Old Vols

we had a barber shop and florist at the old store too. Doug Atkins use to come in and get his hair cut. His frame filled the whole doorway, He was a big man and combed his hair staight back. The store was in what was then Inskip. Clation trailers took over the spot, the old tillery theater was across the street

Reactions: 2 people
I think he is saying that his friend is deceased. The friend was a friend of Doug Atkins. I don't think he is saying tha Doug is deceased. I don't know for sure. But I follow sports closely and I not recall hearing about his passing.

Yeah you're right. Man, my reading comprehension skills are on par with a Bamer. :crazy:

I think he is saying that his friend is deceased. The friend was a friend of Doug Atkins. I don't think he is saying tha Doug is deceased. I don't know for sure. But I follow sports closely and I not recall hearing about his passing.
My friend died of cancer several years back. He worked for a wholesale florist supply in Knoxville, and his wife was an exec with a beer distributor in Knoxville. The distributor was well connected to the athletic dept. Doug is alive, but I don't believe that he is in very good health now.

O.P.-the "Big O" reference-thought U were an escapee from the football forum! "Bambi", "Hacksaw", "When Johnny Comes Marching Home", George Mooney and John Ward-I listened to those two and could see the game in "my mind"s eye"!

Reactions: 1 person
A friend of my Dad's named Bill Evans was Doug's roommate for a while in '51. Bill was a freshman (I think) & I don't remember what Doug was but I met him, Wow! To a four year old kid he was a monster. Of course most every grown up looked really BIG to me then. Been a Vol fan ever since. One of the few good things I remember from back then.
Oh yeah, I think Bill got thrown out of school before 1952, lost his scholarship & never played, went to Korea instead, meanest SOB I ever knew.
Just one of the few things I remember from back then.
GBO - Give em hell butch!

Reactions: 2 people
O.P.-the "Big O" reference-thought U were an escapee from the football forum! "Bambi", "Hacksaw", "When Johnny Comes Marching Home", George Mooney and John Ward-I listened to those two and could see the game in "my mind"s eye"!
I also have a good Hacksaw Reynolds story. I believe that it was my sophomore year (1968-9) at U.T. while I was living in Reese Hall. There was a guy from Cincinnati who lived in the next suite to me named Tom something. I can't remember his last name. Anyway, he went to high school with Reynolds and they had remained friends. Reynolds would come over on occasion to visit Tom.

I didn't get to know Reynolds very well, but one night one of my suite mates was drunk, and when he was drunk, he was hard to handle. This suite mate was from Johnson City, and about 6 feet and 185 pounds, and pretty muscular.

Well, after about 30 minutes of putting up with the drunk guy, I saw Reynolds getting off the elevator. I asked for his help in getting the situation under control. I need to add that the drunk suite mate also knew who Hacksaw was. Well, Hacksaw went into Tom's room , got a baseball helmet, the hard plastic type, but no ear flap. It was dark blue and matched Hacksaw'a blue nylon light jacket, which was zipped about half way up. He was not wearing a shirt underneath.

Within a couple of minutes , the drunk goes out in the hall and starts raising hell, and here comes Reynolds, with the baseball helmet on backwards, growling at my drunk suite mate, and telling him that he needed to straighten up, and that he was in the next room and tired of listening to him. He was crouched like he was in his linebacker stance. Well , the suite mate ran back in his room, got under the bed, and we didn't hear another peep out of him the rest of the night. I swear to God, that's the truth. We all had a good laugh later.

Reactions: 4 people
A friend of mine, Elvin Little who coached BB at Science Hill and coached Steve Spurrier. Played BB for UT and was Doug Adkins room mate at UT. He is 80+ and lives here in Johnson City.

My dad gave Condredge Holloway's mom a job at IBM in the early 70's. We went to the same church as Condredge. He was 4 years older than me, though. I got to see him throw to Dwight Scales (played for Grambling and then for the San Diego Chargers for a little while) while they were playing for Lee High School at Milton Frank Stadium.

Did I win?

