Onside Kicks...

His kicks are good and well-conceived, but boneheaded execution has destroyed every opportunity. This last attempt was ruined by Banks not watching the ball as it struck his body before ten yards. A previous attempt was botched by a player going for the ball rather than blocking out the Florida player receiving it.

Is our kicker excellent at onside kicks and our team just bad at going and getting the ball? Seems like we've missed out on several chances this season. Love the placement of the onside kick calls so far though.

Every attempt has totally been catchable by our team. The one vs Bama I place on the kicker.
Banks was not in there to be the guy to recover the onside kick. He was placed there to be the guy who goes and blows up a Bama player trying to get to the ball. The ball should have been kicked in a way that bounces behind him.

Based on how Banks has been used this year, he is the bruiser back. You can't tell me he was the one who is supposed to recover it. The rest of the attempts have not been recovered because our guys have butter fingers. It isn't just that, look at Nigel Warriors dropped pick vs Tua.... The first half was so much closer than the score... Bama should have had 14 points less than what they had at half time.

Reactions: Kelley_VFL
Told buddy this weekend while watching - one of these weeks, an onside kick is going to win us a game. The three I have seen so far this year have been really close.

Reactions: VeeOhElEsYes
[Q
Every attempt has totally been catchable by our team. The one vs Bama I place on the kicker.
Banks was not in there to be the guy to recover the onside kick. He was placed there to be the guy who goes and blows up a Bama player trying to get to the ball. The ball should have been kicked in a way that bounces behind him.

Based on how Banks has been used this year, he is the bruiser back. You can't tell me he was the one who is supposed to recover it. The rest of the attempts have not been recovered because our guys have butter fingers. It isn't just that, look at Nigel Warriors dropped pick vs Tua.... The first half was so much closer than the score... Bama should have had 14 points less than what they had at half time.

I was about to type the exact same thing about Banks being the guy to blow up the AL line. He clearly wasn't there to recover the kick. That was just a bad bounce.

Since we are so good at them, why wouldn’t opposing team just lineup in onside formation every time with 2 men deep and just fair catch it? Also saw a squib on Saturday to about the 10-15 yard line and were dangerously close to getting that one too.

Also, speaking of kicking, you guys notice Alabama strategy of kicking it to about the 10 or 15 so our guys didn’t call the fair catch but returned it, usually to about the 25, sometimes the 20, sometimes the 30. You think that’s a good strategy given the new fair catch rule?

Reactions: VolAllen
Since we are so good at them, why wouldn’t opposing team just lineup in onside formation every time with 2 men deep and just fair catch it? Also saw a squib on Saturday to about the 10-15 yard line and were dangerously close to getting that one too.

Also, speaking of kicking, you guys notice Alabama strategy of kicking it to about the 10 or 15 so our guys didn’t call the fair catch but returned it, usually to about the 25, sometimes the 20, sometimes the 30. You think that’s a good strategy given the new fair catch rule?

If there’s anyone going to find the way around a new rule, it’s Saban. And I think that strategy becomes the norm.

Special team returns have been a cluster this year.
I know, and it’s really taken away from the game. Were there seriously that many injuries in kickoff returns? Because I’ve been watching football for a long time and that’s not something I had realized.

I know, and it’s really taken away from the game. Were there seriously that many injuries in kickoff returns? Because I’ve been watching football for a long time and that’s not something I had realized.
It's statistically the most dangerous play in football.

to me, execution, not placement of the ball, has been the issue...I do like the try though...:D

GO VOLS...BEAT GAMECOCKS!

I'm talking about a fumbled kickoff, a fumbled punt and who knows what on a fair catch Sat and basically zero threat to make something happen. Meanwhile Ga has a big time treat on punts, Bama almost broke the opening KO for a TD and Florida has a big time PR. The performance on special teams returns has been horrible.

Bad luck in the bama game as it grazed Banks.
In Florida game, one guy was supposed to block the lone Florida guy while the other two secured the ball. They all went for the ball and lost.
In Auburn game we came close but by the time it was over, the ball was on the 25 yard line so it didn't cost us anything.

I say we keep doing it, not much to lose especially if you kick it 15 yards back, the scrum will head towards the 25 yard line again.

Told buddy this weekend while watching - one of these weeks, an onside kick is going to win us a game. The three I have seen so far this year have been really close.

Even a blind dog finds a bone once in a while. So, yes, eventually we will have one be helpful rather than just give the other team a short field.

Onside kicks are LOW percentage plays, and Pruitt calls too many of them IMO.

Bad luck in the bama game as it grazed Banks.
In Florida game, one guy was supposed to block the lone Florida guy while the other two secured the ball. They all went for the ball and lost.
In Auburn game we came close but by the time it was over, the ball was on the 25 yard line so it didn't cost us anything.

I say we keep doing it, not much to lose especially if you kick it 15 yards back, the scrum will head towards the 25 yard line again.

It worked great for Hal Mumme.

I don't understand how a coach who likes to run onside kicks - a low percentage play- won't try to put points on the board at the end of the first half.

VN Store

Back