1 person
I honestly don't see how anyone can hate the people kneeing . There doing nothing wrong . Chances are u have disrespected the flag a lot worse . And the whole it's there job thing . It says they SHOULD stand for the flag . Like u SHOULD not speed or u SHOULD not do drugs

The most effective means of protest are generally coupled with political action. In addition to the NFL protests, there should be publicized town hall meetings that are televised. Where the community engages local leadership to include the Sherriff and Police Chief to voice their concerns. There should be legislation specifically addressing police brutality that outline consequences (outside of PD policy and local ordinances), talking at least state level legislation (not sure if it already exists). There should be 3rd party investigators who are neutral (not from the local community) to investigate instances of police brutality. Likewise, more broadcasts of community outreach events and efforts to draw support of reforming the community. Just my two cents. I know its not sensational and the media will never do it.

I honestly don't see how anyone can hate the people kneeing . There doing nothing wrong . Chances are u have disrespected the flag a lot worse . And the whole it's there job thing . It says they SHOULD stand for the flag . Like u SHOULD not speed or u SHOULD not do drugs

I take my rules and regulations seriously. I have spent all of my adult life in the Army. I place a very high importance on respecting what this country stands for and the symbols that represent her.

The most effective means of protest are generally coupled with political action. In addition to the NFL protests, there should be publicized town hall meetings that are televised. Where the community engages local leadership to include the Sherriff and Police Chief to voice their concerns. There should be legislation specifically addressing police brutality that outline consequences (outside of PD policy and local ordinances), talking at least state level legislation (not sure if it already exists). There should be 3rd party investigators who are neutral (not from the local community) to investigate instances of police brutality. Likewise, more broadcasts of community outreach events and efforts to draw support of reforming the community. Just my two cents. I know its not sensational and the media will never do it.

That’s well thought out. I definitely think that’s something that would prove effective.

I do have concerns with the difficulty of prosecuting officers who are accused of brutality. It seems super difficult to get one of these past a grand jury. I am curious to see how the proliferation of body cameras works in the matter.

That's the good thing about having a nice civil discussion. To me there's no reason for name calling or anything. I always enjoy a good discussion with somebody like you Nerd, who gets their point across but not in hateful or rude manner.

Likewise.

I can understand why people have been made upset by it. The flag and the anthem have become strongly tied with the military. I’m not sure if it’s always been that way, but it feels much more so in the post 9/11 era.

That’s well thought out. I definitely think that’s something that would prove effective.

I do have concerns with the difficulty of prosecuting officers who are accused of brutality. It seems super difficult to get one of these past a grand jury. I am curious to see how the proliferation of body cameras works in the matter.

That's because the cases are generally tried locally. Most DA offices are not going to want to prosecute the local PD. Maybe a federal level or even a state level court that is not in the local community would be the way to go.

I can understand why people have been made upset by it. The flag and the anthem have become strongly tied with the military. I’m not sure if it’s always been that way, but it feels much more so in the post 9/11 era.

Agreed. During the world wars, the anthem at sporting events was meant to drive patriotism. Views on the military post 9/11 make the flag, anthem, and anything patriotic synonymous with the military and supporting it. That's why everyone is getting offended. It's not the reason for the protest that people are outraged about. If they adjusted their timeline and did it before or after the anthem, then the outrage wouldn't exist. However, the point of the protest is to garner attention to the reason behind the protest. In today's polarizing political environment, it's not a well thought out strategy. You want the cause of your protest to garner as much support as possible. Instead it alienating people and causing more division.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, minorities in the low-income areas of metropolitan areas all over this nation are killing one another at a mind-boggling rate, day after day after day. Not to single out any one city, but Chicago does stand as a glaring example of just how bad it really is. And Chicago is only one of many.

No one seems to be protesting that, and the only ones kneeling are the families attending the funerals.

I cannot for the life of me understand how we can, and do, turn a blind eye to a problem that is killing an entire generation off.

JMO.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, minorities in the low-income areas of metropolitan areas all over this nation are killing one another at a mind-boggling rate, day after day after day. Not to single out any one city, but Chicago does stand as a glaring example of just how bad it really is. And Chicago is only one of many.

No one seems to be protesting that, and the only ones kneeling are the families attending the funerals.

I cannot for the life of me understand how we can, and do, turn a blind eye to a problem that is killing an entire generation off.

JMO.

