Pick'em - Western Carolina 3/14

OldTimer

919 miles
Staff member
Western Carolina comes rumbling into town sporting a disappointing 1-14 record. Projected to finish 3rd in the Southern Conference just behind UNCG, only winning 1 game thus far is quite a surprise........hopefully they don't put it together on Wednesday.

Projected finish in the SoCon - 3rd

TOP PROSPECTS, 2018 DRAFT
1 Brendan Nail LHP Western Carolina

TOP PROSPECTS, 2019 DRAFT
None

IMPACT FRESHMEN
None

Western Carolina lost some key components from last season’s squad but should again contend if the pitching comes around. Coach Bobby Moranda feels the key offensively could be how role players from a year ago step up to become the go-to players this spring. Spencer Holcomb (.291/.373/.530) is behind the plate and brings a big bat to the lineup. He hit eight home runs in 2017. Justin Sparks (.269/.356/.389) and Luke Robinson (.218/.274/.287) are also catchers who will also see time at DH. Andrew Bullock (.289/.341/.410) will be the first baseman. Cameron Blaquiere (.267/.335/.435) is the shortstop. A pair of freshmen, Will Prator (second base) and Justice Bigbie (third base) will round out the infield. Caleb Robinson (.279/.358/.431), Matthew Koehler (.303/.403/.451) and Andrew Robinson (.314/.357/.352) are the projected outfield starters.
Tristan Baker (4-3, 6.75) is the projected ace. He made a dozen starts last season. Freshman righty Zach Franklin should be another starter. Michael Davis (0-1, 6.57) and Jake Niezen (0-1, 4.38) are other key arms along with Dylan Biumi (2-0, 5.82).

Link to WCU schedule/Results, CatamountSports.com :: Western Carolina University Official Athletic Site :: WCU Baseball

Western Carolina +3.5

Simply reply WIN or LOSE, a correct answer will be awarded 2 points

NO DOUBLE UP FOR THIS GAME

Rules are simple and may change without notice:

1. Simply pick how the Vols will fair during the mid-week games
2. Reply with Sweep, 2-1, 1-2 or Swept for a weekend series or WIN or LOSE for a midweek game.
3. At the end of the season (tournaments included) a winner will be selected by their correct predictions and awarded a special prize on behalf of OldTimer and not to exceed $10,000 in value
4. All predictions must be submitted by the 1st pitch of the 1st Game, any edits after the start of the game will result in a disqualification for that Series or Game
5. You do not have to play every week, total points won will win
6. Point system may be changed at my discretion at any time
7. Weather will be an issue, I'll post any instructions regarding weather prior to each game, check back often if inclement weather is in play
8. More rules may be added at my discretion
9. No wagering
10. Disputes will be handled by a 3 person panel: Me, Myself and I

Again, if there is an EDIT after the game starts on your post, your prediction doesn't count....

Point System
Weekend Series
3 Points awarded if you correctly pick 2-1, 1-2 or 1-1 for a rained shortened series. No points awarded for a 1 game weekend series
1 Point awarded if you pick 2-1 and the Vols Sweep
6 Points awarded if you correctly pick a Sweep or Swept, doesn't matter if we only get in 2 games due to weather

Midweek Games
2 points for correctly picking the winner
games will be handicapped

Double Up
Double your point value if correct however points are subtracted if your prediction is wrong. Example, you pick the Vols to go 1-2 and you Double Up, if they go 1-2 you will receive 6 points however if your pick is wrong you receive -3.

2018 Pick'em is for the enjoyment of the Volnation forums, NO GAMBLING ALLOWED!

Pick with your gut and not your heart!!! - OT

Last edited:
Win the game but comes up short on the spread.......

Last edited:
Strange team. Lost two, one run games to #10 Louisville and several other close ones. Hopefully they continue the bad luck for another game.

and we're not exactly number one in the nation, either...on any given day you can learn a valuable lesson in humility...:)

GBO!

VN Store

Back