Our biggest need for bball vols?

Also, guard play is probably the most important thing when it comes to the NCAA Tournament.

Look how Nova’s guards made plays against Michigan in the National Title game.

With that in mind, what is our biggest need for next year.

Wow, the number of variables that are involved...

I don't know if there is a magic bullet that is not already on campus, nor do I think we have all that we need to elevate to another level, EXCEPT I believe we will benefit greatly from NOT having to introduce new players to the program and everybody coming back can concentrate MORE on improving the areas the staff identifies for them to work on... be it physical or efficiency related for their positions... It will be great to not have so many underclassmen so they can work on all of their defined sortcomings.... following the Admiral plan for improvement of range, honing defensive skills around the rim for the bigger guys, getting fully healthy and improving conditioning, improving handles on the outside, improving slashing skills by our truer wings. Our one known freshman next year could really help as a stretch 5...

If they all buy in and improve individually and play more cohesively as units on the floor as they should with the experience they gained this year then I don't know what our limits could be. Whoever we add has to be able to switch a bunch so I don't see us getting a really BIG big.

I look forward to early games next year to see which guys improved their game, and I think they know if they don't they know their minutes will go away.... those not willing to put in the time would probably be surprise departures.... I am hopeful that next years sophmores will really step up....some will be 3rd year guys.... hopefully fully healthy and ready to go...

Reactions: 1 person
Alexander must eat more!

Fulkerson must start playing like he did before the injury.

Bowden cant fade and disappear after nonconference.

Bone must become a leader.

Johnson needs to be 100% healthy.

And most of all Williams needs to glue himself to the Admiral all summer and follow his work ethic to getting an outside shot.

i think personnel wise, we have pretty much all the pieces you'd want. we just need a few of them to get better at certain things.....

Scholfield is probably the most well rounded player we have, but he can get better getting to to the rim and finishing....primarily just handling the ball better in traffic.

williams needs to have more offensive weapons available to him. needs a mid range jumper, and at least show the ability to hit from outside on occasion....defensively, just some more discipline in not leaving his feet. be a wall, hold your ground.

for all the guards, attacking the basket, and creating...whether it be for your own shots or getting others involved....Bowden has the most to do here imo. Bone just needs to finish better...he's quick enough to make things happen. turner can shoot, but his size hurts him some when he tries to attack, but there are things he can do to help negate that.

Alexander i think can make the biggest leap. he's got the frame and length you want, needs to get stronger, and have the right attitude about being physical in rebounding and scoring. he's a decent defender, but i'd imagine CRB would say he (and probably everyone else for that matter lol) can get better defensively.

i think Walker is another one that could be a bigger contributor. he has a lot of the tools, but a little like KA, he needs more in his offensive repertoire, and can get better at defending. but i like this kid a lot. he has potential.

Pons, i think he should be trying to do exactly what Scholfield is doing...he's athletic, long, quick, and strong. just not always in control. he needs work, but man, he sure looks the part.

Fulkerson...needs to stay healthy for one, and get stronger. he also has a lot of room to grow. but has to stay healthy long enough to do it.

and if we get anything in recruiting that can be an immediate contributor, should help.

the pieces are there. we'll see what they do this off season to get it together....i for one am pretty excited to see what happens...

Reactions: 2 people
Alexander must eat more!

Fulkerson must start playing like he did before the injury.

Bowden cant fade and disappear after nonconference.

Bone must become a leader.

Johnson needs to be 100% healthy.

And most of all Williams needs to glue himself to the Admiral all summer and follow his work ethic to getting an outside shot.
Alpha personalities. Right now it's Schofield and Turner. Turner is streaky.

Bone is too passive. Williams needs to get Ron Slay to work with him on post moves. He could open up his shot if he'd work his pivot foot and throw in some head fakes. His game really suffered later in the year.

This team surpassed what I had predicted. I kept expecting them to hit a wall. Still, my concern is ceiling. When I see a team like UK I see their potential as far superior to UTs. Roster wise, there are a handful of teams who have a higher ceiling due to talent level that hasn't been tapped into.....Yet.

Barnes definitely got a ton out of these guys, but unless several players have radical personality transformations, I'm not sure the overall product is that much different. If some of these other teams start to gel and see their talent potential manifest, it could mean fewer wins in conference.

Bone is too passive. Williams needs to get Ron Slay to work with him on post moves. He could open up his shot if he'd work his pivot foot and throw in some head fakes. His game really suffered later in the year.

This team surpassed what I had predicted. I kept expecting them to hit a wall. Still, my concern is ceiling. When I see a team like UK I see their potential as far superior to UTs. Roster wise, there are a handful of teams who have a higher ceiling due to talent level that hasn't been tapped into.....Yet.

Barnes definitely got a ton out of these guys, but unless several players have radical personality transformations, I'm not sure the overall product is that much different. If some of these other teams start to gel and see their talent potential manifest, it could mean fewer wins in conference.

Most obvious statement ever.

Ron Slay working with Williams would be great.

Ron Slay working with Williams would be great.

Ron, had crazy post moves. People forget he led the SEC in scoring. Similar in height to Williams. Also, played several years overseas.

Williams is bullish but he got shut down several times by bigs who had a few inches on him. Passing is his other weakness.

Ron, had crazy post moves. People forget he led the SEC in scoring. Similar in height to Williams. Also, played several years overseas.

Williams is bullish but he got shut down several times by bigs who had a few inches on him. Passing is his other weakness.

I do feel his passing improved as the year went on. Especially as double-teaming him became en vogue.

Need another point guard for this years team. Probably to late to get one but a guy that could play quality minutes there would make this team supreme.

VN Store

Back