Oregon St RB Damien Martinez

RockiesTop22

So word is he visits April 21-22…(or maybe not now..)

Obviously he’s been a proven back- how do you see him fitting in with Sampson- and does this ruffle feathers with the young backs?

I guess these days only this year matters- so I say go get him.

Last edited:
Martinez would be a huge get.
RB is a definite need. There is a big drop off behind Sampson even if Seldon wasn’t hurt/coming off surgery.
We need a high level RB to rotate with Sampson while the others compete for that 3rd spot
If I remember correctly they have to decide by the 30th… looks like it’s us, Kentucky, miss state, Arizona and Miami.

Last edited:
I have always had a soft spot for Oregon St (mainly so they can stick it to big brother Oregon), so I am aware of this guy and it would be a massive get in the unit that is the one glaring weakness right now.

2024 could really be a special season for the Vols.

Last edited:
RB is a definite need. There is a big drop off behind Sampson even if Seldon wasn’t hurt/coming off surgery.
We need a high level RB to rotate with Sampson while the others compete for that 3rd spot
Hiw do you know there is a huge drop off after Sampson? You really haven’t seen much of the other guys. Would he be a huge get? Maybe. But what if his NIL deal upsets guys like Bishop or Keith? And all of a sudden they decide to jump in the portal? Then you have just created a terrible situation.

Hiw do you know there is a huge drop off after Sampson? You really haven’t seen much of the other guys. Would he be a huge get? Maybe. But what if his NIL deal upsets guys like Bishop or Keith? And all of a sudden they decide to jump in the portal? Then you have just created a terrible situation.

Seldon has had limited snaps and has looked ok but not close to how Sampson looks.
Keith and Bishop have had fewer snaps and should get carries this year but don’t look like starting SEC RBs at this point. Lewis hasn’t had a single college practice but I’m excited to see what he can do in the fall.
I look at it this way - if Sampson had an injury and missed several games, would you really feel good playing Bama, GA, FL, etc with those guys as our starting RBs? They would be serviceable and but the running game would struggle IMO.
Ideal situation is having another immediate impact proven RB to rotate with Sampson. If either misses time you still have a proven RB to rely on

Seldon has had limited snaps and has looked ok but not close to how Sampson looks.
Keith and Bishop have had fewer snaps and should get carries this year but don’t look like starting SEC RBs at this point. Lewis hasn’t had a single college practice but I’m excited to see what he can do in the fall.
I look at it this way - if Sampson had an injury and missed several games, would you really feel good playing Bama, GA, FL, etc with those guys as our starting RBs? They would be serviceable and but the running game would struggle IMO.
Ideal situation is having another immediate impact proven RB to rotate with Sampson. If either misses time you still have a proven RB to rely on
I dont like taking another RB. We have PL. Let the TE block.

If I remember correctly they have to decide by the 30th… looks like it’s us, Kentucky, miss state, Arizona and Miami.

I believe they have until the 30th to enter the portal but they don’t have to have signed by then. Not sure when the cut off is to sign and still be eligible for this season

Disagree with your eval of Seldon. I would bet that he ends up the best RB out of all 3 when it's said and done. It's too bad he got hurt or he'd be pushing Sampson for carries. Of course, JMHO.

I was just listening to Josh Ward on the Locked on Vol's show and he said that D Martinez was asking for $400,000 NIL. I do not think TN will pay that for a backup RB.
I agree, I don’t think UT pays out this amount either. They will probably go another route.

VN Store

Back