So,uhhhh,why do they call you the Tumbleweed? Do you like to smoke the weed and tumble? Or tumble and smoke weed? Just kidding,sir. I`d ask Mike,but I`m stuck in Jimtown. I grew up during the 80s. I was 18 during the 98 season. I was so happy for my Vols and Tennessee. I have to admit that the Championship was bittersweet. I really felt that Peyton was screwed out of it and the Heisman. STILL DO! I have listened to every Vol game for over 20 years. I`ve been able to watch 1 game at Neyland in 91. It is one of my fondest childhood memories. My dad and I got to watch Andy Kelly whup up on Memphis 52-17. At the end of the 3rd,everyone in the stands started chanting"Shuler! Shuler!". I asked dad what was going on. lol. Then they announced Heath Shuler(Fr) was coming into the game at QB. I don`t remember him making any spectacular plays,but I`ll always remember the whole crowd chanting his name in unison. That`s the kind of fans we wer3e and need to be again. We all need to support our Vols,win or lose. I have been so disappointed since 06 in our performance. But I still cheer even if we are down 45-0. I,like most of us,am a true VFL. I will always be proud to wear Big Orange regardless of our record. We will be back. I remember living in Bama from 00-04 and seeing how bad they sucked. There were UT flags everywhere. There was way more Tennessee bandwagoneers than there are Bama ones in Tennessee today. Well,I believe I have successfully rambled a semi-coherent post. Go Vols!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Huh? Peyton did not choose Tennessee over anyone. Archie chose David Cutcliff for his boys. Cut just happened to be at UT for one & at Ole Miss for the other.
I really didn't understand most of your post, but don't feel bad, most posters on here make little sense, me included.

Peyton did choose Tennessee over Ole Miss, and Florida, with Michigan and Notre Dame somewhere behind those. You can bet Archie would have let him play for his alma mater Ole Miss -- indeed he caught all kinds of hell for not doing that -- or even for Spurrier at Florida, no slouch at developing qb's while he was down there.

Peyton's own words after the deciding weekend where he visited both Ole Miss and us during bitter cold and ice storm: "... for some reason, Tennessee felt right. For some reason, I thought right then it would be a good fit. Evidently that's how these things play out. On gut feelings."

Peyton did choose Tennessee over Ole Miss, and Florida, with Michigan and Notre Dame somewhere behind those. You can bet Archie would have let him play for his alma mater Ole Miss -- indeed he caught all kinds of hell for not doing that -- or even for Spurrier at Florida, no slouch at developing qb's while he was down there.

Peyton's own words after the deciding weekend where he visited both Ole Miss and us during bitter cold and ice storm: "... for some reason, Tennessee felt right. For some reason, I thought right then it would be a good fit. Evidently that's how these things play out. On gut feelings."

He may say that, but you better believe that he did all his homework and chose the school that would give him the best opportunity to succeed. Peyton always uses reason rather than emotion, hence why he went to TN instead of Ole Piss and the Broncos instead of the Titans.

He may say that, but you better believe that he did all his homework and chose the school that would give him the best opportunity to succeed. Peyton always uses reason rather than emotion, hence why he went to TN instead of Ole Piss and the Broncos instead of the Titans.

Agreed. :hi:

Love hearing stories from the past. Thanks y'all!! Especially 1972Grad!! That was awesome.

Mike intercepted a pass in the end zone to seal the win against Alabama to end their long winning streak - 1982

I had the pleasure of meeting him and others as part of the FCA. He was quite an inspiration

Was sitting right behind the goal post and when Terry grabbed that ball, I almost had a heart attack because Alabama had marched the length of the field and it looked as if we were going to lose our umpteenth time in a row to them....Then I and almost 100,00 of fellow Vols yelled and yelled and yelled and watched both goal post come down...One of the greatest moments in Vol history. Of course it was the Bear's last game against Tn and that made it more special...Majors shook hands with Bear sitting on the shoulders of his players...Greatest of moments....

