One more comment about Saturdays play calling

wmcovol

Most here say that Helton called a good game except for one series (the series immediately after Kongbo's INT).

I would add one other series where I think he was way too conservative. After Palmer caught the deep ball in the 4th qtr to give the Vols 1st and goal at the 7, up 27-17, Helton called two routine running plays and then a corner throw that was covered and thrown away. Being up 10 there, a TD and XPT puts the game practically out of reach whereas a FG gives us the infamous 13 pt lead and we know what can happen. I think the offense has to be more aggressive there, even if you fear pressure, get the ball out quick on first or second down but really try to score a TD there to put the game away. Im not sure what running plays he saw up to that point that was going to get a TD against that defense packed in.

Fortunately Auburn dropped the TD pass shortly thereafter or we'd really been sweating the last drive.

on CJP show Sunday.. He said that drive was his fault and he should have told them to call it like a 4 down drive...He said they should have gone for it and called it differently..
Not sure that makes me feel better or not. Frankly, Tennessee has big WRs and Auburn had a small CB on one side. Damn if I'd have to try a quick screen with blockers, tunnel screen or a fade on him a couple times. I think Vols could have run it 6 plays from the 7 and wouldnt have got it in based on the results up to that point in the game ....JMO

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
I hate that shot to the corner on third and goal. Low percentage especially the way we run it. We have the height but need to do it earlier like first down.

I still do not understand the almost ritualistic running plays on 1st down.
The only thing I can come up with is to draw the defense in setting up play action pass. If we can get teams counting on us to run on 1st down it will make it easier to pass on 1st down. It all about getting them to play the run when we are passing and play the pass when we are running.

The only thing I can come up with is to draw the defense in setting up play action pass. If we can get teams counting on us to run on 1st down it will make it easier to pass on 1st down. It all about getting them to play the run when we are passing and play the pass when we are running.

Rock, paper, scissors.

In all the excitement, I didn't pay close attention. But, it seemed like the successful pass plays were pretty simple, designed with one target, no reading or thinking required. The only one that didn't seem that way was maybe a busted play and the receiver wasn't expecting the throw in his direction and missed.

Anyway, not to take anything away from JG's performance and execution, because he was outstanding. Just curious. Regardless, whatever works!

If we threw an interception you would've wanted to lynch him for not running it.

Actually I wouldnt have cause 13 pts isnt significantly more than 10 in football numbers. Only difference is it makes Auburn go for it on 4th down every time instead of taking a fg at some point. They still have to score twice there.

And if Auburn had caught that pass for a TD and the Vols ended up losing by 1.......well we know no one second guesses the coach there, right?

Except we do it nearly every single time, I could be wrong but I think it was something like 13 out of 14 1st down plays were runs

Except we do it nearly every single time, I could be wrong but I think it was something like 13 out of 14 1st down plays were runs

I was thinking more like 20 out of 21(I don’t know the real number either.). It just sells the play action that much better. As long as the times we throw on 1st it’s down field or a slant with a chance to score rather than some silly 5 yard out that they catch as they are going out of bounds.

VN Store

Back