Offensive film breakdown: spring game, big difference from 2017

Let's tap the brakes a little bit...I am not going to draw any conclusions in a scrimmage against a defense that was one of the worst in Power5 football last year.....

Reactions: 4 people
You do realize this is a discussion of scheme more than results, right?

It's an OrangeDefense Sunshine Pump thread, not a detailed discussion of our offensive scheme.

From a scheme perspective, I would think we kept our looks very basic and very vanilla so WV would have limited film to look at. That's one reason why I don't like drawing too many conclusions....

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
As stated already, our defense was horrific last year, and they showed no improvement in the Orange & White game. The 1st team defense was abysmal. ANY offense could light up our defense.

Also, Guarantano’s primary failing last season was that he held onto the ball too long. He still held onto the ball too long in the Spring game. Even on plays with completed passes he is throwing the ball too late. You can get away with that against our defense, but not against defenses that have a pulse.

So, there is no reason to find anything to be encouraged about and should look at every single aspect of our program through glass half empty with murky bilge water? Overly optimistic posts are entertaining, but some refuse to even consider letting a positive post go without bashing it into oblivion. We should all just consider next year's team 0-12 and find something better to do that watch the VOLS play football!

I talk to my nephew Brandon and said the Offense is explosive, but Pruitt is not playing the radio. Pruitt run a very tight ship.

Reactions: 6 people
It's an OrangeDefense Sunshine Pump thread, not a detailed discussion of our offensive scheme.

From a scheme perspective, I would think we kept our looks very basic and very vanilla so WV would have limited film to look at. That's one reason why I don't like drawing too many conclusions....

I guess the only conclusion I can draw is this. Even in the bland, vanilla form of our new look offensive scheme; it is already evident that there will be more variability in play calling. Once the fully detailed version is revealed against WV, who knows where it will stand.

It would be nice for at least one sunshine pumper post was allowed to exist unmarred to counterbalance the plethora of doom and gloom forecasts that dominate this forum these days.

So, there is no reason to find anything to be encouraged about and should look at every single aspect of our program through glass half empty with murky bilge water? Overly optimistic posts are entertaining, but some refuse to even consider letting a positive post go without bashing it into oblivion. We should all just consider next year's team 0-12 and find something better to do that watch the VOLS play football!

0-12 may likely be an impossible outcome for UT given the number of cupcakes on the schedule. Were it possible, last year’s team would have achieved it.

Nevertheless, it is impossible to learn much about the quality of our team from watching it scrimmage against each other, particularly given the staggering level of ineptitude shown on both sides of the ball last year. We should be a better team this year simply as a result of having a competent coaching staff. However, we are still going to be manhandled by the better teams on our schedule. A solid first step in the right direction for this year’s team would be to beat Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Missouri and South Carolina - all games that were once considered a mortal lock for wins but have recently become, more often than not, embarassing outcomes.

Reactions: 1 person

I will draw encouragement when our OL imposes their will on opponents and doesn't let teams like Umass and Ap State whip their a-s. I will not draw encouragement from a glorified scrimmage in which the coach said players quit.

Things like injuries, improvements in conditioning, and better execution are the items where I would draw encouragement or discouragement from in the Spring..

This is a nice write-up. I enjoyed it.

Very similar writing and composition style to the other VN fella who ended up getting a paid gig with 24/7 or BR or ESPN.

Reactions: 2 people
As stated already, our defense was horrific last year, and they showed no improvement in the Orange & White game. The 1st team defense was abysmal. ANY offense could light up our defense.

Also, Guarantano’s primary failing last season was that he held onto the ball too long. He still held onto the ball too long in the Spring game. Even on plays with completed passes he is throwing the ball too late. You can get away with that against our defense, but not against defenses that have a pulse.

Guarantano will not be the starter.

The OL splits look much better now than last year though. Splits looked way too tight last year. I expect the TE to be a big factor this year as well. I just looked and from what I can tell last year we were had 27 passes for 268 yards to the TE. USC had 29 passes for 428 yards.

I really don't understand much in terms of Xs and Os, but I really enjoy reading about them and all the different nuances that go with schemes and plays.

The OL splits look much better now than last year though. Splits looked way too tight last year. I expect the TE to be a big factor this year as well. I just looked and from what I can tell last year we were had 27 passes for 268 yards to the TE. USC had 29 passes for 428 yards.

Its about Freaking Time!!! :rock::rock:

I certainly hope so. We signed the #1 JUCO TE in the nation. He better be prominent.

Disagree that JG held the ball too long in the O&W game outside of 2-3 plays out of 30 or so drop backs. Especially in the second half, when he was letting the ball go consistently in sync the last step of drops. He had one bad one in particular, right before “the half” during the 2 or 4 minute hurry up offense....McElroy pointed it out. But outside of that and maybe another play or two, he was decisive and quick to get the ball out of his hand.

Reactions: 2 people
Reading the article I think there are a few things that are overblown/just flat wrong.

For instance the first part talking about personnel groupings. A chart is shown of an admittedly ad-hoc breakdown of personnel groupings from the spring game. This chart on its own only proves one thing.. this offense thus far hasn't changed nearly as much as people think/hope.According to the chart we lined up 70 times in 11 personnel and 21 in the others combined (10,12, 21). So you split that between the 2 squads and its like 35 to 10 11 personnel to everything else. So 75-80% of the time we were lined up in single back 3 wide. Now this chart actually does not mean anything without context or comparison.

How did we line up last season on a per snap basis/per game basis? From pure memory us lining up about 80% of the time in 11/12 is a solid number.. which matches this spring games numbers.

The second misleading thing in the article is that we are using the tight ends differently this year. I saw us many times lining up Tight ends both as H-backs, inline and flexed out. The rest was someone picking 1 or 2 of hundreds of plays the offense ran last year and comparing them to some plays run in the spring game with no real contextual link.

In short if the article has focused on positive things seen in the spring game instead of purposely focusing on comparing this team to last years team it would have done a lot better being valid. Or maybe if the writer had taken time to actually research what they are talking about. I mean there is plenty of ammo in game film and statistics sites that can be used to show the flaws of last years team and contrast against what it looks like is changing here. This article just does a terrible job of showing that.

That's the scary thing. the premise of the article is sound. It does look like there are changes in the offense and defense from the spring game. Then it completely fails to actually show those changes to the point of actually misrepresenting info. That's a slippery slope.

VN Store

Back