Love hearing stories from the past. Thanks y'all!! Especially 1972Grad!! That was awesome.
Glad you enjoyed it. I have another story from the late 60's. In the first quarter of my freshman year in the fall of 1967, I had a Spanish Lab with Gary Wright, who was the U.T. placekicker who missed THE FIELD GOAL against Alabama in 1966. The game was played in Knoxville in the rain on the 3rd Saturday in October.

Anyway, Tennessee had a 21 yard field goal to win the game at the end. The attempt was from the right hash mark at a sharp angle. The kick sailed high over the right upright and was called no good. The fans in the North end zone reacted like it was good, and Dewey Warren, the QB and holder on the kick jumped in the air to celebrate the kick. Wright said that he didn't know if it was good or not because he kept his head down. Tennessee lost 11-10 that day, and Wright had a hard time getting over it. They nicknamed him "Wide Wright." To make it worse, he was from Heflin, Alabama and was offered a scholarship to Alabama, but chose U.T. instead.

When I met Wright , in the fall of 67, he was on crutches from catching his cleats in the turf on a kickoff in practice, and tearing a ligament in his knee. Karl Kremser , U.T.'s first soccer style kicker, took over the placekicking duties for that year of 1967. U.T. lost only the first game to UCLA, and the Orange Bowl game to Oklahoma that year, when Kremser missed a 44 yard field goal at the end of the game to lose 26-24.

Wright and I remained friends through that, his senior year, and I went out and kicked with , and held for him when he was preparing for a tryout with the Cleveland Browns. Through Wright I met Herman "Thunderfoot" Weaver, who later punted for the Detroit Lions for years.

Weaver was a tall, lanky country boy from Villa Rica, Georgia, who could punt the football a mile. He, Wright, and I played golf at the old Wallace Hills in the spring of 68. Weaver brought out the cigars, and the 3 college kids smoked cigars, walked around Wallace Hills, and had a heck of a time. I was a pretty good golfer, shooting around par, while those 2 guys weren't too good. I remember on one hole, Weaver drove some par 4 hole and 3 putted for his par. Don't think that he didn't hear about that one from us on the way home.

Was sitting right behind the goal post and when Terry grabbed that ball, I almost had a heart attack because Alabama had marched the length of the field and it looked as if we were going to lose our umpteenth time in a row to them....Then I and almost 100,00 of fellow Vols yelled and yelled and yelled and watched both goal post come down...One of the greatest moments in Vol history. Of course it was the Bear's last game against Tn and that made it more special...Majors shook hands with Bear sitting on the shoulders of his players...Greatest of moments....
I wasn't too far from you that day. I was in the corner of that end zone in Section Z 12, where we had season tickets then. That was about as excited as I have been at a football game. Good memories, but I did not remember who intercepted the pass. I can still see it in my mind.

I'm tying to figure out where this thread goes or what it means! I'm an old vol who grew when the Big O was growing up before me and it evolved to a National Championship! Go Big O! Next thing is that we all have been through the ups and downs of the Volnation and we will always be. We're not the media darlings, we're not always on top but, when it comes to people who make since in the world it is always the Big O! Do you all not realize that Peyton Mannning chose us over a lot of schools. It's because we have minds and make sense in the real world. Based on nothing more than we come from hard work that leaned to think. Ask Mike Terry and why he called me Tumbleweed. Look him up and find out his great venture into the world of athletics and why he is the most special person I ever met! End of story! Go Big O!! :clapping:

Yeah, I know. Well, so, I’m tendin’ bar down there at Ecklund and Swedlin’s last Tuesday and this little guy’s drinkin’ and he says, ‘So where can a guy find some action? I’m goin’ crazy out there at the lake.’ And I says, ‘What kinda action?’ and he says, ‘Woman action, what do I look like?’ And I says, ‘Well, what do I look like, I don’t arrange that kinda thing.’ And he says 'but I'm going crazy out there at the lake'. And I say 'Yeah, but this ain't that kind of a place'.

Anyways, he's drinking at the bar so I don't think a whole great big deal of it, but then Mrs. Mohra she heard about the homicides down here and thought I should call it in, so...I called it in. End of story.

