Official Mayweather VS McGregor Thread

Except you thought it pertinent to point out McG talked first. It's all fight promotion. McG is a visionary and deserves every bit of that $100m

That has zero to do with it. Not surprised you interjected it into the conversation though.

That has zero to do with it. Not surprised you interjected it into the conversation though.

McG talked smack and backed it up. Mayweather talked smack and will never back it up. If you don't want to hear people talk about hypothetical matchups, stay out of the barber shop. This is what the fight game is all about.

McG talked smack and backed it up. Mayweather talked smack and will never back it up. If you don't want to hear people talk about hypothetical matchups, stay out of the barber shop. This is what the fight game is all about.

McGregor was saying he would knock out Floyd in two rounds. He came nowhere remotely close to backing it up.

Reactions: 1 person
McGregor was saying he would knock out Floyd in two rounds. He came nowhere remotely close to backing it up.

Sure. I just meant he backed up his expressed intent to meet Mayweather in a boxing ring. Mayweather stopped McGregor from knocking him out in the first two rounds. Nothing is stopping Mayweather from stepping in the octagon.

Sure. I just meant he backed up his expressed intent to meet Mayweather in a boxing ring. Mayweather stopped McGregor from knocking him out in the first two rounds. Nothing is stopping Mayweather from stepping in the octagon.

Mayweather has a lot more to lose

Floyd went at McGregor because he knew he could and still wouldn't lose, so that's not exactly a fair comparison

Good point, but Mayweather pulled the trigger in the 4th round. McGregor scored 26 hits (16 power punches) in the first 3 rounds, so that's a pace of 104.

21077500_1642375452459963_709737468764042202_n.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
I bet McGregor got hammered after the fight and ate some Irish food and then puked all over his hotel room

But only 1 of those got TKOd.

FM is arguably the best defensive boxer ever. Remember several years ago when everyone said the SEC plays boring, defensive football...but all they did was win. FM is the same way.

Against boxers he takes his time, plays defensive, and capitalizes when he can. He had a good strategy against CM, and he executed it flawlessly. Because he was more aggressive, he took more punches. I'd like to see a count of how many of those were slap punches that were essentially non-effective. Floyd looked like he hadn't been touched at the end of this one.

But only 1 of those got TKOd.

FM is arguably the best defensive boxer ever. Remember several years ago when everyone said the SEC plays boring, defensive football...but all they did was win. FM is the same way.

Against boxers he takes his time, plays defensive, and capitalizes when he can. He had a good strategy against CM, and he executed it flawlessly. Because he was more aggressive, he took more punches. I'd like to see a count of how many of those were slap punches that were essentially non-effective. Floyd looked like he hadn't been touched at the end of this one.

All of this is fine, but as I already pointed out, MM did play defensive for 3 rounds and got hit 26 times, 16 power punches. Those are significant numbers compared to the matchups I compared it to.

All of this is fine, but as I already pointed out, MM did play defensive for 3 rounds and got hit 26 times, 16 power punches. Those are significant numbers compared to the matchups I compared it to.

That's because other professional boxers take the same early-round approach as FM...because it works.

It wasn't wise for CM to come out swinging. He knew it after the first few rounds. But then again it WAS wise, because getting lucky and landing a few shots early was really the only chance he had.

That's because other professional boxers take the same early-round approach as FM...because it works.

It wasn't wise for CM to come out swinging. He knew it after the first few rounds. But then again it WAS wise, because getting lucky and landing a few shots early was really the only chance he had.

No, they don't...

Canelo threw 27, 38, then 37. He landed 20 shots. 7 power punches.

Pacquiao threw 29, 44, then 35. He landed 14 shots. 11 power punches.

McG threw 34, 42, then 39. He landed 26 shots. 16 power punches.

Interesting. Oh well. 40-yr-old/2-yrs-removed/KOd-one-person-in-a-decade Mayweather won convincingly as expected. CM came out aggressive and paid for it later.

I don't think that the fact that FM is 40 and hasn't been in a competive fight since May of 2015 is being taken into enough consideration. I believe any of the current top young boxers would destroy FM in his current condition and that is why he wanted to box a young ufc fighter. That way he could get his 50th win and say it wasn't against a chump. ohhh..... and make a lottery sized pay check.

I don't think that the fact that FM is 40 and hasn't been in a competive fight since May of 2015 is being taken into enough consideration. I believe any of the current top young boxers would destroy FM in his current condition and that is why he wanted to box a young ufc fighter. That way he could get his 50th win and say it wasn't against a chump. ohhh..... and make a lottery sized pay check.

This is a valid consideration, but it might not be significant. Fighters age differently than other athletes, particularly ones who haven't taken much damage. You won't be able to find any basketball players who are still in their prime in their late 30's, but it's not that uncommon for fighters to be their best well into their 40's. That being said, some fighters fall off in their early 30's. Everybody is different.

26 months really isn't that long of a layoff for a fighter. It's not a sport you can play at full speed every day. You have to take layoffs and they all pretty much take at least 6 months off between fights. Mayweather took 21 months off before defeating JMM.

Hardly call them power punches. As big as Conor was, as much as he talks up his power...he never came close to hurting Floyd. Not a single damn punch. Floyd is past 40, and was literally allowing Conor to try his hardest until about the 4th. I think part of that was Floyd wanted it to be percieved as a good fight, and part of it was Floyd knew it would play into tiring Conor out.

Reactions: 1 person
This is a valid consideration, but it might not be significant. Fighters age differently than other athletes, particularly ones who haven't taken much damage. You won't be able to find any basketball players who are still in their prime in their late 30's, but it's not that uncommon for fighters to be their best well into their 40's. That being said, some fighters fall off in their early 30's. Everybody is different.

26 months really isn't that long of a layoff for a fighter. It's not a sport you can play at full speed every day. You have to take layoffs and they all pretty much take at least 6 months off between fights. Mayweather took 21 months off before defeating JMM.

I'm actually curious...what high level fighters are still fighting at that high level "well into their 40s"?

Hardly call them power punches. As big as Conor was, as much as he talks up his power...he never came close to hurting Floyd. Not a single damn punch. Floyd is past 40, and was literally allowing Conor to try his hardest until about the 4th. I think part of that was Floyd wanted it to be percieved as a good fight, and part of it was Floyd knew it would play into tiring Conor out.

LOL, OK

Regardless of how much actual power you think they had, a power punch is a cross, uppercut, or hook. They are harder to land than jabs. We have no idea how much they hurt Floyd. Yeah, he didn't get wobbly, but that's not the definition of a power punch. Pacquaio landed 63 power punches against Mayweather and he never hurt Floyd. They are still power punches.

VN Store

Back