Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

and they 100% can do/say whatever they want. regardless of code, what an expert, the manufacturer or anyone else says. they can even contradict the building department.
It's all about how they "interpret" the code unfortunately. We've had some in the past fail something that another inspector from the same dept passed.

My dad carried a disdain in his heart for building inspectors. It didn't do him any good though because he received no grace or kindness from them. I try to take a healthier approach. The lady in the permit office has been an absolute blessing. She is knowledgeable and happy to answer questions and give guidance. I figure if we just address the issues the inspector noted, learn how to better navigate the bureaucratic maze, and learn the lingo/processes it will be an overall win for us. Fingers crossed.

I've learned to smile and not argue. Save the arguing for latter with their boss who might actually have a clue.

It's all about how they "interpret" the code unfortunately. We've had some in the past fail something that another inspector from the same dept passed.
I see that all the time. We had a case that ended in a law suit because the owner couldn't get his CO because of contradictory requirements. The inspector was the "chief" inspector of this municipality and he refused to let something go, even though his recommendations objectively violated the code, were counter to the building department, and we felt made the building (that part) unsafe. if we made the building inspector happy, the building department wouldn't issue the final CO. If we made the building department happy the inspector wouldn't sign off. circles for months.

this was a large commercial project, not a single family house.

Inspectors can be great or not-so-great. We got a quiet one, unfortunately. He was actually surprised my contractor was on site and politely told him he didn't have to be there. He walked through and didn't say a word to anybody. Left without even a courtesy goodbye.

Luck of the draw with those folks.

100% and i am on the crap end of this scenario. This project i am trying to finish is 4 huge bldgs...almost 400 units. Built up so much credibility with the inspector from previous projects (and the 1st half of this project) that he would walk down the halls of each floor and maybe casually spot check 1 unit to make sure we were still minding our details etc....get these last 2 bldgs under roof now and start calling in framing inspections from the top down last week. New (younger. Which typically means "bad" same as with cops etc) inspector shows up. Proceeds to spend about an hour checking every brace on every member of each roof truss, every piece of hardware, every studpack and pointload etc. I checked all that myself before he came thankfully (part of my job and reason i dont fail expections but every 2 or 3 years usually) i had missed 1 brace and a couple of hurricane clips that arent on the truss profile but he wants installed anyway. So no big deal on this roof, but changing inspector mid job is always bad (unless the 1st guy was a nightmare maybe) because each inspector has their own pet peeves...and many codes are vaguely worded and interpreted differently by different inspectors. So I have Built these last 2 bldgs (180 units) in the manner that the 1st guy wanted me to...but if this new kid sees things differently he can make me tear out all kinds of stuff and redo it all at our expense. My last inspector would also walk my framing and give me a rough framing inspection before the MEPs go wild, because he knew my punch would be done making his walk easy and trusted me. This new guy wont look at any framing except the roof until all the MEPs pass their rough inspections....at which point all the pipe and wires will be run through all my walls and floor trusses...so if he does want something changed and i have to tear it out it will affect those trades too and probably get me a backcharge for any rework by them. No bueno, as they say in Poland.

Changing inspectors is never a good thing mid project on jobs pf this scope man. Neither is changing management for the GC...because then anything that boss told you or approved etc before he quit/usually got fired is meaningless and the GC never honors it. This includes Change Order work unless you can provide an airtight email/paper trail proving what was authorized. It can get ugly. Better off for everyone if the same folks who start these $40 to $50MM projects are the same folks that finish them.

* this may sound like insanity to yall i just remembered that. When i built a huge room addition in Knoxville, i only had 3 total inspections from checking footings before concrete to finish completed job. In NC every inspection is separate. Footings, foundation, several different framing inspections, Mechx2, Electx2,Plumbx2,insulation, firesprinkler...theres 10 or 12 separate inspections on an apartment bldg just by the city/county. I was thrilled to get everything passed in only 3 visits in knox.

Last edited:
and they 100% can do/say whatever they want. regardless of code, what an expert, the manufacturer or anyone else says. they can even contradict the building department.

And the codebook sometimes. Bastards the lot of em lol. I am at their mercy on every project i build. I call in a courtesy inspection though after i get a couple floors built on the 1st bldg of each project just to find out who he is...and let him put eyeballs on our work to find out what his pet peeves/quirks/micropenis calls for on each job. Its an effective practice folks and has saved us a bunch of time and money. Some of these clowns are crazy man and want certain aspects of the job done in strange ways.

Reactions: AM64 and McDad
I've learned to smile and not argue. Save the arguing for latter with their boss who might actually have a clue.

This is the way. Its a delicate situatìon. I will respectfully disagree and show a guy a detail in the plans that he isnt aware of etc while still kissing his ass if needed ...but I am not gonna get confrontational and argue or ever raise my voice. These cats can bury your entire project. Never make it personal lmao.

Have you learned how to slip them a few hundos discreetly? That may be in my near future.

Never tried that 1 but i have wanted to before. If this goes badly though, it could get ugly.

Reactions: McDad
These women continue to make bad choices with these athletes. They are better off looking for a regular guy. A lot of these guys are caught up in the reality TV version of life. Just my opinion.

