Potential relocation to Johnson City/Tri-cities area...opinions/info?

Certainly does, it's absurd. I had kicked around moving over there, in Black Mountain you're not getting anything other than a mobile home for under $400.
We bought our 100-year-old house in 2013 for $285K and it’s now worth around $750K. We did put around $100K into it to drag it into the current century, but that’s still nuts.

Teachers, police, firefighters, nurses, forget retail and service industries - where are they supposed to live?

We bought our 100-year-old house in 2013 for $285K and it’s now worth around $750K. We did put around $100K into it to drag it into the current century, but that’s still nuts.

Teachers, police, firefighters, nurses, forget retail and service industries - where are they supposed to live?
Totally off topic, but I think home ownership is being killed off (by design). End goal is to have everyone rent property owned by investment firms. A lot of the new tract homes in the Tri are being bought by LLCs as rentals, as many as 40%

I'm considering pursuit of a job in Johnson City (at ETSU), and while I am very familiar with Knox and Blount counties, I have little to no familiarity with the Tri-cities area. For those of y'all who have (or currently live) there, what opinions do y'all have of the area (good or bad)?

Not to get to far ahead of myself, are there any neighborhoods or areas (particularly in Johnson City, but anywhere in the Tri-Cities) that you'd recommend to steer towards or away from in terms of crime and/or livability? If it makes a difference, I'm in my early 40s with no kids or wife, so schools aren't the highest priority at the moment. Thanks in advance, y'all!
Jonesborough, Gray, Boones Creek, Piney Flats, and North Johnson City are the places people tend to move. I work for ETSU myself. I live in Colonial Heights. But my office is in Kingsport.

You'll have either Comcast or Charter for cable/internet depending on where you are. Parts of JC are Comcast, the whole rest of the area is Charter. Brightridge(the power company) has fiber too, depending on where you are.

Jonesborough, Gray, Boones Creek, Piney Flats, and North Johnson City are the places people tend to move. I work for ETSU myself. I live in Colonial Heights. But my office is in Kingsport.

You'll have either Comcast or Charter for cable/internet depending on where you are. Parts of JC are Comcast, the whole rest of the area is Charter. Brightridge(the power company) has fiber too, depending on where you are.

Nice, thanks for the info!

How is it working for ETSU overall? Is it a generally enjoyable work environment most days? How long does it take to vest in the retirement plan(s) available?

We live in South Carolina now, but I grew up in Jonesborough (and moved to Erwin when I got married). Went to school at ETSU and then worked in Kingsport for 12 years. The Tri-Cities is a great place - big enough to have the restaurants, stores, etc. that you want but not big enough to have horrible traffic. The road system in the area is also superior. My family still lives there, and we go back a couple of times a year. Pal's and Firehouse Restaurant (bbq) are must-dos each trip.
If you learn the backroads, the roads are fine. 11E just sucks because there’s now like 11 red lights between State of Franklin and the end of Jonesborough. I’ll take I-26 over DC or Hampton Roads traffic every day. I love Firehouse. It’s better than Ridgewood by miles imo.

All of the road infrastructure is becoming overwhelmed with the pace of development. Heck my ride home has changed from 23 minutes on average to 32 in 3 years.

I know what you mean...traffic has gotten crazy down here in the Greater Athghanistan area since I moved here, especially around the campus, 78, and the last several miles of 316 before the 10 Loop.

Reactions: Toujours Pret
If you learn the backroads, the roads are fine. 11E just sucks because there’s now like 11 red lights between State of Franklin and the end of Jonesborough. I’ll take I-26 over DC or Hampton Roads traffic every day. I love Firehouse. It’s better than Ridgewood by miles imo.

I never appreciated how great the roads in Tennessee are until I moved away. After living three years in Louisiana and 10 years in South Carolina, I now know what bad roads are. Tennessee roads are so well maintained. Potholes in Louisiana are basically the size of the Grand Canyon!

Reactions: JCHateSteve
I never appreciated how great the roads in Tennessee are until I moved away. After living three years in Louisiana and 10 years in South Carolina, I now know what bad roads are. Tennessee roads are so well maintained. Potholes in Louisiana are basically the size of the Grand Canyon!
Where do you live in SC? I’m moving to Sumter in June

Reactions: ohhbother
Where do you live in SC? I’m moving to Sumter in June
We live in Murrells Inlet, just south of Myrtle Beach. Despite my complaints about the roads (LOL), we love it here. The people are friendly, and the weather is just incredible. It's going to be 77 tomorrow, and we're planning to head across the street to spend the afternoon on the beach. I may have been born in the mountains, but I'm a beach girl at heart.

We live in Murrells Inlet, just south of Myrtle Beach. Despite my complaints about the roads (LOL), we love it here. The people are friendly, and the weather is just incredible. It's going to be 77 tomorrow, and we're planning to head across the street to spend the afternoon on the beach. I may have been born in the mountains, but I'm a beach girl at heart.
I don’t care for Myrtle, but I do love that stretch Murrells Inlet to Charleston

Nice, thanks for the info!

