Of the 20,000 capacity, how many Vols there on Friday?

How many Vol fans will be 20,000 seat Detroit arena?

• More than 5,000

Votes: 60 37.5%

Votes: 27 16.9%

Votes: 31 19.4%

Votes: 28 17.5%

Votes: 11 6.9%

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters
My guess is about 50% will be Purdue.
20% Vols.
10% Gonzaga
10% Creighton
10% Unaffiliated

Obviously Purdue has the big travel edge. Purdue has 274 miles, while Tennessee has 524. So 4 hours vs 7.5 hours driving time. Obviously more Purdue fans can/will just drive it. Vol fans will be more apt to fly. I'd say your guess is a good one. I hope it's more like 40/30.

Some will wait and go all in for the Final Four.
I have had a ticket, lodging and air transportation for the Final 4 for a few months now. Brother lives in Goodyear and has tickets. Was there in 2017 and watched 3 officials make the UNC - Gonzaga game almost unwatchable. Tough trip for the wife as she is all in on UK.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
More importantly who will the Purdue fans cheer for? Will it seem like a home or away game to Tennessee? Or will they all just leave after their game leaving an almost empty arena?

More importantly who will the Purdue fans cheer for? Will it seem like a home or away game to Tennessee? Or will they all just leave after their game leaving an almost empty arena?
I wouldn't count on a home atmosphere. My guess they view us a more of a threat especially having played once this year already.

Reactions: vol94
Some leave before our game.
Some leave at halftime.
Those that stay root for 4 overtime’s.

Purdue travels very well....remembering their substantial numbers in Thompson-Boling vs Duke in the '92 (?) Elite Eight.

Reactions: ENGRVOL
Let's Gooooooooo! DK 34pts, ZZ locks down the little PG and has 8 assists & 0 TOs, Jonas plays even w thier big, JJJ locks down their 6'7" swiss army knife guy and scores 15pts, SV plays w usual grit and hits 4 3s, Awaka combos inside to give advantage in the paint and scores 12, Mashack leads our D in the most miserable NCAAT day Creighton has ever had! Vols win 14!

My son is a grad student at Michigan. One time we drove it in 9:40 min.'s., and that was coming from my Mom's house which is two miles from the Bama state line. We just packed some sandwiches; left at about 4;30 am and halued ass. Luckily they are not painting the bridge over the Ohio river bridge any more; that was always a huge traffic jam. Have fun; it's not a bad drive; especially if you are leaving from Nashville of Knoxville.

Purdue travels very well....remembering their substantial numbers in Thompson-Boling vs Duke in the '92 (?) Elite Eight.
It's going to be interesting to see what their fans do if, as I expect, they come out cold against Gonzaga and end up dropping that game. Given their expectations, I could see a lot of them bailing on the second session Friday night and it being a lackluster atmosphere for a Sweet 16 game. But if that happens, I would expect a surge of UT fans because of the number of tickets that would come available for the Sunday game, even though it is Easter. I could see 8-10k UT fans there Sunday in that scenario.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
This is a spin off of the seed watch thread where we all debated driving distances and cost for 3 weeks.

Reactions: VolCalls
I like the fact the region finals are in a 20,000 seat arena. We're more accustomed to playing in front of that sized crowd than anyone else in this bracket.

Reactions: Volfan1000
The Purdue fans will root for Creighton. I’ve seen a lot of them say out of all the teams to face in the tournament, TN is the last team they want to see.

‘94. Purdue will bring a ton of people. It’s ann easy drive and this is their best shot at crashing the Final Four for the first time in 44 years.

I like the fact the region finals are in a 20,000 seat arena. We're more accustomed to playing in front of that sized crowd than anyone else in this bracket.
Creighton plays in an 18,300 seat arena that’s regularly filled and Mackey Arena at Purdue holds over 14K. Gonzaga plays a handful of games each year vs power programs at neutral sites and also won in Rupp Arena this year.

I don’t think this is a factor at all.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Creighton plays in an 18,300 seat arena that’s regularly filled and Mackey Arena at Purdue holds over 14K. Gonzaga plays a handful of games each year vs power programs at neutral sites and also won in Rupp Arena this year.

I don’t think this is a factor at all.
Wow on Creighton's capacity. Otherwise, it can be significant for a shooter used to knocking them down in a band box

VN Store

Back