100% and i am on the crap end of this scenario. This project i am trying to finish is 4 huge bldgs...almost 400 units. Built up so much credibility with the inspector from previous projects (and the 1st half of this project) that he would walk down the halls of each floor and maybe casually spot check 1 unit to make sure we were still minding our details etc....get these last 2 bldgs under roof now and start calling in framing inspections from the top down last week. New (younger. Which typically means "bad" same as with cops etc) inspector shows up. Proceeds to spend about an hour checking every brace on every member of each roof truss, every piece of hardware, every studpack and pointload etc. I checked all that myself before he came thankfully (part of my job and reason i dont fail expections but every 2 or 3 years usually) i had missed 1 brace and a couple of hurricane clips that arent on the truss profile but he wants installed anyway. So no big deal on this roof, but changing inspector mid job is always bad (unless the 1st guy was a nightmare maybe) because each inspector has their own pet peeves...and many codes are vaguely worded and interpreted differently by different inspectors. So I have Built these last 2 bldgs (180 units) in the manner that the 1st guy wanted me to...but if this new kid sees things differently he can make me tear out all kinds of stuff and redo it all at our expense. My last inspector would also walk my framing and give me a rough framing inspection before the MEPs go wild, because he knew my punch would be done making his walk easy and trusted me. This new guy wont look at any framing except the roof until all the MEPs pass their rough inspections....at which point all the pipe and wires will be run through all my walls and floor trusses...so if he does want something changed and i have to tear it out it will affect those trades too and probably get me a backcharge for any rework by them. No bueno, as they say in Poland.

Changing inspectors is never a good thing mid project on jobs pf this scope man. Neither is changing management for the GC...because then anything that boss told you or approved etc before he quit/usually got fired is meaningless and the GC never honors it. This includes Change Order work unless you can provide an airtight email/paper trail proving what was authorized. It can get ugly. Better off for everyone if the same folks who start these $40 to $50MM projects are the same folks that finish them.

* this may sound like insanity to yall i just remembered that. When i built a huge room addition in Knoxville, i only had 3 total inspections from checking footings before concrete to finish completed job. In NC every inspection is separate. Footings, foundation, several different framing inspections, Mechx2, Electx2,Plumbx2,insulation, firesprinkler...theres 10 or 12 separate inspections on an apartment bldg just by the city/county. I was thrilled to get everything passed in only 3 visits in knox.

I spent something over ten years working on ASME standards. When I headed a working group, my intentions were always require only what needs to be, be as precise and concise in stating what is required as possible, and look for any way that someone could misinterpret. It always goes off the rails when people who supposedly enforce requirement but don't technically understand the topic covered by the standard become involved. If someone attempts to do better than the standard requires, the enforcement people never seem to get it; often the standard or code becomes the lowest common denominator for what some desk jockey with no actual experience believes ... you can do better and risk being noncompliant.

The other part is that it is an unbelievably difficult process to write a code or standard and get it passed through the consensus process at all levels. I managed that for one standard and actually got an attaboy for getting it done and approved in record time - and it felt like time stood still through the whole multiyear process. It's like the rules for sports ... and then watching the variance in how officials apply the rules and realizing the implementation often seems to be at odds with why the rule was even developed.

I spent something over ten years working on ASME standards. When I headed a working group, my intentions were always require only what needs to be, be as precise and concise in stating what is required as possible, and look for any way that someone could misinterpret. It always goes off the rails when people who supposedly enforce requirement but don't technically understand the topic covered by the standard become involved. If someone attempts to do better than the standard requires, the enforcement people never seem to get it; often the standard or code becomes the lowest common denominator for what some desk jockey with no actual experience believes ... you can do better and risk being noncompliant.

The other part is that it is an unbelievably difficult process to write a code or standard and get it passed through the consensus process at all levels. I managed that for one standard and actually got an attaboy for getting it done and approved in record time - and it felt like time stood still through the whole multiyear process. It's like the rules for sports ... and then watching the variance in how officials apply the rules and realizing the implementation often seems to be at odds with why the rule was even developed.

Exactly. Agree with all of this. Good analogy at the end too.

Reactions: AM64
Attended auction Saturday. Got a craftsman tool cabinet with lots of tools. Had them soak for a few days in CLR to remove the rust.
I figure I have over $500 in tools alone. Paid $175. All cleaned up great. Didn't need to throw away any.
Also picked up a bench grinder for $20, 10 gallon air compressor for $25, and a 5 gal gas can (before the safety spout was a thing) for $15.

Attended auction Saturday. Got a craftsman tool cabinet with lots of tools. Had them soak for a few days in CLR to remove the rust.
I figure I have over $500 in tools alone. Paid $175. All cleaned up great. Didn't need to throw away any.
Also picked up a bench grinder for $20, 10 gallon air compressor for $25, and a 5 gal gas can (before the safety spout was a thing) for $15.

Man you killed it. Nice. My amigos love the flea market, and apparently over here many other amigos have booths at several flea markets in the area. These guys are always getting tools and stuff at "these musta fell off a truck" type prices. Brand new stuff (packaged) of all kinds pertaining to construction anyway. I have never been one to buy goods though that may be stolen...not only would it break within a week, the resulting battery fire in that drill would burn my car to the ground with all my stuff in it at 3am as I slept.

Anyway , great job bud. Happy for you. Good eye seeing wrenches and stuff you could rescue. Mechanics hand tools have gone way up in this ridiculous inflation.

Reactions: McDad
Super excited. Booked flight and hotel for Oklahoma. Hotel I booked within ten minutes of schedule of being announced. So I got a room at the Hampton Inn 2 miles from stadium for $135 a night. They hadn't jacked them up yet. I put my new roof on my delta Amex so wife and I are flying for free. Just got to pay out for tickets and car rental now. Decent tickets going for around $300 per.

Super excited. Booked flight and hotel for Oklahoma. Hotel I booked within ten minutes of schedule of being announced. So I got a room at the Hampton Inn 2 miles from stadium for $135 a night. They hadn't jacked them up yet. I put my new roof on my delta Amex so wife and I are flying for free. Just got to pay out for tickets and car rental now. Decent tickets going for around $300 per.
Oh no.

Not the one on conference drive???

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

VN Store

Back