How is it working for ETSU overall? Is it a generally enjoyable work environment most days? How long does it take to vest in the retirement plan(s) available?
I generally like it. But it depends a lot on the department you are in.

There are 2 retirement plans. Both have a small 401k through empower. Then you pick the main plan.

The main choice is between state pension, vested at 5 years or a bigger 401k. There are three investment firms to pick from with the latter. You can use 1 or spread fund between them as you like. I have TIAA for that. Some jobs don't get access to the 401k though. If you can get it, I recommend starting on the 401k. You put in 5% and ETSU puts in 9%. It's great. It's vested immediately. You can then buy into the pension at year 5 if you want and be vested immediately. That way you get to keep your money if something goes wrong before year 5. I am about to hit year 5. But I'm going to keep the 401k. If you have worked anywhere else that uses TCRS (the pension) years of service pick-up where you left off before.

There are a bunch of choice of insurance medical/dental too. You can also get short and long term disability and you get good vacation and paid sick time. Pay is a little lower than the private sector. But man our benefits rock.

Reactions: tbh and VolNExile
I generally like it. But it depends a lot on the department you are in.

There are 2 retirement plans. Both have a small 401k through empower. Then you pick the main plan.

The main choice is between state pension, vested at 5 years or a bigger 401k. There are three investment firms to pick from with the latter. You can use 1 or spread fund between them as you like. I have TIAA for that. Some jobs don't get access to the 401k though. If you can get it, I recommend starting on the 401k. You put in 5% and ETSU puts in 9%. It's great. It's vested immediately. You can then buy into the pension at year 5 if you want and be vested immediately. That way you get to keep your money if something goes wrong before year 5. I am about to hit year 5. But I'm going to keep the 401k. If you have worked anywhere else that uses TCRS (the pension) years of service pick-up where you left off before.

There are a bunch of choice of insurance medical/dental too. You can also get short and long term disability and you get good vacation and paid sick time. Pay is a little lower than the private sector. But man our benefits rock.

I'm looking at a Design Manager position with Facilities Management...any 411 to share on that group?

I really like that they give the option to buy into TCRS at a later date. I'm in GA TRS pension plan right now with my current state employer, and it's 10 years to vest (oof). I have a little over 8.5 years in currently and part of me says I ought to stick it out till I'm vested here and then skip town, but with the right offer I'd happily high-tail it out of this area. May as well roll the dice and if I have the fortune to be in a position where a decision is necessary, so be it.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
I'm looking at a Design Manager position with Facilities Management...any 411 to share on that group?

I really like that they give the option to buy into TCRS at a later date. I'm in GA TRS pension plan right now with my current state employer, and it's 10 years to vest (oof). I have a little over 8.5 years in currently and part of me says I ought to stick it out till I'm vested here and then skip town, but with the right offer I'd happily high-tail it out of this area. May as well roll the dice and if I have the fortune to be in a position where a decision is necessary, so be it.
Don't know the ins and outs of that department. But they don't hire much, which is a good sign. It's not an academic department. So the politics may be less.

That's an admin job so you would get the 401k option. Here is the pay grades if you haven't looked. You want the 2nd table down.

Salary Schedules

Last edited:
Reactions: tbh
We're about to open a D1 Training facility in Johnson City, so over the past year, I've been up there a few times each month. It's such a nice place. Very quiet and everyone seems friendly. I was at the ETSU/Mercer game lasty year, and it blew my hair back. Even though the team was awful, the game was sold out. They love their sports up that way. Especially basketball!

Reactions: tbh and JCHateSteve
Always thought that is one of Tennessee's most scenic regions.watagua offers excellent recreational opportunities.
Huh, more scenic that west TN?

When we lived there it was a nice place to live. I had clients in Memphis, and Canada is closer so the drive sucks. At that time(last century) it took a day to fly from Tri Cities to Memphis.

Last edited:
Totally off topic, but I think home ownership is being killed off (by design). End goal is to have everyone rent property owned by investment firms. A lot of the new tract homes in the Tri are being bought by LLCs as rentals, as many as 40%
I think so too, and I think the “forces” creating any housing shortage are all local. Always at work. There’s never been any conspiracy or grand plan, just every community everywhere hoping to make real estate cost more. If you think this is new, watch “it’s a wonderful life” again.

Was born in JC 47 years ago, and lived there until I was 1 1/2 years old. Was nice then.

Reactions: Go aeiou
I think so too, and I think the “forces” creating any housing shortage are all local. Always at work. There’s never been any conspiracy or grand plan, just every community everywhere hoping to make real estate cost more. If you think this is new, watch “it’s a wonderful life” again.
The Tri currently has a housing shortage because folks have been moving here like crazy. So there is just more demand than there is housing. Sooner or later demand will level off or they'll get enough houses under roof. Then the bottom will fall out. For now my houses value has doubled.

Reactions: tbh and Pennheel
Arkansas has the worst roads.

VN Store

Back