Vols in MLB Update

He may still be an early call up this season. But he hasn’t even played at AAA level yet. Most orgs don’t have players make the jump from AA straight to the bigs. He will likely debut this season.

He may still be an early call up this season. But he hasn’t even played at AAA level yet. Most orgs don’t have players make the jump from AA straight to the bigs. He will likely debut this season.
Most orgs don't have a prospect bat over .400 on 50+ ABs in spring training.

Major League service time manipulation. Bring him up in may and have an extra year with him.
If you all remember, the Cubs did the same thing to Kris Bryant back in the day. It eventually backfires.

The Cubs did go on to win that elusive World Series with Bryant, but as soon as he could get out of Chicago he took his payday and ran. I don't think he ever got over the service time game.

How in TF did Lipscomb not make the roster!!? This is why that organization hasn't been to the playoffs in 5 years. Stupid decisions
More than just "how they play on the field" goes into these decisions. I'd have to really break it down as it pertains to Trey (I don't have the time to go thru his game logs) to understand it. First thing I would look at are the options of his competition. I suspect Trey has 3 options so the team has the luxury of sending him down and keeping him protected as opposed to someone out of options. Their next step is DFA. Next, thing I'd look at is how many games did he play in Spring, when was he getting into the game (first 5 innings or last 4), who was he batting against...veterans or other guys trying to make the roster.

He's young like a lot of these other guys like Beck, Dollander, Gilbert, Tidwell, Joyce, Mabry, etc. They have a lot to learn and experience. And remember, it's business. The best player doesn't always make the 26 or 40 man rosters. IMO

It's a long season. Players get hurt, players can be ineffective, and teams go on losing streaks. Maybe an opportunity will come their way.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Most orgs don't have a prospect bat over .400 on 50+ ABs in spring training.
AAA has long been a parking lot for borderline guys and not a developmental level. I know not every parent club views it like this but most do. A great deal of the guys do skip from AA to MLB or just use AAA as a speed bump if there is an injury on the AAA roster.

This is solely about service time manipulation so they can get an extra year of talented guys before becoming free agents. Doing such is illegal in the CBA but it's almost impossible to prove and the players union has long cared more about current players than future and have more things to worry about to start protesting these actions. Especially, if the kid gets called up before the dispute hearing is scheduled. The last CBA that gives clubs incentives to have rookies on opening day roster - compensatory picks- only applies if that player finishes in top-3 of rookie of the year voting. The odds of being top-3 are just too low.

Trey will be called up shortly after that magical 16th day of the 187 day season.

The pitching is normally better at AA than AAA. If the Nats were truly wanting to develop Trey, they would have sent him back to AA. Sending him to AAA just looks better PR wise.

AAA has long been a parking lot for borderline guys and not a developmental level. I know not every parent club views it like this but most do. A great deal of the guys do skip from AA to MLB or just use AAA as a speed bump if there is an injury on the AAA roster.

This is solely about service time manipulation so they can get an extra year of talented guys before becoming free agents. Doing such is illegal in the CBA but it's almost impossible to prove and the players union has long cared more about current players than future and have more things to worry about to start protesting these actions. Especially, if the kid gets called up before the dispute hearing is scheduled. The last CBA that gives clubs incentives to have rookies on opening day roster - compensatory picks- only applies if that player finishes in top-3 of rookie of the year voting. The odds of being top-3 are just too low.

Trey will be called up shortly after that magical 16th day of the 187 day season.

The pitching is normally better at AA than AAA. If the Nats were truly wanting to develop Trey, they would have sent him back to AA. Sending him to AAA just looks better PR wise.
I’m affiliated with an organization, and this is not accurate for all orgs. There are several that absolutely do not promote or skip levels in their orgs. Agree that AA is more developmental, for sure. And frankly, a lot of the AA talent is better than AAA. But as a practice, there are several orgs that do not skip AAA and have players go right to the 26-man roster. Not all, but several. I also agree with the fact that stats and field performance are only a few factors of many factors that go into that decision.

VN Store

Back