Glad you enjoyed it. I have another story from the late 60's. In the first quarter of my freshman year in the fall of 1967, I had a Spanish Lab with Gary Wright, who was the U.T. placekicker who missed THE FIELD GOAL against Alabama in 1966. The game was played in Knoxville in the rain on the 3rd Saturday in October.

Anyway, Tennessee had a 21 yard field goal to win the game at the end. The attempt was from the right hash mark at a sharp angle. The kick sailed high over the right upright and was called no good. The fans in the North end zone reacted like it was good, and Dewey Warren, the QB and holder on the kick jumped in the air to celebrate the kick. Wright said that he didn't know if it was good or not because he kept his head down. Tennessee lost 11-10 that day, and Wright had a hard time getting over it. They nicknamed him "Wide Wright." To make it worse, he was from Heflin, Alabama and was offered a scholarship to Alabama, but chose U.T. instead.

When I met Wright , in the fall of 67, he was on crutches from catching his cleats in the turf on a kickoff in practice, and tearing a ligament in his knee. Karl Kremser , U.T.'s first soccer style kicker, took over the placekicking duties for that year of 1967. U.T. lost only the first game to UCLA, and the Orange Bowl game to Oklahoma that year, when Kremser missed a 44 yard field goal at the end of the game to lose 26-24.

Wright and I remained friends through that, his senior year, and I went out and kicked with , and held for him when he was preparing for a tryout with the Cleveland Browns. Through Wright I met Herman "Thunderfoot" Weaver, who later punted for the Detroit Lions for years.

Weaver was a tall, lanky country boy from Villa Rica, Georgia, who could punt the football a mile. He, Wright, and I played golf at the old Wallace Hills in the spring of 68. Weaver brought out the cigars, and the 3 college kids smoked cigars, walked around Wallace Hills, and had a heck of a time. I was a pretty good golfer, shooting around par, while those 2 guys weren't too good. I remember on one hole, Weaver drove some par 4 hole and 3 putted for his par. Don't think that he didn't hear about that one from us on the way home.

Dewey Warren was my husband's coach for a year or so in high school (husband played safety and flanker). Lovin' the stories!

Ok I'll go on. I grew up in East Tenn. I got giving nothing! I watched the Christian shows at 11:00 o'clock and found Notre Dame football playback at the same time. Then I discovered at 12:00 PM I think, the Doug Dickey show. The Tennessee Volunteers. Suddenly before my eyes I saw Bobby Majors take a punt back for a TD. It was Tennessee and I was from Tennesssee, so I was Hooked! Then I think it was Conrad Graham who intercepted a pitchout from a quarterback from Kentucky and took it to the house. Go Big O!! I was all Big O right then. :peace2:

Carl Johnson

Ok I'll go on. I grew up in East Tenn. I got giving nothing! I watched the Christian shows at 11:00 o'clock and found Notre Dame football playback at the same time. Then I discovered at 12:00 PM I think, the Doug Dickey show. The Tennessee Volunteers. Suddenly before my eyes I saw Bobby Majors take a punt back for a TD. It was Tennessee and I was from Tennesssee, so I was Hooked! Then I think it was Conrad Graham who intercepted a pitchout from a quarterback from Kentucky and took it to the house. Go Big O!! I was all Big O right then. :peace2:

Can't believe you chose the Doug Dickey show over "your old neighbour J. Bazzel and Mrs. Mull" with the M-U-L-L—Singing Convention." What kind of christian are you? Ahhhh good times they were.

Actually I think Mull was on Saturday instead of Sunday and I think Bill Battle was actually the first to have a coaches show at UT. Anyway "we move along to further action" as Lidsey Nelson would say.

Last edited:
Can't believe you choose the Doug Dickey show over your old neighbour J. Bazzel and Mrs. Mull' with the M-U-L-L—Singing Convention." What kind of christian are you? Ahhhh good times they were.

Actually I think Mull was on Saturday instead of Sunday but "we move along to further action" as Lidsey Nelson would say.
Cas Walker's got the biggest nuts in town, ain't that right Lady Mull?

VN Store

Back