Pete Carroll stepping down

He’s one of the best 5 football coaches of the last 25 years. I hope he’s not just remembered for the pass in SB49. Was a juggernaut at USC and his pro career with Seattle was super impressive

If anything, he's underrated. I don't think his name comes up all that quickly in a discussion about the greatest coaches of all-time, but it should.

It is wild to me how SB49 is the first thing a lot of people, especially younger people, remember him for. I could understand it if he never won a SB, or wasn't also an extremely successful college coach who won multiple titles, but he did both of those things.

I’m not sure if he stepped down or was fired/forced out based on the press conference and what I heard on tv.

I’m not sure if he stepped down or was fired/forced out based on the press conference and what I heard on tv.
It's odd. Usually in these situations where someone is leaving a position and the employer doesn't say "fired" or another euphemism, it's easy to figure out if it was a firing, mutual, or the person left entirely on their own.

The way they have handled the situation and phrased their statement actually makes it kind of hard to figure out what exactly happened. He's staying on as an advisor/executive VP, which is odd if he was fired or if there was animosity. If he wanted to still be a HC, there are plenty of openings, some of which are in pretty good situations, but he's choosing to remain there in a different role. However, he said just last week that he planned to coach next year and wanted to keep coaching.

I bet after some internal discussions, they were able to convince him to accept this role. Not "fired" per se, but also not 100% his decision.

Seattle is a good job and Harbaugh will probably be among the top names on their coaching search list.

It's quite clear from his press conference that he was fired. He said "I want to make it very clear that my intention was to continue coaching this team".
At least it seems he told the truth this time

VN Store

Back