I think that we can all agree that there any many issues that need to be remedied. It seems as though only the more controversial causes get attention. Plenty have and are still trying to help the low income areas in their community. One critical reform for fixing this areas is the point they are protesting. These low income areas have to trust the police in order to root out the criminal element that attributes to the cyclic nature of their plight. All areas have to be focused on at the same time. Economic opportunity, education, policing, youth programs, and many more. I grew up in one of the more troubled spots in Chicago before my family decided to move. There is a lot of work to be done.

Sarge, I appreciate your tone and tenor. You bring forth finely nuanced and thoughtful posts which are lacking on this site, the internet as a whole and political commentary in general.

Thank you

Last edited:
The NFL is destroying itself, the numbers are already below last year, people are losing interest and tuning out. I just left my sports bar and it was half full... its normally packed on Sunday.

They still dominate the tv ratings and its not close

From Asheville, NC :eek:lol:

2m85o29.jpg

I would agree that black people are treated worse than others by the police. It is also a fact that the heavy majority of crimes are being committed by black people. How can this be avoided? I assume that if white people were committing the majority of the crimes things would be reversed. No? I have seen white people treated badly by the police, bad police are bad police, but since the number of overall incidents are lower the bad incidents are lower. Follow? I am all for pressing the police departments to get rid of the bad police 100%.

Black people do not commit "the heavy majority of crimes." That is fake news. White people DO commit the majority of crimes. Now do you see the problem?

JMO.

This is also fake news. People do protest violence in cities. Those things don't get the same media coverage as police protests. Trust that a blind eye is not being turned.

Black people do not commit "the heavy majority of crimes." That is fake news. White people DO commit the majority of crimes. Now do you see the problem?

Black are 13% of the population and commit 52% of crimes. It isn't fake news, it's a fact. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poacFc6nhLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVBJ5m3sGfk

Also...... http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=socialnetwork

And for good measure....... http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...t-black-men-rare-heres-what-data-actually-say

We can't have real discussions about issues without first acknowledging and respecting facts and verifiable truths.

I’m sorry, I’m not going to take what a guy on YouTube and a couple of conservative websites say as the gospel.

These stats from the fbi however, should paint a better picture without an agenda.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/43tabledatadecoverviewpdf

These numbers are from 2012, but I doubt it has jumped from 28% to 51% in 5 years.

Edit:

Got these numbers from 2016:

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/table-21

Looks like it has dropped from 28% to 27%.

Last edited:
Are Latinos in the white category?

Also, these are just arrests, not percentages of people who commit the act. For instance how many of the murders in Chicago are solved, or shootings, etc.

Also, the numbers are not a good indication....because say something like DUi.....you start to remove stuff like that and say under age drinking. Liquir laws you get a different picture.

Last edited:

Also, these are just arrests, not percentages of people who commit the act. For instance how many of the murders in Chicago are solved, or shootings, etc.

Also, the numbers are not a good indication....because say something like DUi.....you start to remove stuff like that and say under age drinking. Liquir laws you get a different picture.

The poster stated that the majority of crimes were committed by blacks. These numbers reject that.

If you would like to tune the numbers to suit what you want to prove, then go for it.

As far as arrests as a basis, that’s all you can really go by to get quantifiable data. Anything less solid than that and it becomes anecdotal.

Why do you want to believe so bad that black people commit the majority of crimes? THAT IS A LIE!!! Maybe just maybe you should look deep inside and try to figure out where that narrative came from and why you believe it.

I’m sorry, I’m not going to take what a guy on YouTube and a couple of conservative websites say as the gospel.

These stats from the fbi however, should paint a better picture without an agenda.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/43tabledatadecoverviewpdf

These numbers are from 2012, but I doubt it has jumped from 28% to 51% in 5 years.

Edit:

Got these numbers from 2016:

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/table-21

Looks like it has dropped from 28% to 27%.

Excuse me but there are ****s and complete documentation of every statistic given. Conservative websites? Oh but leftist ones tell the truth, those are accurate, right? In any case, is Harvard conservative too?

When people trash sites rather than being able to rebut the data within, it tells me a lot.

The poster stated that the majority of crimes were committed by blacks. These numbers reject that.

If you would like to tune the numbers to suit what you want to prove, then go for it.

As far as arrests as a basis, that’s all you can really go by to get quantifiable data. Anything less solid than that and it becomes anecdotal.

The numbers are close, but if you look at percentage of crime versus percent of population, it's not close at all.

In any case, it's a moot point as the entire narrative put forth by the players is destroyed by multiple studies AND actual figures.

VN Store

Back