Oklahoma Fires Mike Stoops!

hahaha, but some people thought the 48-45 loss was an entertaining game. No, you need to play some D to win championships

Oklahoma hasn't had a good defense in years. With a few exceptions, not even Brent Venables was all that great there. It would be an exaggeration to say that Oklahoma ran Venables out of town, but they weren't exactly sad to see him go.

Oklahoma's defensive problems on Saturday didn't appear to be scheme-related. Their defensive line was simply getting blown off the ball. Ehlinger was running designed QB runs off tackle and getting 7 yards before he was even touched. If you watched the LOS on those plays, Oklahoma's entire defensive line was getting pushed back 3 yards.

This is a chicken or the egg thing...are Big 12 defenses so bad because their offenses are so good, or are the offenses so good because the defenses are bad?

Oklahoma has a single bad game against its rival and their long-time DC is fired the next day (well, most likely it happened immediately but the media got wind today). Talk about high standards!

Not accepting excuses seems to be a trend amoung good teams, wish more Tennessee fans would catch on.

Oklahoma has a single bad game against its rival and their long-time DC is fired the next day (well, most likely it happened immediately but the media got wind today). Talk about high standards!
I was kind of surprised they made the move this quickly, but this is by no means a firing because of a single bad game. A lot of Oklahoma people haven't been thrilled with Stoops ever since his first year. It's not as popular to say now because he moved on to Clemson and has had huge success, but Brent Venables never exactly had shut down defenses there either.

I was kind of surprised they made the move this quickly, but this is by no means a firing because of a single bad game. A lot of Oklahoma people haven't been thrilled with Stoops ever since his first year. It's not as popular to say now because he moved on to Clemson and has had huge success, but Brent Venables never exactly had shut down defenses there either.

sure, but Oklahoma has done nothing but win football games. they still fire a coach on the spot in the middle of a season. could you imagine if UT did that?

sure, but Oklahoma has done nothing but win football games. they still fire a coach on the spot in the middle of a season. could you imagine if UT did that?
Depends. Yes, if our program was currently in the same state as Oklahoma's. Would we do that today? Of course not, because our whole team is bad.

A lot of fans and boosters wouldn't tolerate a defense that can't stop a nosebleed, especially if we had a Heisman-caliber QB and high octane offense, and the defense was the thing holding us back from a potential national championship. A lot of Oklahoma's fans are still salty about their Rose Bowl performance from last year. Blew a big lead, ran a lot of 3-man fronts against a power running team, etc. Remember the game with Texas is a huge rivalry game too, and despite Texas being down for the past several years they are actually 3-3 against Oklahoma since 2013. There is a lot of frustration with Oklahoma's inability to consistently beat Texas in recent years.

I know the Big 12 is an offensive paradise, but look at some of those points allowed from last season. 41 to Baylor, 52 to Oklahoma St, 54 to Georgia. Go back to 2016...45 to Ohio St, 46 to TCU, 40 to Texas, 59 to Texas Tech. 48 to Texas this year. They actually won most of those games because their offense is so good, but it isn't like they are recruiting scrubs on that side of the ball. It's hard to match good teams score for score like that consistently.

Not accepting excuses seems to be a trend amoung good teams, wish more Tennessee fans would catch on.
It doesn’t matter what us fans think. What’s good is we have a general in Phillip Fulmer calling the shots. I believe Fulmer is giving these guys time to get the right players and let them try there system. If it doesn’t work things will change. I also Believe Fulmer knows he has his man in Pruitt. They both might be scepticle as us fans are with Helton.(there obviously not gonna come out and say it publicly) If our offense doesn’t do what it needs to do, Pruitt will can Helton before Fulmer even has to say anything.

Not sure if that’s where your thought process was at in your post or not, but assumed it was...

It doesn’t matter what us fans think. What’s good is we have a general in Phillip Fulmer calling the shots. I believe Fulmer is giving these guys time to get the right players and let them try there system. If it doesn’t work things will change. I also Believe Fulmer knows he has his man in Pruitt. They both might be scepticle as us fans are with Helton.(there obviously not gonna come out and say it publicly) If our offense doesn’t do what it needs to do, Pruitt will can Helton before Fulmer even has to say anything.
Weird, folks spend alot of time telling people.what the fans think really matters, for you to say it doesnt. Actually one or two fellas think the fans are to blame for the last decade. That wasnt what I was thinking, I was more poking fun at fellow fans with all the excuse making. But since you assumed....noone in our athletic department has shown any competence in nearly a decade, so until they do I assume they wont.

VN Store

Back